Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - TomTom And Motaquote Seek To Drive Down Insurance Costs
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

TomTom And Motaquote Seek To Drive Down Insurance Costs
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> News And Latest Information
View previous topic :: View next topic  
DennisN
Tired Old Man
Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2012 11:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

M8TJT wrote:
Still, it won't be long before everyone is charged the same premium regardless of risk. The ageism laws will come into force, like the sexism laws already have, by equaling out premiums for men and women regardless of the fact that women are statistically much lower risk drivers.

What do you mean by will? I get free annual family travel insurance with my bank account. BUT with an extra premium of £80 because I'm over 70!! Evil or Very Mad

If it tastes good - it's fattening.

Two of them are obesiting!!
via247
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2012 11:32 am    Post subject: Big Brother (Black Box) - Politically correct (BOX!) Reply with quote

Hi, and hello. with regards the "BOX" to encourage sensible driving. Well, such a thing is in existence now, its called a TACHOGRAPH! I have a digital one and its constantly blinking at me on the dash, you really can't ignore the thing!!!

This "BOX" records everything you do from the time you turn on the ignition and move to when you stop, with the exception of picking your nose and expelling air! Fiddling with it, fondling it or trying to fool it, incurs expensive fines and a spell in jail! The data stored is on this "BOX" for 12 months. Sending the data from time to time via a data feed is easy, but like one of the contributors in this forum has stated, monitoring this across millions of cars is impractical and impossible.... until you have an accident that is. just as is now, if you have an accident, I do hope you don't, but "accidents" are just that; but lets say you were not at fault, but the other "person" hits you from a side junction. You were on the phone as it happens. Irrespective of your driving prowess up to that point, all to prove how careful you are, this will have been negated by the POLICE interest in your call log before the accident. Using your mobile just before or at the time of the accident, will ensure YOU are proven to be at fault. So, the BLACK BOX in the end is an irrelevance. It is coming and frankly there is nothing anyone of us can do to stop it. Humans make mistakes, computers don't Cool
M8TJT
The Other Tired Old Man
The Other Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2012 11:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

DennisN wrote:
M8TJT wrote:
Still, it won't be long before everyone is charged the same premium regardless of risk. The ageism laws will come into force, like the sexism laws already have, by equaling out premiums for men and women regardless of the fact that women are statistically much lower risk drivers.

What do you mean by will? I get free annual family travel insurance with my bank account. BUT with an extra premium of £80 because I'm over 70!! Evil or Very Mad
My point exactly. At the moment they are allowed to charge according to risk (Us old people die earlier and get ill more often, and as such are a higher risk, aparantly:grin: ) with respect to age, i.e. the statistically less safe young drivers pay more, and quite rightly so, but young girls and boys will pay the same amount regardless of the fact that girls are a better risk (when driving) than boys. (Or to be more PC, boys = young males and girls = young females)
M8TJT
The Other Tired Old Man
The Other Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2012 11:52 am    Post subject: Re: Big Brother (Black Box) - Politically correct (BOX!) Reply with quote

via247 wrote:
with regards the "BOX" to encourage sensible driving. Well, such a thing is in existence now, its called a TACHOGRAPH! I have a digital one and its constantly blinking at me on the dash, you really can't ignore the thing!!!
But the one in the OP is reputed to be linked to insurance companies, not johny lawman so that he can keep his eye on such things Very Happy
topgearuk
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2012 11:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

MaFt wrote:
Only the start of what? People getting cheaper insurance by offering to be monitored to PROVE they are safe drivers?

It's been happening for years! Insurance companies say 'if you can prove your not going to put in silly little claims for tiny amounts then we will reduce your premium' and people say 'OK, I will put my excess up to £500 to prove I will not make lots of silly claims' and their premium goes down.

It's not different really... Or do you know something we don't? You certainly seem to be implying it!

MaFt

Maybe you are naive then! And I was giving you to much credit, firstly It will start with young driver's then it will spread and then you will see the talk of GPS systems that has already been talked about for charging a toll road ETC ETC ETC. And finally it will all become compulsory! But lets not argue lets come back in 5 years and see who right!

As for your other naive comment about car insurance, when your Excuse goes up and you think because you see a lower figure and your paying less you are better off? better off then the higher insurance but overall your not! That is a joke right??

I run 2 cars, one very high performance and a 1.4 polo and I'm paying more on my 1.4 polo with a £500 excess then I did x many years ago, when I was 17 driving and driving a 2 litre sports car as my 1st car with no experience and a £150 excess! And I have a clean licence and over 9 years no claims!
MaFt
Pocket GPS Staff
Pocket GPS Staff

PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2012 12:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

topgearuk wrote:
As for your other naive comment about car insurance, when your Excuse goes up and you think because you see a lower figure and your paying less you are better off?

Financially yes, you are better off as you are paying less. This is what we're discussing here. The aim of the black box is to get premiums down for people. I'm not getting into a discussion of the pro's and cons of different levels of insurance cover. Just pointing out that people accept various things in order to get their premiums down.

MaFt
Kremmen
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2012 1:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Insurance companies seem to be oblivious to risk in some cases.

I have a clean record since 1969. I have not cost them anything but a postage stamp each year. For the last few years Direct Line have given me initial quotes of about 65% above last years premium. A single phone call to tell them 'I'm off' soon brings that quote down to roughly last years premium.

If they do it again this year I'm off on the merry-go-round and start taking advantage of 'new customer' deals. It's quite easy.

So they will lose revenue from someone who is statistically unlikely to claim.

And all without a black box.
Viofo A119 V3
Car Average MPG :
flintg
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2012 1:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There are already companies out there doing this. My son is 19 and drives a 1.1 litre three cylinder Colt, he pays £1400 through normal insurance. I had a quote from a company that used the latest telemetric technology. It came out as £3400. At these prices I can not see it catching on.
s3dbw
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2012 6:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So what happens if you have an accident, the black box is checked and shock horror, you were doing 10mph above the speed limit! Given that insurance companies will use any excuse not to pay out, is your insurance suddenly null & void?
MaFt
Pocket GPS Staff
Pocket GPS Staff

PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2012 11:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

s3dbw wrote:
So what happens if you have an accident, the black box is checked and shock horror, you were doing 10mph above the speed limit! Given that insurance companies will use any excuse not to pay out, is your insurance suddenly null & void?

I think most insurance would be null and void if you were breaking the law at the time of an accident?

MaFt
tomtom_shareholder
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Feb 11, 2012 1:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Discounts can reach up to 30 percent of the insurance. I also heard that it takes your mileage in account. So if you use your car very rarely, then the price of the insurance will drop. If you drive a lot at night, you might lose your premium because on average more accidents occur at night.

I wouldn't really favor this, I think most people don't. But in the business segment (trucks) it might be a very interesting offer. Because insurance rates are higher (includes cargo) and it gives employers to manage their employees when on the road.
s3dbw
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Feb 11, 2012 8:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

MaFt wrote:
s3dbw wrote:

I think most insurance would be null and void if you were breaking the law at the time of an accident?

MaFt

Probably true, but with this system you have removed any doubt and given them all the evidence they need!
avdl1999
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Feb 11, 2012 10:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is this to do with the AA announcing similar??

http://www.slashgear.com/british-auto-insurer-aa-unveils-gps-tracked-insurance-policies-for-drivers-10213038/

Interesting to note than TT and The AA are teaming up for 'other' stuff that was announced a couple of weeks back. Coincidence??
PaulB2005
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Feb 11, 2012 11:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

s3dbw wrote:
MaFt wrote:
s3dbw wrote:

MaFt

Probably true, but with this system you have removed any doubt and given them all the evidence they need!

The idea is that you are getting cheaper insurance because you claim you are the sort of driver who DOESN'T drive at 10 mph over the speed limit. If you claim the lower premiums through the scheme why shouldn't the insurance company know you didn't hold up your end of the bargin?

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> News And Latest Information All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: