Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - average speed camera warning doesn't switch off.
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

average speed camera warning doesn't switch off.
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> CamerAlert on Android
View previous topic :: View next topic  
lez2000
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 25, 2011 3:40 pm    Post subject: average speed camera warning doesn't switch off. Reply with quote

Although the Camera Alert App is generally very good, I've noticed that when leaving the M1 north to travel up the M6 (Catthorpe Interchange), the average speed camera warning doesn't get cancelled when the cameras end.

Travelling south, (M6 to M1) It's fine, dropping the warnings on time.

This isn't an isolated incident, it occurs every journey, warning of the start of the restriction and then staying on 'til journey end. Interestingly fixed speed camera warnings are still given despite the average speed warning remaining.

Anyone else experienced this?

Galaxy GT I9000 firmware 2.3.3

Les
M8TJT
The Other Tired Old Man
The Other Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Thu Aug 25, 2011 4:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What's causing your problem apperas to be the following.

The last specs before the M6 slip is not and 'end' Camera and there doesn't appear to be any more on the M6 (westbound) itself. (All the specs shown on that part of the M6 are shown as eastbound.) So there is not a cam marked as the 'end of zone' if you turn off onto the M6.
It seems that MaFt needs to put one of his magic 'end of specs zone' markers on the M6 slip. Very Happy

Last edited by M8TJT on Thu Aug 25, 2011 4:35 pm; edited 1 time in total
DennisN
Tired Old Man
Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Thu Aug 25, 2011 4:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

First, in this circumstance you can cancel the average speed display by tapping it.

Second, this sounds like something for the DB administrator to look at when he gets back from holiday this weekend. There IS an END camera, just before the exit slip road from M1 northbound onto M6 which I would expect to cancel the average speed action. If it is not doing so, it needs looking at.

Just in passing, on my iPhone I find that if by coincidence I receive and don't read a text message in the middle of a Specs zone, it locks the camera action and gives the impression of the zone continuing forever.

If it tastes good - it's fattening.

Two of them are obesiting!!
M8TJT
The Other Tired Old Man
The Other Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Thu Aug 25, 2011 5:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Am I in the wrong place as usual. The cam just before the M6 slip Northbound on the M1 is 86083 and is shown as a middle specs on my map. And then there are no more specs on the M6
MaFt
Pocket GPS Staff
Pocket GPS Staff

PostPosted: Thu Aug 25, 2011 5:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've added a marker so if you redownload the database it should turn off the warnings when turning off the M1 to the M6

MaFt
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Aug 25, 2011 5:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MaFt wrote:
I've added a marker...t

Holidays? Schmolidays!
MaFt
Pocket GPS Staff
Pocket GPS Staff

PostPosted: Thu Aug 25, 2011 9:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Andy_P wrote:
MaFt wrote:
I've added a marker...t

Holidays? Schmolidays!

i was only away Monday to Wednesday...

MaFt
lez2000
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 26, 2011 6:47 am    Post subject: CamerAlert on Android Reply with quote

Thanks for the replies guys, thought it would be something like that. Wasn't a big problem, more of a niggle but I think reporting things like this helps with the development of a very useful app.

Again, thanks to all.
Les.
bewildered
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2012 3:17 pm    Post subject: cannot get average speed alert to stop Reply with quote

I've read various comments about stopping an alert for Average Speed cameras, but they all suggest touching the speed alert to stop it. I use Android version with Co-pilot. (v1.3.5.548). Works great until a camera is moved, or I exit before the "end".
My question is EXACTLY which displayed item do you touch? The Big "50" warning that pops up repeatedly whilst I am in Co-Pilot, or do I go back to the Camelert screen and touch something. On that screen I've tried touching on the Camera detail red "bar" at the bottom of the screen, the 50 symbol at the top, the big 50 that pops up, in fact every part of the screen. Nothing stops it. I've even tried exiting Camalert and starting it again - back comes the warning again. It keeps coming even if I pass another static camera with its own warnings. When clear of that, back comes the "50" popup again!
I had this after the roadworks around J24 (?) on M5 northbound yesterday. Out of interest, having tried all the above, I left it to see how long it would keep going. Finally gave up at Bristol and stopped Camalert.

Please put me out of my misery and tell me what I am doing wrong? (Screen shot would be good)

Thanks
MaFt
Pocket GPS Staff
Pocket GPS Staff

PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2012 3:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

On the main CamerAlert screen you just need to tap on either your current speed or your current average speed (both at the top left) this will stop the averaging function and the alerts.

I've also added this to the FAQ: http://www.cameralert.com/faqs/

I will also look at the map and see if we can add a few markers to stop it happening when you turn off the M5!

MaFt
bewildered
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2012 3:44 pm    Post subject: Thanks! Reply with quote

Ah, maybe I didn't hit all parts of the screen then! Those two are certainly not the ones I tried first. Sigh!
This may sound daft, but if I have gone past what you think is the last camera, why keep alerting? A "Clear" warning that you think the section has ended would alert me to visiually verify that the speed limit has ended. Somehow I feel it must be more complicated than that, otherwise it would work that way..... Smile
MaFt
Pocket GPS Staff
Pocket GPS Staff

PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2012 5:31 pm    Post subject: Re: Thanks! Reply with quote

bewildered wrote:
This may sound daft, but if I have gone past what you think is the last camera, why keep alerting? A "Clear" warning that you think the section has ended would alert me to visiually verify that the speed limit has ended. Somehow I feel it must be more complicated than that, otherwise it would work that way..... Smile

As it turned out we didn't have the last northbound camera marked as an end camera hence it didn't automagically turn off.

There is a submission a bit further north (right by the junction itself) which, if confirmed, would actually be the end camera. However, the current last camera has been confirmed and, because of the possible end cam further north, the one in question remained a 'middle'.

Clear as mud, right?!

MaFt
bewildered
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2012 6:32 pm    Post subject: simples! Reply with quote

ah I knew it would be something simple......*@/?=$£%

err, if you haven't passed a confirmed end camera, how about some kind of time-out? 5 minutes should be ample at excess speed in any average speed zone. At correct speed or less, no alert anyway. If another camera is then passed, and av speed has increased after timout, start alerts again.

Or maybe its still not that simple?
lbendlin
Pocket GPS Staff
Pocket GPS Staff

PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2012 3:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The timer is a good idea. We will look into that. Anyone care to suggest what the longest stretch is between two specs camera in the real world?

Report Map Errors here:
TomTom/TeleAtlas NAVTEQ
MaFt
Pocket GPS Staff
Pocket GPS Staff

PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2012 10:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It would have to be distance though, surely? SPECS implies roadworks which implies delays. So you could be sat in traffic for some time but not necessarily want/need the average function to turn off.

Also, in Australia there is the Safe-T-Cam stuff for truckers. Part of this system is average speed across long distances. These can be 50 or more miles apart along major routes.

MaFt

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> CamerAlert on Android All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: