Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Southern Trains GPS Problems
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Southern Trains GPS Problems

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> News And Latest Information
View previous topic :: View next topic  
dastardly
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Aug 26, 2004 7:22 pm    Post subject: Southern Trains GPS Problems Reply with quote

I guess it's slightly on topic, but Southern Railway is in the news with its new trains.

AIUI, they use GPS to tell the onboard computer which station they're standing at, so that when they run long trains into short platforms and the rear carriages are 'hanging out the back', the computer decides how many doors can be be made available to open, according to a pre-programmed list. This is called Selective Door Opening.

It really is giving them problems, and stories abound of 40 minute delays at some stations whilst they try to get the doors open. I suspect that it's the computer which is at fault rather than the GPS, as there have been numerous problems with them.

However the route from Brighton to Victoria is very GPS unfriendly, with many steep cuttings and frequent long tunnels. You really don't get to see much sky. (On the occassions that I've tried to use GPS in a train cab it's been hopeless).

Anybody know any more ?

John
Dave
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Aug 26, 2004 7:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Perhaps the on-board computer that is receiving the GPS signals thinks the last couple of carriages are on the nearest A road or Motorway ? Laughing

Personally I wouldn't have thought GPS would be a good technology for this. I haven't heard of the story or read it, but sensors on the wheels or undercarriage of the carriages would be a much better choice if they don't want to use a guard or driver to make the decision.

I haven't travelled (luckily) on South West Trains for quite some time now, but I know there were several stations where you had to get off of the front 5 coaches of a 10 coach train because platforms weren't long enough (on the Waterloo to Weymouth line).
dastardly
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Aug 26, 2004 7:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dave wrote:

Personally I wouldn't have thought GPS would be a good technology for this. I haven't heard of the story or read it, but sensors on the wheels or undercarriage of the carriages would be a much better choice if they don't want to use a guard or driver to make the decision.

Yea, the technology is already available. The big EWS freight locos (66) have Dopler radar !!, and the onboard computer (which actually works!!) compares the speed of every axle against the SOG to decide whether they're slipping/sliding, continously adjusting the power to each axle motor.

(So it would be dead easy to measure the total distance covered, although you must remember there are many different options of paths within a route. ) I reckon the best system, which has been used in the past, is to put inductive loops in the track at the end of the platform, which inhibit door opening beyond the loop.

I expect they've put a Garmin12 or something in the Southern trains Rolling Eyes

Not that I'm knocking Garmins, I own 2 and I love em :D

John
geraint
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 26, 2004 10:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Another option would be to fit an RFID device at each station. The train could then inrterrogate the station to ask "which station are you?". The station could then reply, and the onboard computer then decide which doors to open. Obviously, the onboard computer would have to know how long the train was and how long the station was.

Probably cheaper to fit GPS though, as no need to fit RFID transponders in each station.

TomTom for iPhone v1.9
App version: 8.300 (777309)
Map: Western Europe v875.3668

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> News And Latest Information All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: