Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Oz Police Hit The Roof In Drive To Catch Hooning Motorists
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Oz Police Hit The Roof In Drive To Catch Hooning Motorists

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> News And Latest Information
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2012 9:37 am    Post subject: Oz Police Hit The Roof In Drive To Catch Hooning Motorists Reply with quote

pocketgpsworld.com
Police in Western Australia have developed a roof mounted radar speed detector, turning every patrol car into a mobile speed camera, in their drive to catch speeding motorists.

The new technology combines radar for speed measurement with an on-board video camera. Speeding motorists would then receive fines by post.

Police are now seeking funds to to install on 48 cars in the fleet and for further development. Ultimately they plan to install the technology in every new patrol car at a cost of $70,000 per vehicle.

Western Australia already measures the speed of 14 million vehicles per year and the introduction of this technology could see that figure rise to over 300 million.

email icon

PedroStephano
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2012 11:51 am    Post subject: Oz radar cars Reply with quote

Australian police are very good at enforcing speed limits and when I left there (1997) a common site was a radar car with a Highway Patrol officer ready to pull you over and give you a lecture and a ticket. Sometimes they didn't give the lecture, just the ticket......

This new development of "remote issue by post" will be very calming on the speedsters. Only non law abiding drivers could complain (and they will!)
scoobiewrx
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2012 9:54 am    Post subject: Unbelievable..... Reply with quote

For a country many times bigger than the UK, less poluated than London and with more straight long as the eye can see roads than anywhere else on the planet i can think of excluding the USA and one or two other places, the police seem to be incredibly anal about catching speeders come what may. It's not like the motorist population is even that big, although i know Aussies are as big petrolheads as we are.

WTF is all that about!!??

Have the police actually nothing better to do? Is there no crime to fight? Are motorists simply the No.1 easy cash cow criminals for cops in Oz?

Puts me right off even contemplating emigrating there.
M8TJT
The Other Tired Old Man
The Other Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2012 10:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think thet your impression of OZ is possibly a bit incomplete. They do have cities and motor cars you know. They also get people killed by motorists and they also have dick heads p*****g people off with revving engines and wheelspin.
HDRW
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 04, 2012 6:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

New Zealand has had car-mounted radar guns for more than ten years -I know because I got caught by one! It was a dead straight road, but it undulated so the view ahead was sometimes only a quarter of a mile. I was doing about 80mph, and the national speed limit is 100kph (62.5mph). I saw his roof-lights appear over the hump in the road about 400m ahead, and lifted off, but it was too late. The radar gun was mounted on top of the dashboard, firing through the windscreen (how does this work? Maybe it was laser rather than radar). It's left running all the time, so as soon as his windscreen popped over the hill, I was nicked.
He got me to sit in his car, showed me the "129" displayed on the gun, and looked up the fines table - each 5kph band has a fine associated with it (lucky I wasn't going 1 faster!) and he handed me the ticket, which was for about UKŁ84. The bottom of the ticket is a paying-in slip, and you just go into any bank and pay it in as if it's a deposit, and that's it. As I was a foreigner I didn't get points on my licence as a local would have.

It's annoying that in a place where you see another car about once an hour (South Island has about the same area as England with a population of 800,000, about the same as Nottinghamshire) so the accident potential is tiny, that they have such a low national speed limit, but as it goes it's a very well-sorted way of dealing with a ticket!

Cheers,
Howard
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Feb 04, 2012 6:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

HDRW wrote:
New Zealand has had car-mounted radar guns for more than ten years

But the difference here, is the addition of a camera making them, in effect, mobile speed cameras, with the ability to capture offending vehicles, and issue tickets, without ever having to stop a driver. More drivers = more money. Every patrol car becomes a mobile speed camera that can set up anywhere. Very difficult to handle that with GPS POI based warning.
scoobiewrx
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Feb 04, 2012 7:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

M8TJT wrote:
I think thet your impression of OZ is possibly a bit incomplete. They do have cities and motor cars you know. They also get people killed by motorists and they also have dick heads p*****g people off with revving engines and wheelspin.

I can tell you're a petrolhead Wink
DennisN
Tired Old Man
Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Sun Feb 05, 2012 10:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You really have to wonder sometimes about the accuracy of some of these figures. If it costs $70,000 to install just one system into one car, what's the economics of it all? I don't know the price of a speeding ticket in Australia, but if it's $100, then each and every car has to trap 700 speeders just to recoup the cost. Plus at that price, are they adding a helluva lot to the price of a car? How long do police cars last?

Just wondering. Confused

If it tastes good - it's fattening.

Two of them are obesiting!!
Dover
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2012 1:53 am    Post subject: Speed Cameras are Major Revenue Raisers for Government Reply with quote

South Australia - 100Kmh is the speed limit unless one finds them self on a multiple lane divided 2 way highway (110Kmh) and there are very few of them outside suburbia Adelaide. Ridiculously slow for bitumen country roads. Fatigue will become major cause of more accidents and deaths at night.
The fines vary, limit plus 15kmh you will be parting with $252 + vic of crime fee , 15 to 30 kmh $ 371 + vic of crime , 30 plus Kmh $532 +vic of crime fee and likely loss of licence & Car (hoon driver legislation). Stop!
http://www.legislation.sa.gov.au/LZ/C/R/ROAD%20TRAFFIC%20(MISCELLANEOUS)%20REGULATIONS%201999/CURRENT/1999.236.UN.PDF

Use to be only some of the marked Highway Patrol cars that had built in mobile radar. Now we see showroom coloured cars (not typical police) and Police marked cars fitted with mobile radar being regularly used on country roads day & night to increase revenue.

Speed cameras are a huge revenue raiser and most country SA Police Cars already have radar. Most new country police cars will have computer fitted for registration, unregistered vehicles & trailers, ownership, unpaid fines, etc.. CoPilot

Dover

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> News And Latest Information All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: