Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Brixly - Fast, Reliable, Secure UK Web Hosting
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - CamerAlert for iOS IS FREE For a Limited Period
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

CamerAlert for iOS IS FREE For a Limited Period
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> CamerAlert on Apple Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2012 6:10 pm    Post subject: CamerAlert for iOS IS FREE For a Limited Period Reply with quote

pocketgpsworld.com
To celebrate CamerAlert scoring 4 out of 5 stars in the Tap! Magazine review, and it trouncing the AA Safety Camera app, we've decided to reduce the price of CamerAlert from 69p to FREE for a limited period.

As before, you get one free download to the latest available database after installing the app and you can get subsequent updates with a subscription at the normal rates. A subscription can also be used on up to three devices which may be Apple or Android smartphones or any of the wide range of satnavs that we support.

It's the perfect opportunity for Apple device owners to sample the quality of our database at zero cost. What are you waiting for?......

Download CamerAlert here.
vdeknock
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 28, 2012 3:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks, have been meaning to get this since I got an iPhone 4S. From my quick play looks to be a really good app and worth the 4 stars.
APK1
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2012 8:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is this free on Android, or just for Isheep? Wink
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2012 9:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

APK1 wrote:

It's free on iOS only. We've made it free there primarily because we haven't been able to get an update out to users on that platform owing to issues with Apple's app approval process.
Privateer
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2012 12:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

APK1 wrote:

Isheep ... absolutely brilliant!! Thumbs Up
Garmin Camper 770 LMT-D
MaFt
Pocket GPS Staff
Pocket GPS Staff

PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2012 2:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know this is kind of off-topic and if it spreads I'll happily shift it to the off-topic forum...

1) Technically it should be iSheep not Isheep Wink
2) Surely all those people who get Android handsets for the sole reason that 'they are not iPhones' are just as guilty of being sheep?

Seriously, I'm yet to find an android phone that 'feels' right. The iPhone's simplicity is it's key winning feature; Android for most people is too fiddly and doesn't 'just work' like they expect it to.

I'm not saying that Android is a bad thing - every person uses things differently - some will be suited to Android, some to iOS. But even if someone chooses one over the other does that give anyone the right to call them sheep?

MaFt
APK1
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2012 3:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you for your replies, I agree with your second point : "2) Surely all those people who get Android handsets for the sole reason that 'they are not iPhones' are just as guilty of being sheep?" if that is why they chose them , personally I have a HTC desire which I chose because of price and because it did the job I want, I have just ordered a Samsumg Galaxy S2 which is acknowledged as probably the best phone on the market for £20.42 per month, an iphone would be at least an extra £10 pm

In terms of simplicity, I agree the iphone "just works" but then so does my fridge, and that doesn't excite me either! In the past I think android phones have been a bit "work in progress" but I think they are now "complete" but allow a lot more personalisation than the iphone.

I think the "isheep" phrase has been coined as apple followers tend to follow blindly believing anything from the church of Jobs has to be purchased (at whatever price) how many people buy iphones/ipods/ipads/imacs/apple tv etc without even looking at the competition (which is often half the price!)

Finally, I like to use waze and google maps (yes at the same time!) can an iphone do that?
MaFt
Pocket GPS Staff
Pocket GPS Staff

PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2012 3:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

APK1 wrote:
Finally, I like to use waze and google maps (yes at the same time!) can an iphone do that?

Yes.
APK1
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2012 3:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MaFt wrote:
APK1 wrote:

Yes.

Maybe I'll think about an iphone next time then - if I can afford the extra £10-15pm (£120-180pa Shocked )
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2012 3:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

APK1 wrote:
I think the "isheep" phrase has been coined as apple followers tend to follow blindly believing anything from the church of Jobs has to be purchased (at whatever price) how many people buy iphones/ipods/ipads/imacs/apple tv etc without even looking at the competition (which is often half the price!)

And that paragraph shows you to be as guilty of falling for all the misinformation spread by Android sheep as those who slate Android without having any experience of it.

I have an S2, one in a long line of Android handsets. I write for an Android magazine, I've used them in great depth, had the opportunity to use a great number and it's very good. Yet I still prefer my iPhone, why? I'm not following Apple blindly, it simply does all I require of it in a manner which I prefer.

I don't think any less of those who choose Android over iOS, it's a personal preference. But I do take exception when people pass comment on things they haven't used, be that Android, iOS, Apple, Microsoft, whatever.
APK1
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2012 3:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Darren wrote:

I don't think any less of those who choose Android over iOS, it's a personal preference. But I do take exception when people pass comment on things they haven't used, be that Android, iOS, Apple, Microsoft, whatever.

Not looking to start a war! simply said as I know a number of people who have "the full set" of Apple products, and will not even look elsewhere.

I agree Apple tends to be far simpler, as the system is locked down tighter to prevent fiddling, as a result they do tend to work as intended without having to fiddle with settings as can sometimes be the case with Android.
my1690
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Feb 04, 2012 2:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

back on topic, I downloaded the app to my iPad2, which has the Garmin IOS satnav app already installed on it, the big iPad screen makes it a lot easier for me too see what is going on :-)

1) I cannot see how to upload the latest database, so every time I turn on "Camera Alert" I get "take care you are not using the latest database"

2) but the bigger issue, is that on startup I expected to also run on Startup the Garmin app, but it is not listed, but Tom Tom and others are ?

3) if the Garmin app was listed, would this mean the Garmin IOS app would use "Camera Alert" for camera warnings instead, which would be a blessing as Camera Alert is always more up to date !
DennisN
Tired Old Man
Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Sat Feb 04, 2012 4:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

CamerAlert Manual

If it tastes good - it's fattening.

Two of them are obesiting!!
MaFt
Pocket GPS Staff
Pocket GPS Staff

PostPosted: Sat Feb 04, 2012 6:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DennisN wrote:
CamerAlert Manual

better to link to this one: http://www.cameralert.com/ios-manual

MaFt
my1690
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Feb 05, 2012 7:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ah, many thanks, RTFM, it's just not very clear that a manual was available, a link to it would have been welcome on the Apple app page perhaps, but looks a great app at first glance I have to say, well done chaps :-)

the question of using it with my Garmin Street Pilot ver 2 app remains

http://www.garmin.com/uk/streetpilot

on startup also run Garmin (and if CameraAlert integrates with it), there is no listing for Garmin :-(

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> CamerAlert on Apple Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: