Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Go Live 1005 World with SD slot now showingon TomTom UK
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Go Live 1005 World with SD slot now showingon TomTom UK
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
matthewj
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Nov 11, 2011 4:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DougWeller wrote:
Is this then a downgrade from the HD traffic I get on my 950, which covers the entire route?

And is HD traffic for this device only for the UK or does it work in the US as well?
Thanks
Doug

The 950 uses all the traffic information in the area around you when calculating things. That area can be anywhere from 160km to 90km depending on how busy TomTom think the world is (they control it remotely). The 1005 has the same box, but also doesn't do anything about traffic over 40km away. I'm not entirely sure what it doesn't do - perhaps re-routing around it. This 40km limit is "hard coded" on the device and needs a software update to fix, if they ever care to do so.

The traffic SIM works anywhere the service is available, we are told. Certainly some have used it abroad just fine. Obviously you need the US map too.
DennisN
Tired Old Man
Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Fri Nov 11, 2011 5:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DougWeller wrote:
Is this then a downgrade from the HD traffic I get on my 950, which covers the entire route?

Is your 950 better than my 550 then? Entire Route? This week I have been to Penryn, Knottingley, Halifax and Dorking from Bristol. On none of those journeys did I get traffic covering the entire route. (I also have two RDS-TMC devices running alongside it and they showed traffic further along the route). Evil or Very Mad

If it tastes good - it's fattening.

Two of them are obesiting!!
M8TJT
The Other Tired Old Man
The Other Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Fri Nov 11, 2011 5:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

But if you constrained your journeys to less than 90Km it would cover your entire route. Don't be so selfish as to wanting to drive more than 90Km in one go Shocked
DougWeller
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Nov 11, 2011 6:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DennisN wrote:
DougWeller wrote:

Is your 950 better than my 550 then? Entire Route? This week I have been to Penryn, Knottingley, Halifax and Dorking from Bristol. On none of those journeys did I get traffic covering the entire route. (I also have two RDS-TMC devices running alongside it and they showed traffic further along the route). Evil or Very Mad

I have a 170 mile trip and it shows any delays on the route. Perhaps this discussion is about something else?
DennisN
Tired Old Man
Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Fri Nov 11, 2011 6:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DougWeller wrote:
I have a 170 mile trip and it shows any delays on the route. Perhaps this discussion is about something else?

This view ten minutes ago - evening rush hour? - shows no traffic in the vicinity of the three destinations I mention. I find it hard to believe that east London and the UK north of Birmingham have no traffic incidents!

If it tastes good - it's fattening.

Two of them are obesiting!!
DougWeller
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Nov 11, 2011 10:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DennisN wrote:
DougWeller wrote:

This view ten minutes ago - evening rush hour? - shows no traffic in the vicinity of the three destinations I mention. I find it hard to believe that east London and the UK north of Birmingham have no traffic incidents!

But it is showing traffic a lot more than 40 miles away from any destination.
Doug
JaguarV12e
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Nov 11, 2011 11:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Who mentioned 40 miles?

The limitation of the device that is the subject of this thread (the Go1005 World) is 40 minutes, not 40 miles, and it affects the incidents displayed on the traffic bar, and the calculated time of arrival, not the map view.

A Go x50 does not have this limitation, so is really irrelevant to this thread.
DougWeller
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Nov 11, 2011 11:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

JaguarV12e wrote:
Who mentioned 40 miles?

The limitation of the device that is the subject of this thread (the Go1005 World) is 40 minutes, not 40 miles, and it affects the incidents displayed on the traffic bar, and the calculated time of arrival, not the map view.

A Go x50 does not have this limitation, so is really irrelevant to this thread.

Actually the OP said 40km, not miles, my error.
Doug
M8TJT
The Other Tired Old Man
The Other Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Sat Nov 12, 2011 12:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

DougWeller wrote:
JaguarV12e wrote:
Who mentioned 40 miles?
Post 2 said 40 miles. Who said 40Km? Can we talk English here, not foreign?
DougWeller
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Nov 12, 2011 7:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

M8TJT wrote:
DougWeller wrote:
JaguarV12e wrote:
Who mentioned 40 miles?
Post 2 said 40 miles. Who said 40Km? Can we talk English here, not foreign?

Whatever, we've got people useing km and others using miles here, some maybe using theirs on the mainland. It isn't that relevant as we are still talking about a fairly short distance limitation.
philce
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2012 12:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

DougWeller wrote:
DennisN wrote:
DougWeller wrote:

But it is showing traffic a lot more than 40 miles away from any destination.
Doug

There is a thread on the TomTom forums that has been ongoing for nearly a year (the mods deem that they need to close it every now and again) that is requesting more infomation regarding the horizon reduction.

This was reduced over 1 year ago now, and all we have had from TomTom are empty promises and silence.

I am thinking of trying to get some publicity on this now as TomTom continue to advertise the HD traffic as it was, no mentions of this restriction. There is also a new "feature" where some older devices are not able to use the HD traffic in all the countries (Spain, Italy etc) that the 1xxx series devices can. Yet the subscription is the same for all. You may be aware that TomTom actually refunded some iPhone users for interruption of servce last year, nothing for us PND users!

Is anyone aware of anything being mentioned anywhere in the media about this, if not where should we start.

This is the thread on the TT forums, some of it may not read correctly as the mods seem to delete any posts that they deem to be "inappropriate".

http://discussions.tomtom.com/t5/LIVE-Services-HD-Traffic-and/HD-Traffic-Reduced-Range-UK-amp-EU-Unacceptable/td-p/107377

And Here

http://discussions.tomtom.com/t5/LIVE-Services-HD-Traffic-and/HD-Traffic-range-update/td-p/82195

And Here

http://discussions.tomtom.com/t5/LIVE-Services-HD-Traffic-and/HD-Traffic-range-now-reduced-for-ALL-Tomtoms/td-p/61691
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2012 9:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I guess we could get the FaceBook site fired up again as thats not seen much traffic for a while and it certainly got TomTom interest last time.

To be honest I have given up with HD Traffic and the hardware it runs on for a whole raft of reasons, paying for a service that isn't as good as it was when introduced simply isn't something I am prepared to do. For traffic data I tend to use the motorway gantry signs coupled with information from my Garmin RDS receiver and the radio, not ideal but it's all free and longer range than what you get with the HD Traffic subscription running on substandard hardware - Mike
philce
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2012 9:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

How about running a story on the main site?

I'm sure most users aren't even aware of this change? (from the amount of TomTom's I see in day mode, will the brightness full on at night, I'm not surprised!)
M8TJT
The Other Tired Old Man
The Other Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2012 10:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

philce wrote:
How about running a story on the main site?
What main site?
philce wrote:
I'm sure most users aren't even aware of this change?
Well it does not affect them if they are not aware of it, because if they are not aware of it, how can they miss it? I think that this has been going on so long with TT basically ignoring the problem whilst making noises that they have it in hand but nothing changes, most people have given up bleating about it. Note the date of the last post before yours to see how interested people are here. There are several threads here on the subject, and I believe that some of the people here also post on the TT forum.
Re Facebook.
Quote:
It got TTs interest last time
And it achieved a fullt working HDT?? I think not. Did it do any good at all?
spook51
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2012 10:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Havn't we been here before?
http://www.pocketgpsworld.com/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&t=88681&start=75

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: