Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Navigon MobileNavigator Android + CamerAlert
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Navigon MobileNavigator Android + CamerAlert

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Navigon Handhelds
View previous topic :: View next topic  
willton
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 04, 2011 8:47 pm    Post subject: Navigon MobileNavigator Android + CamerAlert Reply with quote

Ive just paid £50 for this, version 3.5.4 build.947 NK 758.

It is a cut down version of the proper software, although it will allow you to configure settings for the route profile, and map display and units, and some other settings for speed limits and its own version of safety cameras which you dont need anyway with CamerAlert.

I cant see a way of turning off the POI which clutters up the map - are they getting revenue from this by pretending they have a big user base for advertising? Doesnt seem like they have the user at the forefront of their business plan!!

You can manually add your own POI's but cant download them into the application so you need to use CamerAlert alongside it.

Ill have to continue this another time .....
lbendlin
Pocket GPS Staff
Pocket GPS Staff

PostPosted: Mon Apr 04, 2011 11:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

any problems running it in parallel with CamerAlert?

Report Map Errors here:
TomTom/TeleAtlas NAVTEQ
willton
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 08, 2011 9:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Havent got round to testing it all yet Smile

One thing that annoys me about this sw is that once youve set a route, you cant access any of the settings you have to cancel the route first.

I do like that you can drag the pointer to select a destination.

I am comparing this to my other nav sw which is destinator 6, which i suppose i may have got a little used to.

More to come when my in car holder arrives for my Galaxy S
willton
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 12, 2011 5:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK so it got a road trial at last - No it didnt want to run alongside cameralert at first. I loaded cameralert and then loaded navigon but it started to hang at various points in its routine or if i tried to select a destination. I stopped them both and then started navigon first, and once it had settled down i started cameralert and that was much more stable - in fact it didnt crash at all after that.

What i find difficult is that previously with destinator / cams as poi's when the cam warning came up you can see the camera and type on the map, but now i cant. I have set cameralert to "show map when camera is alerted" but i dont see how this can overlay the camera onto the navigon map. And the cameralert google map doesnt pop up either.

Navigon is showing me speed limits on its own map, but i think i have disabled its own camera database.

Has anyone else run these two together ?
MaFt
Pocket GPS Staff
Pocket GPS Staff

PostPosted: Tue Apr 12, 2011 6:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

willton wrote:
What i find difficult is that previously with destinator / cams as poi's when the cam warning came up you can see the camera and type on the map, but now i cant. I have set cameralert to "show map when camera is alerted" but i dont see how this can overlay the camera onto the navigon map. And the cameralert google map doesnt pop up either.

Navigon is showing me speed limits on its own map, but i think i have disabled its own camera database.

Has anyone else run these two together ?

i think you are misunderstanding what CamerAlert is! It does not (can not) add POIs to the navigation app(s). It is a standalone app that will run in the background while you use other apps (such as navigon) and provide audio warnings when you approach a camera. if you have overpseed alerts turned on (menu / settings / advanced settings) then you will get a large pop up in front of any app you are running that shows the speed limit if you are approaching a camera over the set limit.

MaFt
willton
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 12, 2011 6:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

cheers MaFt, i was aware that i cannot add POIs to this navigon app. But i didnt know how it was going to work, and am describing my experience for the benefit of others.

To me this seems a major issue and i am wondering if there is a way around it. I know i can use cameralert and its own mapping to show cams, but i dont want to have to download loads of maptiles while i am travelling.

I expected perhaps that cameralert would show a pop up of where the camera is, but i suppose i was being naive, or dim.

Maybe ill get used to hearing an alert then looking around to try and find the camera, and distracting my concentration in the process. I just seems abit backward !!
MaFt
Pocket GPS Staff
Pocket GPS Staff

PostPosted: Tue Apr 12, 2011 6:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

well, unless the navigation app developers open up to 3rd party POIs then there's nothing else we can do.

you could always use navigon in the background and CamerAlert in the foreground and, with maps set to 'show near cam', you will only load map tiles when you are near a camera. with the app in the background no data is used.

MaFt
willton
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 12, 2011 7:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

but then i wont be able to see the navigation map? And in any case it will still have to download 'alot' of maptiles in an urban area.

This really seems quite ridiculous, and i may as well have stuck with destinator and POIs.

On the iphone FAQ on the navigon "customer services" page, which is the nearest you get to a user guide for mobile, it says that 3rd party POIs are not available "at the moment". Do you think that they will open this up in the future, or have they bolted the door.

Can i use POIs with that other android nav app - copilot ? Or any other options ??
Evil or Very Mad Shocked Embarassed
aj2052
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Jun 17, 2011 1:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just installed Navigon mobile navigator 3.6 on my 10.1" screen Android tablet very disapointing, very very basic navigation, no eta, speed or any screen info whatsover, only good thing about it is the reasonable graphics and the fact that it runs on full 10.1" screen, the price cerainly belies its quality and in my opinion its not worth trying to install POIs unless it has a major update.
MaFt
Pocket GPS Staff
Pocket GPS Staff

PostPosted: Fri Jun 17, 2011 9:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

aj2052 wrote:
Just installed Navigon mobile navigator 3.6 on my 10.1" screen Android tablet very disapointing, very very basic navigation, no eta, speed or any screen info whatsover, only good thing about it is the reasonable graphics and the fact that it runs on full 10.1" screen

something's not right there then! it should have all those!

MaFt
aj2052
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Jun 17, 2011 10:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Must admit did seem sparce, and have only tried demo not road tested, but also had some freezes mid download, so that may have caused problems,will check further but these chinese andriods not the best choice.
aj2052
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Jun 17, 2011 3:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks MaFt, see them now, miles and Eta at top of screen but still think its basic and limited but possibly designed within the realms of a smartphone and not for the big screen tablets, although it does look reasonably good and will do its primary function i.e. navigate although i can only see it being used by a passenger not a driver, for me its experimental.
iainjb
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Jan 29, 2012 9:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
i think you are misunderstanding what CamerAlert is! It does not (can not) add POIs to the navigation app(s). It is a standalone app that will run in the background while you use other apps (such as navigon) and provide audio warnings when you approach a camera. if you have overpseed alerts turned on (menu / settings / advanced settings) then you will get a large pop up in front of any app you are running that shows the speed limit if you are approaching a camera over the set limit.

MaFt

Hi MaFt,
I cant follow the above instructions to set the overspeed alerts on my iPhone. I select setting but then only get sections on Main, Map and Misc, none of which mention overspeed.

Can you let me know where I am going wrong.

thanks,

Iain..

Edit to fix QUOTE tags - PaulB2005
MaFt
Pocket GPS Staff
Pocket GPS Staff

PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2012 1:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

On the iPhone you need to hit the settings cog, then tap on 'Sound warnings' - this will give you the overspeed settings.

Full manual is here: http://www.cameralert.com/ios-manual

MaFt

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Navigon Handhelds All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: