Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
SurfShark VPN
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Device not detected by Communicator
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Device not detected by Communicator

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Garmin Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
nchadwick
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Jan 28, 2012 4:58 pm    Post subject: Device not detected by Communicator Reply with quote

When I try to connect my Nuvi 765t to "myDashboard" on the Garmin website I get a dialog box which says "the system cannot find the path specified" and my device is not detected. This seems to have started since Garmin Communicator was updated. I've tried uninstalling and reinstalling the communicator plugin, and I've tried both 32 and 64 bit versions of IE with the same result. Windows (7) detects that the device is connected. Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.
PaulB2005
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Jan 28, 2012 7:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tried a different USB port?
bongoterry
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Jan 29, 2012 8:54 am    Post subject: Communicator wont communicate Reply with quote

I'm new to this but my Kenwood DNX7240BT which has Garmin software embedded, also doesn't connect via the communicator plugin, I'm rumming Firefox and Win 7. I've tried 4 different USB ports (all of which work perfectly with other devices). My unit asks me if I want to run in Garmin or Mass Storage Mode each time I plug it into my PC, I've tried both with the plugin but t wont detect it. If I run the device in Mass Storage Mode then I can read the\ whole directory structure and transfer files just as if it were another drive, which is exactly what I'd expect, also the Garmin Loader software works fine in Garmin Mode. So.....if anyone can help it would be appreciated.

Terry Bruce.
sussamb
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Sun Jan 29, 2012 9:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have you downloaded the latest plug in, available here http://www8.garmin.com/products/communicator/

Also note that there is a test page, does this report the plug in is installed correctly?

Are you connected directly to a USB port on your PC? There have been problems reported when connecting via a USB hub.
bongoterry
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Jan 29, 2012 10:49 am    Post subject: Still not working Reply with quote

Thanks for your prompt reply, well here's what I've done.
Firstly I'm connecting direct to a USB port on the motherboard.
I went to the link you supplied without the USB connected and the site reports that the plugin is up to date and installed correctly.
Then I reset the unit and plugged in the USB, choosing Garmin mode.
I then refreshed the web page and it reports that it is trying to find my device and has a clock type icon that goes round and says please wait a moment.
After 5 mins of that I guessed it was unable to find it.
I've also tried running it with Mass Storage mode selected but I'm pretty sure that's not right although nothing seems to tell me which one I should use.
So the site says the plugin is OK and when I use the Garmin POI loader software in Garmin mode it all works fine.
Just as a last gasp I downloaded and installed Garmin's USB drivers but the website still wont find it.........so where do I go from there? Have you any ideas for me please.

Regards Terry.
sussamb
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Sun Jan 29, 2012 1:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do you mean Garmin's Dashboard won't find it? If POI Loader does then your plug in is working correctly.

Your nuvi should automatically enter mass storage mode when you plug it in, you will see a picture of what looks like a PC underneath the Garmin logo.

Have you tried Garmin's webupdater to see if that finds it?
nchadwick
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Jan 29, 2012 2:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sussamb wrote:
Have you downloaded the latest plug in, available here http://www8.garmin.com/products/communicator/

Also note that there is a test page, does this report the plug in is installed correctly?

Are you connected directly to a USB port on your PC? There have been problems reported when connecting via a USB hub.

It's plugged directly into an on-board USB. The Communicator test page says it's working and POI loader works, it's just myDashboard that I can't get to communicate with the device, which is a pain when I've paid for lifetime maps and can't access them. I have installed the latest Communicator plugin, still same results. All was working until the Communicator update prior to the current one, although I've tried uninstalling communicator and reinstalling the latest one without any success.
nchadwick
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Jan 29, 2012 3:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sussamb wrote:
Do you mean Garmin's Dashboard won't find it? If POI Loader does then your plug in is working correctly.

Your nuvi should automatically enter mass storage mode when you plug it in, you will see a picture of what looks like a PC underneath the Garmin logo.

Have you tried Garmin's webupdater to see if that finds it?

I think there are two issues being replied to here, in my case, everything is fine except for Garmin's Dashboard, which I need to download maps (unless there's another way I don't know about). POI loader, webupdater, communicator test page all work fine. I just get "the system cannot find the path specified" when trying to use Dashboard. All third party software that can access the Nuvi works fine as well.
M8TJT
The Other Tired Old Man
The Other Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Sun Jan 29, 2012 5:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

nchadwick wrote:
I think there are two issues being replied to here, in
That's the problem when someone else joins a thread with a different problem instead of starting their own thread Shocked
sussamb
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Sun Jan 29, 2012 5:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes sorry, it's me getting confused. You shouldn't need to go to Dashboard, log on at myGarmin and click on the home page where it says 'Manage maps'.

See if that works Confused
nchadwick
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2012 9:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, that works, thanks. For some reason it's just Dashboard that's not working which doesn't worry me now I know how to get at the map updates. Thanks again.
sussamb
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2012 7:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great, glad we could help Smile
bongoterry
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Feb 05, 2012 10:03 am    Post subject: Apologies Reply with quote

M8TJT wrote:
nchadwick wrote:
I think there are two issues being replied to here, in
That's the problem when someone else joins a thread with a different problem instead of starting their own thread Shocked

I take your point M8TJT and apologise for confusing things.
M8TJT
The Other Tired Old Man
The Other Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Sun Feb 05, 2012 10:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

But have you sorted out your problem yet? If not repost your original texts as a new thread with a good subject text.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Garmin Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: