Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Need help with my go 740 live.
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Need help with my go 740 live.
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jamsie
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2012 12:21 am    Post subject: Need help with my go 740 live. Reply with quote

Good Evening ,

I have been using the database for over 2 years, over xmas my tom tom go 740 live had problems and it was replaced today with a new one, the first thing i wanted to do was download the database, after 7 attempts today i can see the files in the western europe map but no sign of the cameras in the P.O.I, any help would be gratefully appreciated,
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2012 1:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

1. Why did it take seven attempts? Could you not get it to download? Unzip? Copy to the 740? Something else?

2. What exact file names for the cameras do you see in the Western Europe map folder? Just one set will do. (e.g. Gatso 30, assuming you're using the "speed-zoned" version)

3. You haven't put them in the folder called "map" by mistake?

4. What happens if you load ANY POI file from one of your old machines backup?

5. Have you made a backup of the new one yet?
jamsie
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2012 10:13 am    Post subject: For Andy P. Reply with quote

Andy Good Morning,

I will answer your questions in order so it is not so confusing for me to understand .

1. The reason i kept downloading is because i could not find the files in the POI after the download.

2. I have deleted the files but there were 2 sets of files.

3.I put them in the Western map as usual

4.Since they were sending a replacement tom tom i cleared all my old files out of my p.c

5. I only did a backup after the initial set up of the tom tom yesterday, since i did not envisage any problems with adding the database,

I hope this helps, i did download a new poi file this morning and it came up in the poi screen
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2012 3:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi

1. OK
2. OK, so we can assume you have NO files beginning with "PocketGPS..." in your Western Europe map folder now.
3. OK, assuming you mean a folder called "Western Europe" or "Western and Central Europe" or "Europe_Western_Zone" or something like that, fine.
4. Ah, shame. But I guess you realise that wasn't such a good idea now.
5. Good. Just checking you had made one in case of further problems.

Quote:
i did download a new poi file this morning and it came up in the poi screen

That's great... It shows the system DOES work. Did you get it from PGSPW? If so, you would have had to unzip the file in the same way and add it to the map folder in just the same way as the camera files.

Can you try another experiment?

Download the camera database one more time, selecting these options in the boxes:
SatNav System - TomTom OV2
Untick "Include pMobile Files"
Camera Selections - UK -Speed zoned complete
Available Voice Packs - No voice pack required

The download should produce a zip file called "pgpsw-speed-cams-xxxxx.zip (where xxxxx is a unique identifier for that download)

If you unzip that by right clicking on it and selecting "extract all", you should get a folder called "pgpsw-speed-cams-xxxxx" containing 103 files.

The first three files will be
_Need_Help.htm
Licence.txt
licence_X2_icons.txt

Ignore those and just select the next three:
pocketgps_uk_gatso_20.bmp
pocketgps_uk_gatso_20.ov2
pocketgps_uk_gatso_20_X2.bmp

Copy those into the named map folder on the TomTom..

Disconnect safely (using the icon in the system tray next to the PC clock) and now tell us if you see "pocketgps_uk_gatso_20" in the list of POIs when you go to "Show POIs" or "Manage POIs" or "Warn when near POI" in the TomTom's menus.
jamsie
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2012 10:00 pm    Post subject: Attn Andy P Reply with quote

Hi Andy, i followed your instructions and sad to say the files showed in the western europe map but not in the POI, i downloaded the abbey atm yesterday and that did show up, so i am still perplexed at why this is happening, i thought just like my last model it would be no problem, many thanks for your patience and help in this matter.

James Embarassed Embarassed Embarassed
GerryC
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2012 10:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

How many POI sets (ie files ending .ov2) have you got in the folder with the map files? There's a limit but I'm not sure what it is for the 740.

Also, are you using an SD card? If so, is there map files on that as well?
Brodit ProClip mount
jamsie
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2012 10:31 pm    Post subject: Attn Gerry C Reply with quote

Just opening my tom tom, i do not have an sd card in my device, can you please explain what you mean when you say how many ov2 files do i have in my map

Thanks

James
jamsie
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2012 10:33 pm    Post subject: Attn Gerry C Reply with quote

Hi Gerry there are 53 files in the western map
jamsie
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2012 10:40 pm    Post subject: Attn Gerry C Reply with quote

Hi Gerry,

there are in fact 54 files in the western and central europe map, but they are not all ov2 files some are dct files, i would have to check one by one to see which files are ov2
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Jan 28, 2012 1:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It should be easy to see how many are .ov2 files....

First, most if not all of the files in your map folder should have three letter extensions at the end of the filenames. So when you say "some are ov2, some are dct" it sounds like for many of the files you aren't actually SEEING the three letter extensions.

If that's the case, you may want to adjust your settings in Windows Explorer to show those three letter extensions for ALL file types.
1. In Explorer, go to the "Tools" menu,
2. Select "Folder options"
3. Select the "View" tab,
4. In the "advanced options" window look for "Hide extensions for known file types - UN-TICK that box.

Now, when you have an Explorer window open for the FOLDER containing your Western Europe map, click on the column heading called "Type".

That will sort the list of files by their file type, and all the .ov2 files will be grouped together.
Either count them manually, or if there are a lot, just click and drag to select them all and the total number selected will be shown at the bottom of the window.

-------------------------------

But if you only have 54 files in that folder IN TOTAL, it sounds like you don't have many .ov2 files - Gerry was concerned you may have had hundreds! (which can cause problems like you are having)

Can you humour me and tell me the exact names of all the files you have in the map folder for the cameras and for the Abbey ATMs?

Last edited by Andy_P on Sat Jan 28, 2012 1:40 am; edited 1 time in total
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Jan 28, 2012 1:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just had another thought.....

Have you by any chance recently updated your map and accepted one of the Europe map "zones"?

If so, you will now be using a new map in a new folder, called something like "Europe_North" or "Europe_West", but the old "Western Europe" folder will still be there.

Have you possibly put the files in the wrong map folder?
jamsie
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Jan 28, 2012 10:32 am    Post subject: Attn Andy P and Gerry C Reply with quote

Good Morning,

Again first of all let me say how grateful i am getting your help,
now the crux as to post 1 with explorer thats way over my head as i use mozilla firefox,

as to post 2 about the maps the answer is yes i did get an update to install as the tom tom was i believe not NEW but RECONDITIONED.
I did ask tom tom if the machine had been used before and they said no it was a factory model that had never been owned by anyone.

The map i am using just now isProfile folder = C:\Documents and Settings\James\Application Data\TomTom\HOME\Profiles\26tzrgm9.default

(Most of the rest deleted as not needed.... A.P.)

CurrentMap=Europe_West
CurrentMapVersion=880.3810
Oldboy
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Jan 28, 2012 11:07 am    Post subject: Re: Attn Andy P and Gerry C Reply with quote

jamsie wrote:
now the crux as to post 1 with explorer thats way over my head as i use mozilla firefox,
Andy was referring to Windows Explorer, not Internet Explorer.

A useful tool for printing out a Folder Listing is DriveZ. Note that this is only for XP or earlier Operating Systems.

TT 910 V7.903: Europe Map v1045
TT Via 135 App 12.075: Europe Map v1120
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Jan 28, 2012 2:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Exactly!

We want you to use WINDOWS Explorer... also known as "My Computer"... the basic Windows tool for viewing files and folders on your PC.
The thing you use if you want to copy or move a file from one place to another.

Smile

Last edited by Andy_P on Sat Jan 28, 2012 2:29 pm; edited 1 time in total
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Jan 28, 2012 2:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Right, I've waded through all the info you gave (and deleted most of it as it was not really relevant, and was messing up the format of the forum due to some very long lines of text).

All I was after was the names of the map folders you had on the Go itself, and the names of the POI files inside.... But I think I've seen the problem *is* as I guessed in post #11.

You have got a new "zone" map, and that is in a folder called "Europe_West"

THAT'S where all your POI files need to be put.

If you have been putting them in the old "Western_Europe" folder, they will not be seen by the system.
Only POIs in the CURRENTLY USED map folder get shown.

Have another go with WINDOWS Explorer (a.k.a. "My Computer") and tell us what you see.... A folder called "Europe_West"? Another folder called "Western Europe"?

Are the camera files in "Europe_West"?

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: