Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Waymarks / POIs
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Waymarks / POIs

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Satmap Active 10
View previous topic :: View next topic  
davidor
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2012 11:39 am    Post subject: Waymarks / POIs Reply with quote

I use POIs as waymarks when planning a walk - I prefer not to have the route marked as a line on the map as I find it obscures information.
This means that on a 10 or 12 mile walk I have maybe 15 or 20 POIs. Afterwards I want to delete these, but it seems I have to delete, and confirm, each one separately. This is a bit tedious and I'm sure there must be a better way.
How do you plan and mark your walks? and am I missing something when it comes to deleting POIs?
LostMike
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2012 1:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My initial thought is to put them all in one folder on your SD card. Then when the walk is over just delete or empty the folder.

Does that help?
Satsync 1.525
Gibbo10
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2012 12:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

LostMike wrote:
My initial thought is to put them all in one folder on your SD card. Then when the walk is over just delete or empty the folder.

Does that help?

It's not stated in davidor's post whether he plans his routes directly in the Active 10 or on a digital map and then imports to into it through satsync and whether he wants to delete them directly from the A10.

If it is directly in the A10 then I don't think there an easier way, unfortunately I don't think Mike's suggestion would work in this case as you can't create folders directly in satmap only in satsync, and there is no way to bulk delete a folder from the A10 even if you had created it in Satsync - that is unless you know how??? I think that you would need to have created the folder in satsync with at least one POI to then be able to add further POIs into it through the A10. You could then perform an edit all and make the folder not visible until you are back home at a PC.

if you are working with Satsync then you could do as Mike suggests above or you can hold down CRTL and click on the POIs that you want to mass delete.

Tip, if you set one of your data boxes to "Distance to next POI" then delete each one as you reach it or make it not visible (by clicking on it with the joystick and highlighting it in information pop then nudge the joystick to the right) and the data box will immidiately give you the distance (as the crow flies) to the next POI. rather than having to get to the half way distance.

Personally though. I always use a route but I plot it to one side of the footpath so it doesn't obstruct any map information, then you can use the data boxes to provide loads of live route information.
My Blog Geocache Trails
davidor
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2012 12:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for replies so far. I usually plot the POIs directly onto the Satmap, after looking on a larger map.
I'm sure I used to be able to create groups of POIs in separate folders, then just delete that folder directly on the Satmap without using Satsync. Perhaps it is something that changed with one of the recent firmware/software updates.
lostme
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2012 11:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I seem to recall that I have deleted a folder by putting the SD card in the card reader slot of my computer and deleting directly using windows explorer.

Don't know if this helps
LostMike
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Jan 21, 2012 7:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

davidor I have been thinking about your reason for using POIs, i.e. the route markers hiding details on the map obscuring information. Are you aware that you can alter the colour of the route marker? I recall that a number of users complained of this at one stage and so SatMap introduced the ability to change the route colour. If you go into the routes menu on the A10 and select "edit" there is an option to change the active route colour. I find that if you choose one of the lighter colours then when the joystick is not being moved the route is reasonably transparent. Moving the joystick makes it temporarily opaque.

Not sure it this will help you but I thought it might be worth a mention.
Satsync 1.525
davidor
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2012 7:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for your comments Mike. I was aware of the faded route lines (it was one of the first things I asked Satmap if they could do something about years ago). However I like to add just enough waypoints (as POIs) to mark out a 10 or 12 mile walk, and I don't want these linked by lines as they will not follow the route. I have asked Satmap if they could give an additional option on the line configuration to have no line as well as the existing six options.
I think this would be useful if you just want to create a set of waypoints without having to mark a route exactly.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Satmap Active 10 All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: