Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - REVIEW COMMENTS: Brodit Mounts
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

REVIEW COMMENTS: Brodit Mounts
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Other Hardware and Software
View previous topic :: View next topic  
PJM3
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Sep 14, 2003 8:04 am    Post subject: REVIEW COMMENTS: Brodit Mounts Reply with quote

I have just used the proclip in my TT and I used heavy duty velcro rather than screwing the cradle to the clip. It works a treat and allows me to hide it away leaving the clip looking like just an empty phone mount.
DavidW
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Sep 14, 2003 8:04 am    Post subject: REVIEW COMMENTS: Brodit Mounts Reply with quote

The move clips are pretty clever! They're of no use to me as my mount's power cable is buried behind my dashboard, but they could help many users.

David
Bluecan
Occasional Visitor

Have you seen the new move clips Part No 213005. These clips allow the holder to be easily removed and transferred to another proclip. They are packaged to give a male part to affix to the Holder and two female parts to affix to two proclips. I have fitted proclips to both mine and my wife's vehicle. They allow me to transfer the Ipaq holder between the two vehicles.

Nemesis supply them and cost £9.99 for the pack of three (2 female and 1 male)

Alan Paul
johnmar
Regular Visitor

By the way, when I mentioned " as featured on this site" I was referring to Pocket GPS, not the theclip.com. Dave has in fact reviewed this mount in the "Hardware" section.

iPAQ3830 (32MB) PPC2002 ROM 1.20
CF Expansion Pack
Holux GR-213 GPS Mouse (GSW3.1.1 -3.1.00.07 C23B1.00)
Kingston Elite Pro 1 GB CF Card for maps
Viking 512MB SD Card (not used for navigating)
TTNav 5.210 (5430) Maps of W Europe
Buffy Beagle
Regular Visitor

Thanks John. That looks hopefull, and the site you highlight suggests that they think their vent mounts will fit any vent, whereas I had always thought you had to specify exactly what model vehicle you had in order to be sure of a good fix. That's good. They also say they have never broken a vent which is good as I tend to be a "get a bigger hammer" sort of person and I could well end up in the Guiness Book of Records as the first person to break a vent whilst fixing a mount! I am going to try the Velcro option first as that will fix onto a solid area on the dashboard and leave the vents fully operational, also, the iPaq will be in exactly the right place then. I may well adopt a 'belt and braces' scenario and tie the iPaq to something with a loop of flat ribbon which I know will slip between the iPaq and the sleeve. Thanks everyone . . . Buffy :0)
johnmar
Regular Visitor

Buffy

I have been looking at some alternatives to mounts which can sometimes look rather obtrusive when not in use and can attract attention from would-be thieves.

I have ordered a Vent Mount from the USA as featured on this site http://www.theclip.com/mall/mounts.asp but am not sure whether it will protrude far enough from the vent in order to clear the padded part of the dashboard which is immediately below the vent in my car. As an alternative, I have also ordered a Swivel Mount from the same company, which like the Vent Mount relies on a button stuck to the back of the iPAQ/sleeve. The Swiv Mnt can either be stuck to the dash (space permitting) or alternatively to say a Brodit Proclip instead of using Velcrow.

iPAQ3830 (32MB) PPC2002 ROM 1.20
CF Expansion Pack
Holux GR-213 GPS Mouse (GSW3.1.1 -3.1.00.07 C23B1.00)
Kingston Elite Pro 1 GB CF Card for maps
Viking 512MB SD Card (not used for navigating)
TTNav 5.210 (5430) Maps of W Europe
Buffy Beagle
Regular Visitor

That sounds perfect. We have a VW campervan and try very hard to deter thieves by making it look scruffy, but the Flora tub on the dashboard is a bit 'over the top' even by our standards!!! It does work though, so perhaps we should patent it quickly!! Thanks PJM3. Buffy :0)
PJM3
Occasional Visitor

The heavy duty stuff came from B&Q. It will hold up to 15kgs !!! and the effort it takes to pull off I can believe it. Velcro Ltd Tel 01606 738806 part number under the under the bar code is 5 030610 603399. comes in black and white.
Buffy Beagle
Regular Visitor

Heavy duty Velcro . . . . . . hhmmmm :0) Presumably this is sticky backed? We have an iPaq with a sleeve, which makes it all quite heavy. Would a generous use of heavy duty Velcro be good enough to fix the iPaq plus sleeve to a vertical smooth surface on the dash board? The smooth sided Velcro would just live on the back of the sleeve and the scratchy toothy sided Velcro would stay fixed permanently on the dashboard.

Because we were going away just after our kit arrived we needed to be able to attach the iPaq to the dashboard. SO, I cut down a Flora margarine tub, used thin wire to attach it (through 2 holes in its base) to some vertical bars I uncovered when I removed part of the dash board, and then used a knitting needle to thread across the front of the iPaq to stop it falling out of the Flora tub! I cut a hole in the side of the margarine tub to be able to insert the charger to the base of the iPaq. It works really well, AND the knitting needle is a yellow one so it is colour coordinated too!! I used duct tape to cushion the iPaq from scratching on the wire. I have delayed ordering a proper mounting as we have not found one which will be sure to fit our VW van . . . . the picture supplied of what is supposed to be the dashboard of our van is quite different. Also we have a fan mounted on top of the dashboard which complicates things a bit. Does anyone manage with Velcro ?????    

Buffy :0)
Dave
Frequent Visitor

Darren and Mike have completed their review of the Brodit Mounts, and the review is now online. I must admit, I must admit I passed on testing these great mounts because I'm in the middle of testing several other mounts, needless to say I'm a bit jealious now! These mounts do look superb!

The full review can be found here.
Michael
Occasional Visitor

Bobby,

I too have a haicom H203R and have been looking at the Brodit mounts. Which Brodit mount did you purchase, and what was needed fo rthe modification.

thanks,

Michael
bobby
Occasional Visitor

You can order the brodit kits drom nemesis in worcs, 0870 7775530

Sort out the part numbers for ypur specific PDA and car at www.brodit.com

I have just recieved one for my 3970 linked with a Haicom 203E receiver cable.

Needs some slight modifying but not too much of a job (10mins).

timd
Occasional Visitor

These look great.

Does anyone know if it's possible to use the Brodit active mounts with a non-Compaq sync/charge cable (38xx), as I have one already?

Also does the holder for iPaq without expansion pack fit an iPaq with the standard cover, or would I need an expansion pack type for that?

Thanks

Tim
johndglynn
Occasional Visitor

I have to agree with Graeme - I have also used handnav (that's who the above link is to) and they are excellent - fantastic communications. Well done!
Graeme Simpson
Occasional Visitor

Having seen these fantastic mounts in action I was desperate to get hold of one, having tried on many occassions to get BRODIT to speak to me (your links) and failed, I hunted around and came across the following site:

Brodit Vehicle Mount System

The mount itself starts from £29.99 INC P&P - A Bargain, they can also supply the relevant Pro Clip for your vehicle.

The service I got from this company was superb, a genuine FIRST CLASS company to deal with, they even do a "Call Back" service if you have any questions.

Give them a try - I might add that I am NOTHING to do with this company, just one very happy customer.

Graeme

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Other Hardware and Software All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: