Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Route planning software for the 6600
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Route planning software for the 6600

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Other Software
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ourmike
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Aug 09, 2004 12:14 pm    Post subject: Route planning software for the 6600 Reply with quote

Sorry this is a bit off-topic, but can anybody recommend route planning software for the 6600? I don't want to replace my satnav system, I just need something that I can use when I'm away from my vehicle to give a reasonably accurate mileage between points in the UK. It doesn't really even need to show a map of the route, just the distance will do.

Many thanks in advance.
clivers
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Aug 09, 2004 3:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

well im tempted to try this on mine
http://www.66.com/route66/index.php

about £260 with a bluetooth reciever
ourmike
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Aug 24, 2004 6:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

But a bit expensive for my purposes - I just want the route planner/distances, not GPS/satnav functionality.
swing
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Tue Aug 24, 2004 8:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ourmike wrote:
But a bit expensive for my purposes - I just want the route planner/distances, not GPS/satnav functionality.
If you just want route planner / distances your best option may well be an online route planner - I know the Orange World site gives a limited route planning option for Orange subscribers, and I would expect similar from others. Otherwise, use Opera and access a true website such as www.rac.co.uk and use its route planner.
ourmike
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Aug 25, 2004 2:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks swing, but this also sounds like an expensive sledgehammer, with a data connection every time I want to check a distance. I think I really need something I can use offline.
PeterB
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Aug 26, 2004 2:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ourmike,

Route 66 have just reduced their prices for the mobile kit by 100E.

I have been using it now for about 6 weeks on a Nokia 6600 and it has now become my preferred guide vs a PDA with TT or CoPilot.

The GPRS based TMC data and auto re-routing is a winner.

PeterB
ourmike
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Aug 28, 2004 7:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I appreciate everybody's help, and maybe it's just because I'm asking the question in the wrong forum, but I really need somehing which doesn't have GPS capability and especially not real-time downloads.

When I'm in my vehicle I don't need it. But when I'm out shopping or sitting in a motorway service area, or anywhere away from my vehicle, I need to be able to quickly find the distance between any two points in the UK, with or without a map/route being displayed.

I have searched the web but can't find anything like this, and I would guess from the replies I've had here that it probably doesn't exist.
trafcam
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Sep 01, 2004 2:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a few questions:

a) Do you know in advance where all these locations are? By that, I mean are they all customers, or suppliers, or something you have a fixed list of?

b) How much detail are you expecting to have? For example are you looking for a drop-down list by county of towns and villages, or could you manually enter a lat/long location, or somewhere in between?

If these are all places you know in advance, you could store their lat/longs in a database - look them up on streetmap.co.uk or wherever and update the database yourself.

Then, the only issue is how the device will know where you are, without any kind of positioning data. You might be able to use the phone cell information but this varies from good (in built-up areas) to useless (in the sticks). Otherwise you would have to select your current location from a drop-down list and go from there.

I guess what you're looking for is an automated version of the old table that used to be in the back of a road atlas?
ourmike
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Sep 01, 2004 3:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Trafcam. I'm a courier and I need to be able to quote prices based on distances between places that I don't know about beforehand. Towns or the first part of postcodes would be OK, villages or full postcodes would be brilliant, but the device doesn't need to know where I am.

After a year in the business I'm starting to know approximate distances between the places I go to frequently. I did start to keep a record but there are too many new places for this to be worthwhile. The old distance table idea would be good, but on paper it would have to be about 10 feet wide!

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Other Software All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: