Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Extreme RANT www.globalpositioningsystems.co.uk
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Extreme RANT www.globalpositioningsystems.co.uk

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Retailers to buy from or avoid
View previous topic :: View next topic  
mcwill
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Nov 24, 2003 6:29 pm    Post subject: Extreme RANT www.globalpositioningsystems.co.uk Reply with quote

Just a warning for those people contemplating using

www.globalpositioningsystems.co.uk.

On 24th Oct 2003 we ordered 3 of the following GPS packs

(Haicom MMF CF GPS + TomTom Navigator 2 GB + iPAQ H2210 + Cable + Arkon Mount + 128mb SD card)

However instead of the Haicom 303 MMF cards as stated and pictured on their website, we received 303-E units. I don't know if the 303-E's were a bad batch but they would not maintain sat lock on the dash of a car. Certainly very different from the performance of the Sirf chipped MMF cards as reviewed here.

Spotlight didn't have the MMF card available for replacement so we agreed to return the 303-E/TomTom2/Cable to be replaced with a standard TomTom2/Leadtek & 2210 cable. (Only to discover after returning the units that it too was also out of stock).

After 2 weeks of waiting during which time the cables that the order was waiting on had come back in stock at least once without our order being shipped we gave up and cancelled the order on Fri 14th. When enquiring when we would be refunded for the above return I was told it was too late to do it that day but it would be done on Monday (17th Nov).

Unsupprising it is now the 24th and no refund has yet been made to our bank account.

Sorry for dragging this up here but I'm afraid I've lost confidence in the company because

a) 303-E units were shipped not the 303 MMF advertised.

b) The replacement order wasn't shipped when according to their website stock was available

c) A refund has still not been made a week after it was promised.

Unhappily,
Iain McWilliams
Privateer
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Nov 24, 2003 9:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Iain,

Sorry to hear of your unhappy experience with Global Positioning Systems. I bought my complete system from them (iPAQ 3970, TTNav2 + cable GPS, SD card) in May 2003 and I couldn’t fault them in the way that they advised me via telephone before I purchased, and for their service after I ordered the equipment from their web site. This was at a time when TTNav2 was in high demand and short supply, as it had only just been released.

Looking through this forum, Global Positioning Systems has enjoyed one of the better positive feedbacks that a retailer could ask for. I have no connection with Global Positioning Systems, apart from being a satisfied customer.

OK, I realise that this doesn’t help you at the moment. Have you contacted their customer services at:

customerservices@globalpositioningsystems.co.uk

Is Simon Pitts still the Director of Spotlight Guides Ltd?
If he is, try contacting him on:

simon.pitts@spotlightguides.co.uk

I hope that you are able to resolve the matter quickly.

Regards,
Garmin Camper 770 LMT-D
mcwill
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Nov 24, 2003 10:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Privateer,

Yes I too have used them successfully in the past in a personal capacity which is why I had no qualms in using them for a large business purchase.

Obviously that opinion has now changed.

I already have a fair history of emails to/from customerservices but on your suggestion I've forwarded it to Simon Pitts to see if he can sort it out.

Regards,
Iain
simon pitts
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Nov 24, 2003 10:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Iain,

Thank you for your email of your earlier posting (just received) and further to our telephone conversation this evening please be assured that the issues you have brought to my attention will be addressed immediately tomorrow morning.

I can only apologise for the difficulties you have had with your order and I will personally investigate and the reasons as to why you have not received a timely refund.

As your previous orders with us are testimony, your most recent experience is not typical, but occasionally and unfortunately, we do make mistakes. I can only apologise for these mistakes and ensure that we learn from them.

Simon Pitts
Director

Spotlight Guides Ltd
ASH6812
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Aug 12, 2004 3:56 pm    Post subject: Whats the difference? Reply with quote

Hi,

Reading through this, and it is interesting as I am having problems with the 303e. Have returned for a replacement after 7 days due to faulty unit.

What I wanted to ask?

What's the difference between the 303e and 303MMF.

Looking at reviews they seem to be the same thing - am I wrong?

Thanks
HellFire
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Aug 12, 2004 5:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I’ve also ordered from them and the item come next day, good service
twotonemark
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Aug 12, 2004 10:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've recently ordered and received a Fortuna PrymNav bundle. I had a little trouble selecting the correct com port. I followed the instructions on the reverse of their invoice for troubleshooting, which is firstly post a topic on their forum. So I did before I went to work and a couple of hours later a get an unexpected call from their Tech Support. They had read my posting on the forum and contacted me to give assistance.

I give them my personal recommendation.

I'm sorry to hear some have not had as good a experience.

Mark.
Inspiron8500
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Aug 17, 2004 6:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I too have had a poor experience with this company http://www.pocketgpsworld.com/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&t=6906

This was sorted out with a small amount of compensation. Now my receiver is broken. The GPS jumps all over the place and now theres a rattle in the receiver, something has obviously come loose.

I have made 2 attemps to call their tech support both times i held for an hour and gave up. Their sales line took my details last week and STILL havent called me back! BEWARE
Catherine
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Aug 23, 2004 8:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Inspiron,

If you e-mail your query/problem to technical@globalpositioningsystems.co.uk they will reply to you or if you request they will call you.

If you experience further delays in getting a reply then please e-mail me catherine.hinchcliffe@spotlightguides.co.uk and I will ensure this is resolved for you without further delay.

Catherine Hinchcliffe
Customer Services Manager
radionotme
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Aug 25, 2004 2:15 pm    Post subject: Pricematching Reply with quote

I was also intending to purchase from their company, especially after seeing that they had a "Pricematch Promise". I'd seen the stuff I wanted on www.expansys.com, however the good reviews of globalpositioningsystems led me to investigate the price of a similar setup.

I found pretty much what I wanted, but at an additional cost of £30 or so in one of their 'bundles'. (HP2210 + Navman 4410 Bluetooth GPS)
I emailed them asking if they could pricematch, but they said that because they offered the stuff as a bundle, and I'd priced up the individual components, then the pricematch was invalid.
When I queried this, they simply came back and said that pricematching is at their discretion and is not a guarantee - making me question the use of the word 'promise'.

I'm still waiting to hear back on that one.
Catherine
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Aug 26, 2004 10:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Radionotme,

I don't know the details of your specific price match query but if you e-mail me I'll look into it and give you a call back.

catherine.hinchcliffe@spotlightguides.co.uk

Catherine Hinchcliffe
Customer Services Manager
Skippy
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Thu Aug 26, 2004 1:41 pm    Post subject: Re: Pricematching Reply with quote

radionotme wrote:
they had a "Pricematch Promise".

I see lots of places with a large banner proclaiming their pricematch promise, but when you look at the fine print it turns out that they will either match the price or not do the deal - it's their option.

The consumer thinks they are getting a lowest price guarantee, but in reality the retailer could just look at the price to be matched and say "We can't beat that price, No Sale".

Why do companies offer these "price match promises" - they are practially worthless in real life.
radionotme
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Aug 26, 2004 7:50 pm    Post subject: Re: Pricematching Reply with quote

I'm happy to report that Globalpositioningsystems are not one of these companies however, and have honoured their 'promise'.
I've agreed to a price with them, and goods have been despatched - once they arrive I'll confirm that these guys have yet another very satisfied customer!
Skippy
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Fri Aug 27, 2004 12:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's good news! My faith in retailers has been restored somewhat. : :D
radionotme
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Aug 29, 2004 8:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Product arrived yesterday (despite being told that they don't do Saturday deliveries) at home (rather than work as requested), but since this means I got it 3 days earlier than expected, I'm very happy.

It works very well - thanks to globalpositioningsystems.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Retailers to buy from or avoid All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: