Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Confirmation of successful 2012 Europe map update?
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Confirmation of successful 2012 Europe map update?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Garmin Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Chipstix
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Jan 04, 2012 12:52 pm    Post subject: Confirmation of successful 2012 Europe map update? Reply with quote

Hi folks,

Over the holidays I took the Garmin £60 offer for lifetime Nuvi map updates.

I have a Garmin Nuvi 760 with Europe 2008 original maps installed

Having completed the download, I attempted to update but the 2012 Europe map would not fit on the internal memory.

I installed a 4GB SD card into the SD slot, and having spoken to Garmin I installed Europe 2012 to the SD card. I then installed UK & Ireland 2012 to the internal memory.

Couple of questions

1) Is the strategy that I have gone with correct? Will this mean that when driving around the UK I will have the latest maps? And when in Europe, as soon as I select a particular country, the unit will automatically pick up the 2012 map for that country from the SD card?
2) Are the 2008 maps now completely gone? I.e. did the UK&Ireland internal installation remove the 2008 Europe maps from the internal memory?
3) How do I check on the unit that this update has taken correctly. I can see how to check map version on the built in memory, but not how to see via the unit what maps are installed on the card?
4) What else is updated with the new maps? (POIs, fuel stations, speed cameras?)

Many thanks, Chris
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Jan 04, 2012 4:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If it works anything like my TomTom...
1. you have to switch maps manually. there is no "auto-switchover"
2. The unit only tells you the version number of the currently selected map, so you need to switch to the other map to check that version number.

But are you sure you NEED the UK map? Doesn't the Europe map include the UK as well? The Garmin City Navigator® Europe NT certainly does.
Chipstix
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Jan 04, 2012 4:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Andy_P wrote:

But are you sure you NEED the UK map? Doesn't the Europe map include the UK as well? The Garmin City Navigator® Europe NT certainly does.

I had thought that, but I have no idea how you 'blank' the content of the internal memory, hence thought I had to put something on there...?
PhilHornby
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Jan 04, 2012 6:03 pm    Post subject: Re: Confirmation of successful 2012 Europe map update? Reply with quote

Chipstix wrote:
I installed a 4GB SD card into the SD slot, and having spoken to Garmin I installed Europe 2012 to the SD card. I then installed UK & Ireland 2012 to the internal memory.

Andy_P wrote:
Doesn't the Europe map include the UK as well? The Garmin City Navigator® Europe NT certainly does.

Chipstix also wrote:

Couple of questions

1) Is the strategy that I have gone with correct? Will this mean that when driving around the UK I will have the latest maps? And when in Europe, as soon as I select a particular country, the unit will automatically pick up the 2012 map for that country from the SD card?
2) Are the 2008 maps now completely gone? I.e. did the UK&Ireland internal installation remove the 2008 Europe maps from the internal memory?
3) How do I check on the unit that this update has taken correctly. I can see how to check map version on the built in memory, but not how to see via the unit what maps are installed on the card?
4) What else is updated with the new maps? (POIs, fuel stations, speed cameras?)

Some answers ...

1. It seems as good as any. You have overlapping maps (because the UK is included in Europe as a whole Confused ), but that condition seems to be handled ok.
  2. The Map Installer should have replaced City Navigator Europe 2008 NT that was on the unit, with the UK 2012 subset, but there is a faint possibility that the UK was added as a supplemental map, depending on the process you followed...
  3. Go to "Tools | Settings | Map | Map Info". This will show you a list of all the detected (and unlocked) maps on the unit (including the currently inserted SD card). The Active ones will have a tick next to them. You can Activate/De-activate maps, by touching their entry in the list.
  4. As per your list (apart from Speed Cameras) Very Happy ... Basically, everything you see listed under "Where to? | Points of Interest"

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Garmin Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: