Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Brixly - Fast, Reliable, Secure UK Web Hosting
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - CamerAlert stopped working
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

CamerAlert stopped working

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> CamerAlert on Android
View previous topic :: View next topic  
uffbrock
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Dec 30, 2011 4:57 pm    Post subject: CamerAlert stopped working Reply with quote

New to Smart Phones. Running (or trying to run) CamerAlert for Android on an HTC Desire S.

Android Version 2.3.5; CamerAlert version 1.3.4 build 533.

Original CamerAlert installation 13.12.11

Worked fine for a week or so. Now, when I try to initiate the app, I get only a brief flash of the CamerAlert Main screen (1/2 second or so) and am then thrown back to the screen from which I tried to initiate the app. I might also then receive the ‘Take care you are not running the latest database’ voice message (I haven’t yet committed to a database subscription).

No icon in notification bar but CamerAlert does appear to be registered as a ‘running app’. Re-tapping the app icon results in nothing other than another brief flash of the CamerAlert main screen).

The original purchase would have been made whilst my (new) GiffGaff SIM was running under its supplied number. Have since transferred my own number to the phone. Could that be relevant?

Reluctant to uninstall/reinstall for fear that doing so will cock up my ‘free’ initial speed camera database download.

Any help/ideas appreciated.
MaFt
Pocket GPS Staff
Pocket GPS Staff

PostPosted: Sat Dec 31, 2011 12:23 pm    Post subject: Re: CamerAlert stopped working Reply with quote

uffbrock wrote:
The original purchase would have been made whilst my (new) GiffGaff SIM was running under its supplied number. Have since transferred my own number to the phone. Could that be relevant?

It shouldn't be...

uffbrock wrote:
Reluctant to uninstall/reinstall for fear that doing so will cock up my ‘free’ initial speed camera database download.

Don't worry about that - we can manually reactivate the '1 free update' when needed. In cases like this where the app is failing to run then it's only fair that by helping us troubleshot a possible issue that we get you back up to date again!

Therefore, in a bit, I will ask that you delete the app and then redownload from the Market? You won't be charged again if you are using the same Google account.

But first can you take a look in a file manager (some phones have them built in, but you may need to download 'Astro File Manager' for free from Market) and go to: sdcard\Android\data\com.pocketgpsworld.cameralert\files and email us any files in there to support AT pocketgpsworld.com (along with a link to this thread so we know what they related to!)

THEN can you delete the app and reinstall it. It could be something simple like the database files being corrupted.

Once done can you post back here and let us know if that resolves it - if it does then we can get the one-shot update back for you. If it doesn't then we start scratching heads!

MaFt
uffbrock
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Dec 31, 2011 1:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks MaFt for the prompt and comprehensive reply. I'm a bit tied up at the moment re preparations for tonight but will respond with the required details ASAP thereafter.
uffbrock
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Dec 31, 2011 5:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Had a quick look in sdcard/Android/data/ but there's no com.pocketgpsworld.cameralert sub-directory - only three for com.Google..., one for uk.co.thetimes and one for com.android.providers.media.

The only reference to com.pocketgpsworld I can find is under /mnt/asec but that has just a lib sub-directory (empty) and the application itself.

Haven't uninstalled yet.
MaFt
Pocket GPS Staff
Pocket GPS Staff

PostPosted: Sat Dec 31, 2011 5:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK, so it must be crashing before it can even generate a crash log Smile

Not to worry, let's try uninstalling and reinstalling!

MaFt
uffbrock
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Jan 01, 2012 3:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK, that seems to have done the trick thanks. As to database version/size, I'm apparently running Server 9.123 30034, Device 7.000 26806. I don't know whether that is the version included in the fresh download or whether the earlier up-to-date database download has somehow survived.
lbendlin
Pocket GPS Staff
Pocket GPS Staff

PostPosted: Sun Jan 01, 2012 3:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

that's the vanilla database we include in the application. You'll want to download the latest db version.

Report Map Errors here:
TomTom/TeleAtlas NAVTEQ
uffbrock
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Jan 01, 2012 3:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks. But how do I reinstall the one shot update that I lost when I had to uninstall?
lbendlin
Pocket GPS Staff
Pocket GPS Staff

PostPosted: Sun Jan 01, 2012 3:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

over to MaFt... he can re-enable the one free download.

Report Map Errors here:
TomTom/TeleAtlas NAVTEQ
MaFt
Pocket GPS Staff
Pocket GPS Staff

PostPosted: Sun Jan 01, 2012 3:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi uffbrock, I have now restored your 1 free download so you can get back up to date.

Happy new year

MaFt
uffbrock
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Jan 01, 2012 3:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK, done.

Happy New Year to you too and thanks again for your help.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> CamerAlert on Android All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: