Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Next Garmin Advice - Replies appreciated thanks :)
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Next Garmin Advice - Replies appreciated thanks :)
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Garmin Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
20vt-rs
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Dec 19, 2011 10:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks guys, and no problems with the multiple routes - I generally just go from a to b and thats it. If I was a delivery driver it'd be a different story. I did consider the 1490 but it's too big for me I'm afraid Embarassed

The 1390's not here yet, christmas post but all being well should be this week... I'm hoping it'll be a step up from my 250 with better up-to-date maps!
sussamb
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Mon Dec 19, 2011 1:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hope Santa comes soon. Maps will certainly be more up to date, hopefully better too!

Once you have it up and running be sure to do a software upgrade unless it already comes with 5.70 installed, as it fixed a few problems with earlier software, mainly favourite icons not displaying properly.

Also a tip, switch it on with a clear view of the sky and leave it there for a while to enable it to build up its almanac table of the satellites. It'll prevent irritations like constantly being asked to input country and slow satellite acquisition.
20vt-rs
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Dec 19, 2011 2:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sussamb wrote:
Hope Santa comes soon. Maps will certainly be more up to date, hopefully better too!

Once you have it up and running be sure to do a software upgrade unless it already comes with 5.70 installed, as it fixed a few problems with earlier software, mainly favourite icons not displaying properly.

Also a tip, switch it on with a clear view of the sky and leave it there for a while to enable it to build up its almanac table of the satellites. It'll prevent irritations like constantly being asked to input country and slow satellite acquisition.

I hope so too Smile

Thanks for the tips and advice. I will let you guys know how I get on with it.

Cheers.
portman
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Dec 22, 2011 8:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://www.currys.co.uk/gbuk/garmin-n-vi-2340-lmt-gps-sat-nav-10553915-pdt.html
20vt-rs
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Dec 22, 2011 10:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok, well I've managed to have a play with the 1390 and initial thoughts are it's very good. Much quicker than my 250 and better touchscreen. I have updated the software and copied over my favourates, upon registering it looks like I have a free map update as well, the unit has a map dated Apr11 on it and my free map update expires March 12, I guess I'd be better off waiting until close to the expiry date and then updating the maps then rather than now?

Off to play some more now Smile
sussamb
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Thu Dec 22, 2011 10:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Garmins policy allows you to update your maps at any stage within the 90 day period, so if you update now and another is released within the 90 days you can update again Smile
20vt-rs
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Dec 22, 2011 10:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sussamb wrote:
Garmins policy allows you to update your maps at any stage within the 90 day period, so if you update now and another is released within the 90 days you can update again Smile

Ah perfect, thanks for clarifying that - the way it's worded on the garmin page makes it sound like it's a do once thing. I'm gonna go do that now Smile

Anything else I should think about whilst I'm tinkering at the PC with the unit?

Oh and one last question, I'm going to either sell or recycle my Garmin 250, so I'd like to wipe the data on it - can it be factory reset? How is this done?
Thanks...
sussamb
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Fri Dec 23, 2011 8:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

From Garmin's FAQs:

Question:
How do I perform a master reset on my nuvi 30, 40, 50, 200, 205, 465, 500, 600, 700, 705 or 1000 series device?

Answer:
To perform a Master Reset on the nuvi 200, 205, 465, 500, 600, 700, 705, 1100, 1200, 1300, 1400 or 1600 series device:

Note: A master reset will erase all waypoints or Favorites and will restore your unit to the default factory settings. If you would like to back up your Favorites to your computer, you can find instructions to do so here.

• Start with the unit OFF and unplugged from power

• Touch and hold the lower right corner of the screen with an index finger or the eraser end of a pencil

• Continue touching and holding the lower right hand corner of the screen then power the unit ON

• Release the power button when the device powers ON

• You will see a new message: Do you really want to erase all user data?
Remove your finger from the touchscreen when this message displays

• Touch Yes (If text language is not in English, this is the button on the right )

The device will automatically reset. Follow the on screen prompts then place your device in an area with a clear view of the sky until it acquires satellites.
20vt-rs
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Dec 23, 2011 11:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thats great thank you for your help Thumbs Up
inspiredron
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Dec 26, 2011 2:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

sussamb wrote:

Are you sure? It used to be ONE free update only!
sussamb
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Mon Dec 26, 2011 12:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes Wink

Used to be one free update within 60 days, now as many as are issued within 90 days Smile
20vt-rs
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Dec 27, 2011 1:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Anyone recommend a decent case for the 1390t? I had a nice leasther flip case with a magnetic flap for my 250, but can't find one like this for the 1390...

Hope you all had a good Crimbo Smile
20vt-rs
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Dec 27, 2011 2:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

20vt-rs wrote:
Anyone recommend a decent case for the 1390t? I had a nice leasther flip case with a magnetic flap for my 250, but can't find one like this for the 1390...

Hope you all had a good Crimbo Smile

Well I just found a genuine sealed Garmin case on Ebay for £2.80 - but it was for the 250w and 205w, so hoping it'll fit as both are 4.3". Checked the specs on the web site and the 1390 is marginally thinner, fingers crossed Smile

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Garmin Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: