Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - The wifes Christmas Present....(One of..)
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

The wifes Christmas Present....(One of..)

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Sygic McGuider/Mobile Maps
View previous topic :: View next topic  
FrequentFlyer
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 10, 2011 9:01 pm    Post subject: The wifes Christmas Present....(One of..) Reply with quote

Hi guys,
I have entered the world of Android and bought my wife an Orange San Francisco 11. As I have only ever used Tom Tom myself on my old Touch HD, I would appreciate some advice.
I have paid my 99p and downloaded CamerAlert and was thinking of the Sygic App for her to go with it. (Hopefully they are compatible?) My question is does this make sense, or am I missing something with a better option ?
I also have CoPilot installed on mine but this seems expensive via Android. I guess that I am also going to have to think of upgrading sooner or later and would also go the Android route.....(I think)
Thanks for any input
peterc10
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Dec 11, 2011 11:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have Sygic (for Europe) and CamerAlert running on my HTC Sensation. I have set up a visual warning only for cameras on Sygic, so no sound (although I have got sounds available). I like Sygic's visual alert system as a box comes up on the screen counting down the distance to the camera.

I then run CamerAlert in the background with Sygic in the foreground. So I get the sound alerts only from CameAlert, which means I only get those for the cameras that apply to my direction of travel. And I can see on Sygic's screen where the camera is on the map and how far away it is. Of course the screen also shows cameras in the other direction, but, because I get not sound warning, that is much less annoying.

However to do that you need a reasonable amount of processing power on your phone, and I am not sure whether the San Francisco has enough. For example this system would not work on my previous phone, a HTC Hero. I could run one or the other but not both together. So you may just want to check the specs for the San Francisco.

I also run Copilot for the USA (at the time that I bought it was much cheaper than Sygic). However I have not had a chance to see if the same system works. I will do when I am over there for Christmas though.
Copilot for USA
Bury CC9060 bluetooth car kit & Brodit mount
FrequentFlyer
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 11, 2011 1:16 pm    Post subject: ? Reply with quote

Thanks for that I'll have to try it out in my car first..using the 12 volt cigar thing. Tell me, firing it up this morning , the 'lady' says I'm still using the old databse, but I'm pretty sure I put all my correct details in, but now I can't see a way to do it again ?? I've obviously missed something along the way....hopefully it's not going to be too stressful to get it up to date...thanks.
peterc10
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Dec 11, 2011 1:33 pm    Post subject: Re: ? Reply with quote

FrequentFlyer wrote:
.hopefully it's not going to be too stressful to get it up to date...thanks.

I assume you mean CamerAlert? In that case it could not be easier. When in CamerAlert hit menu - manage cameras - download database, and it then happens automatically. I do it via wifi - it takes about 15 seconds, but you can use mobile data if you want. That is as long as you are a paid-up subscriber to PGPSW
Copilot for USA
FrequentFlyer
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 11, 2011 2:04 pm    Post subject: , Reply with quote

Thanks...stupid of me....done it. As a very long time TT user, (just coming up to 10 years...first one purchased in Holland and very expensive it was too) I do wish they would bring out an App the I would be happy to upgrade my phone, but meanwhile I'll carry on with my Touch HD which has both TT and CoPilot for various reasons , mostly financial. I have the options of N America, all of Europe , Australia and S Africa. And as back up I can always fall back on my HP IPAQ. Those were the days, and I still reckon it's a great stand alone device together with the Holux GPS receiver. On my long haul travels I tend to stick it my case for,as I say, back up, and it's still nice to use once in a while!
One last point, would you recommend Sygic ? Looking on feedback, they seem to get a lot of flack...but then, CoPilot support leaves a lot to be desired in my opinion.
peterc10
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Dec 11, 2011 3:47 pm    Post subject: Re: , Reply with quote

FrequentFlyer wrote:
One last point, would you recommend Sygic ? Looking on feedback, they seem to get a lot of flack...but then, CoPilot support leaves a lot to be desired in my opinion.

Simple answer is "yes". They have been very good to me.

I have had two free major upgrades including upgraded maps without any quibble. The first when they moved from Mobile Maps 9, which I originally owned, to version 10. The second when I bought a new phone and wanted to migrate MM10 to it they said that it was no longer supported so agreed (without any prompting on my part) to let me have a free copy of what they then called Aura.

Since then it has been further updated three times (including a name change to Sygic GPS) free of charge on the market. And every time I have had a problem I have emailed them and they have sorted it out for me.

But then I have had no problem with copilot either. Again when I changed phones I emailed them and got a prompt reply explaining exactly how to do it. And again have had free updated maps, which is more than TT offer.

I am an ex-Ipaq, ex-Tom Tom user too. But I grew to hate TT with their debacle over refusing to bring out TT7 or update their WM software. And their support was awful - I knew more about their products than they did! I got told that TT6 could not run on my HTC Touch Diamond, despite me explaining that it was running fine on it - so I am a liar or stupid??

But others here recommend Navigon too, although I have never used it. I suspect the answer is to go for the cheapest out of the two.
Copilot for USA
scarymonkey
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 13, 2011 2:24 pm    Post subject: Re: The wifes Christmas Present....(One of..) Reply with quote

FrequentFlyer wrote:
Hi guys,
I have entered the world of Android and bought my wife an Orange San Francisco 11. As I have only ever used Tom Tom myself on my old Touch HD, I would appreciate some advice.
I have paid my 99p and downloaded CamerAlert and was thinking of the Sygic App for her to go with it. (Hopefully they are compatible?) My question is does this make sense, or am I missing something with a better option ?
I also have CoPilot installed on mine but this seems expensive via Android. I guess that I am also going to have to think of upgrading sooner or later and would also go the Android route.....(I think)
Thanks for any input

I do this although I have a Motorola RAZR so have the processing power to cope well. I have also found that with both running the battery still drains slightly when powering from a normal 500mA charger but I now use an external battery pack with a 2.1A power feed which gets around this.

Also if you are not aware, it is now possible to import the CamerAlert database into Sygic as custom POI files.
Paulyeo11
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Dec 19, 2011 3:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi All

After reading this post. I notice that there is cameralert apps.

My question is why we need this apps , as when I use sygic , it does able alert me when camera on the high way.

Hope some one can advise me.

Paul
FrequentFlyer
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 19, 2011 3:58 pm    Post subject: ? Reply with quote

I guess the answer would be that PGPS would say that theirs is the most comprehensive , up to date and accurate list you will find in the UK ? I really don't know where all the other suppliers get their data from.
scarymonkey
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 19, 2011 4:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Paulyeo11 wrote:
Hi All

After reading this post. I notice that there is cameralert apps.

My question is why we need this apps , as when I use sygic , it does able alert me when camera on the high way.

Hope some one can advise me.

Paul

A couple of versions ago Sygic pulled support for custom POI from Aura (the name of the product back then) so an alternative was needed. The latest release though has added this much missed and requested feature back in.
The CamerAlert app (both Android and iPhone) offer a number of extras not in Sygic itself though - including reporting of cameras (with the ability to make voice notes and take a picture) from within the app. The Sygic reporting only goes to them and does not cover anywhere near as many cameras as CamerAlert does.
scarymonkey
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 19, 2011 4:10 pm    Post subject: Re: ? Reply with quote

FrequentFlyer wrote:
I guess the answer would be that PGPS would say that theirs is the most comprehensive , up to date and accurate list you will find in the UK ? I really don't know where all the other suppliers get their data from.

The latest Sygic versions allow you to import the PGPS CamerAlert database into the Sygic app now so if this is all that is required you do not need to purchase the app.
peterc10
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Dec 19, 2011 5:03 pm    Post subject: Re: ? Reply with quote

scarymonkey wrote:

The latest Sygic versions allow you to import the PGPS CamerAlert database into the Sygic app now so if this is all that is required you do not need to purchase the app.

Except, as I said in a previous post, the PGPSW database in Sygic does not have directional support, so half the warnings you get are for cameras on the other side of the road. So a lot of false alerts. CamerAlert does have directional support and is well worth the 69p it costs to get rid of most of the false alerts, whilst still having Sygic running in the foreground and giving visual alerts.
Copilot for USA
scarymonkey
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 19, 2011 5:17 pm    Post subject: Re: ? Reply with quote

peterc10 wrote:

Except, as I said in a previous post, the PGPSW database in Sygic does not have directional support, so half the warnings you get are for cameras on the other side of the road. So a lot of false alerts. CamerAlert does have directional support and is well worth the 69p it costs to get rid of most of the false alerts, whilst still having Sygic running in the foreground and giving visual alerts.

I should have clarified my point more as you are correct (and I personally use CamerAlert app with Sygic myself instead of importing). That said there are still some mobile alerts which are directional. The vast majority of these will also be able to 'get you' whether you are coming or going so should in fact be bi-directional. It is a case of do you prefer more false alerts or being warned about any that have incorrect direction info.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Sygic McGuider/Mobile Maps All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: