Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Has TomTom Forgot About Scotland? (EDIT: & Wales?)
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Has TomTom Forgot About Scotland? (EDIT: & Wales?)
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
MaFt
Pocket GPS Staff
Pocket GPS Staff

PostPosted: Fri Dec 16, 2011 1:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

M8TJT wrote:
Eeeah, Matthew is it? Why do the rest of us plebs have to call you MaFt then Rolling Eyes Twisted Evil

for official business i always use the namemy mother gave me (even though it was wrong Wink). i also manage proper capitalisation too!!

the plebs get my real name and lower case as you're not worth the energy of pressing the shift key. Shocked

MaFt
Oldboy
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Dec 16, 2011 7:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

MaFt wrote:
i also manage proper capitalisation too!!
Probably done with a macro, or AutoCorrect! Twisted Evil

TT 910 V7.903: Europe Map v1045
TT Via 135 App 12.075: Europe Map v1120
spook51
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 16, 2011 9:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd be spending a tenner on a FOI request to the relevant highway authority to ask the terms of their contract to supply traffic information to TomTom.

I just had a look at the Traffic Scotland website where I found:

Why is congestion information only available for selected roads?

Traffic monitoring equipment required to generate congestion data is only installed on specific sections of the Scottish trunk road network. These are currently limited to roads around Glasgow and Edinburgh.
Graeme2812
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Dec 16, 2011 10:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MaFt wrote:
i've contacted tomtom about this thread, i'll post any reply i get...
MaFt

Thanks Matt.

spook51 wrote:
I'd be spending a tenner on a FOI request to the relevant highway authority to ask the terms of their contract to supply traffic information to TomTom.

I just had a look at the Traffic Scotland website where I found:

Why is congestion information only available for selected roads?

Traffic monitoring equipment required to generate congestion data is only installed on specific sections of the Scottish trunk road network. These are currently limited to roads around Glasgow and Edinburgh.

I'm not sure the congestion coverage for Scotland is the issue here. It's more to do with the lack of additional information beyond congestion data that is missing that's the issue.

Would be interested to hear any feedback from those of you in Wales on this subject.

In an attempt to keep a fair and balanced discussion, I am still happy with the accuracy of the traffic flow reporting that my HD device is producing. It's just rather frustrating that the package of TomTom's HD traffic isn't (for me) complete.
United Kingdom & ROI v945.6174
spook51
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 17, 2011 8:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I appreciate that Graeme but it illustrates Traffic Scotland's attitude towards collecting traffic data i.e only the Glasgow/Edinburgh area. It could be that's the limit of the information TomTom receives from them - hence my suggestion for a FOI request.
Froggy
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Dec 17, 2011 11:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The information on Traffic Scotland's website is far more comprehensive than just Glasgow/Edinburgh. If you look at the 'Current incidents' page, it shows most of the road closures liable to cause problems - Rest and be Thankful, snow gates at Braemar etc...
spook51
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 17, 2011 12:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Froggy wrote:
The information on Traffic Scotland's website is far more comprehensive than just Glasgow/Edinburgh. If you look at the 'Current incidents' page, it shows most of the road closures liable to cause problems - Rest and be Thankful, snow gates at Braemar etc...

Which is precisely the reason I suggested a FOI request - until you know whether Traffic Scotland is contracted to supply the information you can't point the finger at Tom Tom.
Froggy
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Dec 17, 2011 5:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

But if it is not contracted, why not? Wht should Scotland/Wales be penalised Evil or Very Mad
M8TJT
The Other Tired Old Man
The Other Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Sat Dec 17, 2011 5:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Froggy wrote:
Wht should Scotland/Wales be penalised Evil or Very Mad
Well, they want independence so that they are not included in UK, so let Alex Salmond, Ieuan Wyn Jones et al sort it out
MaFt
Pocket GPS Staff
Pocket GPS Staff

PostPosted: Mon Dec 19, 2011 6:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry chaps and chapesses, they don't use Scottish 'incident' data:

Quote:
Hi Matthew,

I’ve spoken to our traffic team, and can confirm that we currently don’t use a 3rd party provider of traffic incidents in Scotland. Going forward we will continue to discuss the sharing of traffic incident data with potential partners in Scotland – and will update you if the situation changes…

Thanks

MaFt
avdl1999
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Dec 19, 2011 8:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's pants!! So pants in fact that the TomTom CEO should wear some..........on his head!!!

What a load of ridiculous todge! So forget getting incident data if you want to travel the length of the "UNITED" Kingdom?

God only knows how scottish residents will feel about being singled out when commuting on their local roads.

Their roads not worthy?? Rhetorical question (I assume it's contract related with Traffic Scotland)

This really is a farce! Tomtom just get worse. How many more customers do they want to alienate??
Daggers
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 19, 2011 8:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

avdl1999 wrote:
What a load of ridiculous todge! So forget getting incident data if you want to travel the length of the "UNITED" Kingdom?

I don't think I'd lay the blame solely at TomTom's door in this case. What we should really be asking is why a UNITED Kingdom should have 3 or 4 separate agencies responsible for the roads and traffic monitoring.

Ignoring TomTom for the purpose of this example, if I wanted to know the traffic situation before I set out on a journey from say Cardiff to Edinburgh, I would have to look at three separate websites - www.traffic-wales.com, www.highways.gov.uk, and trafficscotland.org. Why has this ridiculous situation been allowed to develop?
M8TJT
The Other Tired Old Man
The Other Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Mon Dec 19, 2011 9:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's called 'devolution' my friend Shocked Sad That's the sort of thing that happens, as well as the Scots and the Welsh having a large say on how England is run Rolling Eyes
MaFt
Pocket GPS Staff
Pocket GPS Staff

PostPosted: Mon Dec 19, 2011 9:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't forget though, TomTom sell their Live Traffic service, they DO NOT sell a Scottish Roads service, a Highways Agency service or a Welsh Dragon Warning service.

The data for the service that they sell comes from multiple sources including, but not limited to, Vodafone floating traffic data.

Yes, it's not great that they don't (perhaps can't? [remember, we don't know the details]) use the Scottish data.

Maybe a better way to look at it is that the English data features an extra source than the standard, Vodafone-only, countries which should, perhaps, be classed as the 'standard' service.

MaFt
M8TJT
The Other Tired Old Man
The Other Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Tue Dec 20, 2011 6:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This post is in reply to the next post
Graeme2812 wrote:
A multinational Satellite navigation company not providing services as advertised to a portion of a UNITED Kingdom (the issue of this topic) is as a result of potential political devolution? Really? Rolling Eyes
I would suggest that you re-read what I was referring to. To save you scrolling up, here it is
Quote:
Ignoring TomTom for the purpose of this example, if I wanted to know the traffic situation before I set out on a journey from say Cardiff to Edinburgh, I would have to look at three separate websites - www.traffic-wales.com, www.highways.gov.uk, and trafficscotland.org. Why has this ridiculous situation been allowed to develop?

Graeme2812 wrote:
Their website clearly states however;

"Get the most up-to-date traffic information available for your route, live on your TomTom LIVE device with TomTom High Definition Traffic.

You receive detailed incident reports about the length and reason of the delays, the most accurate delay information, travel- and arrival times, and alternative route proposals. All this information is sent directly to your TomTom navigation system."
But it does not appear to say that it covers the whole of the UK Rolling Eyes So why would you assume that it does?
Graeme2812 wrote:
The Trade Descriptions Act 1968 requires retailers, amongst other requirements, to ensure that products sold must be as described."As described" refers to any advert or verbal description made by the trader, TomTom in this case.?
So it does Very Happy
Graeme2812 wrote:
It appears in this case that they do not source data from anything other than floating traffic data for Scotland & Wales. (Google Maps offers that for free) As none is evident these days.

They did offer this information not so long ago. Why have they stopped?
So that they would not be in breach of the Trade descriptions act Rolling Eyes

How the heck has my reply to the next post got before it. Am I psychic? I have noticed that my crystal ball has been quite clear of late, but my Tardis is completely knackered

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 2 of 5

Jump to: