Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Which one to buy? Hellllllppppppp!
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Which one to buy? Hellllllppppppp!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Beginners GPS Lounge
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Soop1958
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Sep 11, 2011 12:15 pm    Post subject: Which one to buy? Hellllllppppppp! Reply with quote

I need a new sat nav.........i have a garmin nuvi at the moment but the maps are old......tried updating them but it is going to cost me 49.99!........so if I was to pay this for one new map then when it runs out it will cost me another 49.99!...ad infinitum........outrageous. Anyhow, does anyone know if the tomtom maps are cheaper to update? Also I have been looking at a Mio Spirit 689.........has anyone had any experience of these? Thanking you.
Bouncing
MaFt
Pocket GPS Staff
Pocket GPS Staff

PostPosted: Sun Sep 11, 2011 2:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

garmin do lifetime maps where you pay about £90 and you get map updates for the life of your device.

also, stay away from the mio... see my review here: http://www.pocketgpsworld.com/mio-spirit-687-review-92rX5.php

MaFt
CaptainDrift
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Nov 11, 2011 10:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Navman Tourer Life, Exactly the same as the 689 but lifetime maps, at no extra cost. for better than the Garmin.
Also can have Truck mode, but has the built in TMC, Camera subscription etc so all the features that drew you to the Spirit 689.
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Nov 11, 2011 1:05 pm    Post subject: Re: Which one to buy? Hellllllppppppp! Reply with quote

Soop1958 wrote:
if I was to pay this for one new map then when it runs out it will cost me another 49.99!...ad infinitum........outrageous. Anyhow, does anyone know if the tomtom maps are cheaper to update?

Unless you can get onto a suscription or life-time updates deal, then maps are always around this price for any major sat-nav brand.

But the answer is to not to get onto the "it must always be up-to date" bandwagon. The differences between each are usually fairly un-noticeable (unless there's somthing major changed in YOUR area), so if they produce 4 new maps a year, just buy one.
portman
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Nov 13, 2011 12:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have you seen the new Garmin 30 40 and 50 models? The Nuvi 30 is £60 instore at Asda and the Nuvi 40 is a little more at Tesco using the code on the link below.

http://www.satnav-discounts.co.uk/tomtom-go/nuvi-30-40-50.htm#prices
glidingdoc
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Dec 07, 2011 9:34 am    Post subject: Not Garmin Reply with quote

Can I advise you to stay away from Garmin.

I purchased to Garmin Nuvi's last year and took advantage of the one-off free update. Despite this, the maps are still horribly out of date. The Nuvi instructs us to turn left on a motorway; it takes one to garages that closed years ago; believes the cinema is in the middle of the park; can't even find a hospital that has been around for years.

The problem with the out-of-date maps is compounded by the route calculator engine. This is the bit of the system that determines the best route between where you are and where you want to go to. Navigating from Worcester to Dundee produces interesting results with very scenic routes through minor roads in Scotland. The return journey takes the much faster and practical route along dual carriage ways and motorways ad knocks three hours off the journey time.

Garmin may be brilliant in the US, but it is really useless in the UK. I can't advise you which GPS to buy as I am studying the problem myself, but, for the UK and Europe, avoid Garmin.
MaFt
Pocket GPS Staff
Pocket GPS Staff

PostPosted: Wed Dec 07, 2011 10:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

See, I completely disagree! I find the Navteq maps (used by Garmin) are better in my area than TomTom maps (formerly TeleAtlas). The POIs you mention are, sadly, shockingly bad from both suppliers which is why there are a plethora of sites, like ours, that offer free POI files that are far more accurate and can be updated without having to buy new maps.

MaFt

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Beginners GPS Lounge All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: