Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Help re Nuvi - show maps and cams without route set?
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Help re Nuvi - show maps and cams without route set?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Garmin Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Rebnats
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Dec 02, 2011 12:46 pm    Post subject: Help re Nuvi - show maps and cams without route set? Reply with quote

Hi, Sorry if this is a stupid question: Can Nuvi be turned on/operated in car just to show maps on screen with speed cameras etc as you drive along, without having to give it a route or destination so voice/sound kicks in.

Cheers.
PhilHornby
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Dec 02, 2011 1:49 pm    Post subject: Along the road alerts. Reply with quote

Yes, but with a caveat:

Normal Speed/Proximity alerts are measured along-the-road, rather than as a radius. If you're not on a route, the nüvi would have to do lots of calculations to find out where you are distance-wise by-road, with regard to the surrounding alerts. So it doesn't Laughing - it just looks down the road you are on.

So (as an extreme example), you could set a 5 mile alert for a camera that is on a road that joins the M1. If your calculated route takes you past that camera, you would get an alert when 5 miles away. But with no route set, the alert would trigger when you left the M1 and joined the actual road containing the camera.

I first noticed this, when accelerating hard out of a T junction to join a busy A road. A camera alert went off as I straightened the wheel, which was a shock to the system, to say the least. I'd not noticed the camera 50yds down the road - and neither had the Nüvi...

Last edited by PhilHornby on Mon Dec 05, 2011 4:40 pm; edited 1 time in total
dales
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Dec 02, 2011 2:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So I tend to set a route, but with the direction instructions turned off - like this.

Dales.
Rebnats
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Dec 02, 2011 9:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Guys, Much appreciated.
willton
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 04, 2011 12:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

but you can also simply have the speed cam alerts without setting a route - what dales does is (i think) so that he doesnt have to listen to the constant bleating of instructions when following a route, but does want to hear cam alerts.

the nuvi will show the speed cams on the move but only the ones you are alerted to as they occur, and as long as you have proximity alerts set.
Kremmen
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Mon Dec 05, 2011 7:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My 2200 is never used for navigation so I never set a route (I have a very good built in system for that).

I'm therefore using the 2200 just for the camera warnings.

Without a route set I am receiving all the camera alerts on what must be a radius system because if I pass a crossroad with a camera on it I still get the warning.

When I used the Garmin's default 36 seconds radius I was getting warnings all over the shop.
Originally I got told I was in a 50mph specs zone when I was passing the M3 on the M25. Once I developed my own GPX converter and reduced the radius from 36 seconds to 12 seconds it disappeared. Smile
Viofo A119 V3
Car Average MPG :
PhilHornby
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Dec 05, 2011 4:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kremmen wrote:
Without a route set I am receiving all the camera alerts on what must be a radius system because if I pass a crossroad with a camera on it I still get the warning.

It could just be 'snapping' to the other road momentarily - which would give the same effect. However, it's a plausible theory, so I had a go at proving it:

I set up a Proximity Alert with an alert distance of 1000'. Mapsource draws a circle around the alert, with a radius of 1000', which I used to place waypoints on most of the roads it crossed. The alert was used to build a Custom POI GPI file and the rest of the waypoints transferred to the unit as Favourites, just so I could see where I was in relation to the proximity 'circle' (if it existed).

After much to-ing and fro-ing, I decided that there was no compelling evidence for a radius-based system being in operation. The alert triggered when I entered the road containing the alert. (However, I should come clean and admit that I did get one un-explained alert - it didn't do it on the second lap!. During the test, the map display was quite laggy, possibly due to the weather, which could have contributed.

Of course, it is entirely possible that Garmin have implemented this differently in different units...

Key: Red circle = point where alert set.
Red Stars = point where alert triggered (depending on approach direction)
'Anchors' = points where alerts might be expected to trigger (and didn't)
Blue Question Unexpected/unexplained alert.

Last edited by PhilHornby on Mon Dec 05, 2011 7:07 pm; edited 1 time in total
M8TJT
The Other Tired Old Man
The Other Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Mon Dec 05, 2011 5:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shouldn't it have alerted travelling northbound on Tatton rd N at the point Alert Sound 4 and eastbound on the extension of Elms Rd. at Point 2? Otherwise what's the point of using a 1000' warning if it does not alert at 1000' when your'e on the right road? (I am assuming that the large red circle is a 1000' radius)
PhilHornby
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Dec 05, 2011 7:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

M8TJT wrote:
Otherwise what's the point of using a 1000' warning if it does not alert at 1000' when your'e on the right road?

Ah - what you can't see from that picture, is that Tatton Rd North becomes Tatton Rd South - so as far as the map's concerned, they're two unrelated roads. I would agree about "Elms Road" though.
(I didn't actually drive every possible approach Laughing ).
PhilHornby
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Dec 05, 2011 7:47 pm    Post subject: A more succinct example Reply with quote

If you extend my original map down slightly, it includes one of the cameras in the Pocketgpsworld database - #83084 [South Facing gatso @ 30mph.]

I have a 15 second alert set for such a camera (using ASH10's Camera Manager), which equates to a distance of 675'.

The image below shows part of my journey in blue. The heavy red circle is the location of the camera, and the lighter red circle is the imaginary 675' radius around the camera. The alert actually triggered where the red star is shown. (I'd actually been stationary inside the 'circle' for quite a while).

Last edited by PhilHornby on Wed Dec 07, 2011 4:09 pm; edited 2 times in total
M8TJT
The Other Tired Old Man
The Other Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Mon Dec 05, 2011 8:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

PhilHornby wrote:
I would agree about "Elms Road" though.
But does not Elms Road become something else as you go west along it at your alert marker, substansiating your 'on the road' theory? (I can't read the road name as it's under your Alert comment #2)
PhilHornby
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Dec 05, 2011 11:53 pm    Post subject: Same road... Reply with quote

M8TJT wrote:
But does not Elms Road become something else as you go west along it at your alert marker...

No, that one keeps the same name, all the way along.

Last edited by PhilHornby on Tue Dec 06, 2011 5:08 pm; edited 1 time in total
PhilHornby
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Dec 06, 2011 5:07 pm    Post subject: Update Reply with quote

M8TJT wrote:
Shouldn't it have alerted travelling northbound on Tatton rd N at the point Alert Sound 4

To which I wrote:

Ah - what you can't see from that picture, is that Tatton Rd North becomes Tatton Rd South - so as far as the map's concerned, they're two unrelated roads.

I went for a drive, and the alert does sound at "Alert Should Sound 4". So it appears that the Nüvi's definition of 'the road you're on' is not limited to the raw data in the map (because they are two different entities, as far as the map is concerned). Thinking about it, you sometimes see another aspect of this: when you're on a road that does a very sharp turn, and the Nüvi gives a turn instruction ... even though you're just following the road.

I repeated the drive exercise with a more modern unit - I tried a Nüvi 1300, rather than my trusty Nüvi 760. Though the display was updated with more fluidity, and was much closer to reality, the alerts behaved in exactly the same way.

I also tried converting the Alert to a "Tour Guide", just to confirm what I'd found when I tried this previously. As expected, the alert did now behave as a radius-based alert.

»
Kremmen
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Thu Dec 08, 2011 7:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There is obviously some AI in there because it doesn't alert you to a camera you've passed even though it's still within the range.

I can't comment on it's AI when on a route because I've never planned one but it certainly warns of cameras within proximity on intersecting roads for me (no route planned).

As I said, when I used the default CSV 36 seconds it was quite noticeable how many cameras on other roads I was being alerted to. Dropping this to 12 seconds has killed off over 95% of them.
Viofo A119 V3
Car Average MPG :

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Garmin Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: