Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - TomTom GO 4.40 New Software has been released
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

TomTom GO 4.40 New Software has been released
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 11, 12, 13  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
imapbox
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Aug 22, 2004 9:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dave wrote:
The only changes we're aware of in the new version are POI's. There maybe some bug fixes also, but we're not aware specifically of any bugs fixed.

I agree, keyboard should be qwerty rather than an abcd keyboard. Regarding hardware, TomTom like other companies e.g. Navman try to keep the lids on what hardware are contained within. We know that the screen is a Pocket PC style screen, but the guts are more Palm/Pocket PC based running under a hybrid Linux.

ok, well at least it's what they already announced, the POIs. good news. regarding the fixes, they don't really tell but maybe someday we'll get a grip on that.

if I get answers for the used linux source(s) (it's GPL so they have to give it if I ask) we might know more. else, I have to open it one day and see for myself.

somewhere I have been reading about the GPS chipstiff, some sirf2 thing.

as said before, if we know some more, there could be some interesting experiments...
Wink
Cherz
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Aug 23, 2004 12:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Any indications whetever the new fixes would include a wider SD card compatibility?

Cherz
imapbox
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Aug 23, 2004 2:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cherz wrote:
Any indications whetever the new fixes would include a wider SD card compatibility?

Cherz

que ? what are the problems ?
Cherz
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Aug 24, 2004 12:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You might like to know that TomTom Go doesn't work on some SD card, which to my knowledge in fact comply 100% with the SD standard. TTG works fine as a card reader, it formats fine, it installs maps and the application fine, but it doesn't run its program... Go figure...

You could check this thread, started by me...

The essence in the thread is this post:

Quote:
Hi Cherz

Yes, I do have a clue but you won't like it! I've done exactly the same, using a brand new PNY 512MB card, and got exactly the same response. A mate's Kingston card worked perfectly. After over a week of faffing around with Tomtom support , they eventually admitted that there is a compatibility issue with some SD cards. Basically some cards (and you can't go by brand name, size or country of manufacture) simply won't work. They refer to http://sdprob.aximsite.com/theproblemlist.htm.

There's a thread about this at http://www.globalpositioningsystems.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?p=7384, and a French forum at http://www.gpspassion.com/forumsen/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=12775
Dave
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Aug 24, 2004 7:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

AFAIK TomTom GO IS LOCKED to the SD card serial number that comes on the supplied SD card. European maps maybe different if you are only buying this on CD, but the original maps AFAIK are stil locked to the included SD card, hence why it won't work when installing/copying to a new SD card.
Cherz
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Aug 24, 2004 8:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dave wrote:
AFAIK TomTom GO IS LOCKED to the SD card serial number that comes on the supplied SD card. European maps maybe different if you are only buying this on CD, but the original maps AFAIK are stil locked to the included SD card, hence why it won't work when installing/copying to a new SD card.

I've never tried to copy the orginal maps from the included SD card to the other card, that would in deed be a waste since I've already have them on the original card...

The problem is the European maps, 4 CDs, that I would like to use on a bigger SD card. TomTom claims that the TTG is compatible with SD card up to 4 GB, why on earrth should they claim that since they have no "included" card that are bigger than 512MB...'

I bought a SD card that didn't work... Others have succesfully used other brands of SD cards, so I believe this is a design fault from TomTom.

Cherz
mike67
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Aug 24, 2004 8:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I too have had problems with a new SD card (TomTom Support have so far ignored my support question about this).

I have a spare 128MB card that I put Europe maps on with no problem BUT I then went and bought a 256MB card so I could have both UK and Europe maps on.

On installation from CD it failed to install to the new SD card with various errors from Can not read from CD-ROM drive to completely crashing the computer. I tried reformatting the SD card and then after a couple more attempts it loaded onto the SD card. Once I finally got it onto the card and registered the maps on TomTom’s site I then discovered that Favourites and Home options were greyed out and I could not save any. The only way I found to get over this was to get a GPS signal and then it would let me save that position and then I could save favourites and Home positions.

Seems very temperamental with new SD cards ! Sad
mike67
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Aug 24, 2004 8:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

On another note

After I registered on TomTom’s site I put in a notification request about next Software upgrade for POI’s and noticed that they have set an expiry date of 1st of September for this notification.

Perhaps this implies the update will be out by then ! :D
laurie0236
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Aug 24, 2004 9:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I also bought Tom Tom Go a few weeks ago and the notification date my message was 21st Aug, which is of course is now past. I guess it is a standard message put out to let you know that an update will be out before
the end of Summer.

Laurie
Skelmersdale
imapbox
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Aug 24, 2004 10:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dave wrote:

it's NOT lockied. I have boyght a bigger card, copied the old stuff under linux from the original card, placed on the new card. works as advertised.

it's a sandisk card.
delboy0754
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Aug 24, 2004 11:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

imapbox wrote:
Dave wrote:

it's NOT lockied. I have boyght a bigger card, copied the old stuff under linux from the original card, placed on the new card. works as advertised.

it's a sandisk card.

I also agree, it's not locked to the sd card.

I bought a Lexar 256Mbx32 card, and followed instructions to transfer maps, activated card from internet and it works perfectly.
Dave
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Aug 24, 2004 12:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

imapbox wrote:

it's a sandisk card.

And this worked with the original card ? Interesting! I know the intention was to lock the map data to the card like the Palm version has, but maybe TomTom chose not to just before they went to production.
imapbox
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Aug 24, 2004 1:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dave wrote:
imapbox wrote:

it's a sandisk card.

And this worked with the original card ? Interesting! I know the intention was to lock the map data to the card like the Palm version has, but maybe TomTom chose not to just before they went to production.

well, basically I mounted the USB device under linux, copied all data to a directory. Pushed in a new card (256 Mbytes, off the shelf, not tom-tom specific), wrote back the data and there it goes. if there really is interest, I can give you the exact type of the card. the 'old' card is given to my parents, after I wrote the major roads on it, including a system, also based on the initial copy of the TTGO flash.
tomtomgo
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Aug 24, 2004 9:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bought a 256 Kingston card put the whole thing onto it went through the registration and it works just fine, sometimes i use the original 128mb one supplied by TomTom, then sometimes i use the big card if i need the major routes of Europe.
imapbox
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Aug 24, 2004 9:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

tomtomgo wrote:
Bought a 256 Kingston card put the whole thing onto it went through the registration and it works just fine, sometimes i use the original 128mb one supplied by TomTom, then sometimes i use the big card if i need the major routes of Europe.

I didn't even went thru registration. I just copied the original card and added manually the major roads of europe to it, straight from CD. No activation was necessary....

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 11, 12, 13  Next
Page 3 of 13

Jump to: