Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - HD Traffic quality
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

HD Traffic quality
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
matthewj
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Nov 14, 2011 8:28 pm    Post subject: HD Traffic quality Reply with quote

The HD traffic issue has set me looking at what alternatives there are. Nothing is as good as HD Traffic right?

Well, in another thread about navigation on the iPhone someone said that an app used Inrix data. Well, I've been monitoring it a bit, and it isn't bad, but it is also not perfect. But neither is HD Traffic. Right now, there is a motorway closure on the M6, and HD Traffic has this, but the effect on Kendal is not shown at all. Inrix has the main info too.

But the best available data is Google maps. It is very detailed, it is reasonably up to date, and I want it! Anyone know where they are getting their data from? And anyone know how I can use it for navigating on the iPhone, or a PND? I guess I could even just buy an Android phone if it is using the same data and use that as PND!
robbooth
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 15, 2011 9:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree, I know people have been arguing about the range* of HD traffic which is fair enough but I too have thought that the quality has been on a steady decline. When it was first released the traffic quality was great but now I quite often drive along motorways at 70mph that are showing hold ups or arrive at the tail of a jam that doesn't show up - I know there's the update time between receiving traffic data but it doesn't account for the discrepancy of what's actually happening. I would have thought with more people using live devices the data quality would have got better, not worse.

*My solution to the range issue - new nav core issue where the device only downloads the amount of data relevant to the distance of the journey planned.
If I'm only going 15 miles I don't need 100miles worth of data but if I'm going 250miles I want the data to cover the whole journey.
sixhundred
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Nov 15, 2011 3:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I find HD traffic incredibly accurate. I've lost count of the times I approach an indicated jam to find it exactly in the right place, within 10 metres. It never ceases to amaze me. It's also incredibly accurate for small jams in towns and villages. It might only be a few cars and 2 minute delay but it still shows up. That's impressive.

Having said this I suspect the quality of the information depends on the data. In areas of high traffic use where data is more available then accuracy will be better. For more rural areas I suspect it may be less. This will also change over time depending on where the devices feeding information are.

Where HD Traffic does struggle is with rapidly changing situations. I notice this on the M3 during rush hour. It does indicate jams just not quite in the right place. However the overall picture is generally correct.

A issue which people do have is the distance horizon. Up to now I haven't worried about this on the basis by the time I get within 50 miles the situation will change. However this morning the issue on the M3/M25 junction, which is 90 miles from journey start, caused such a huge snarl up that I would have gone a complete different way. Would be nice to choose the distance horizon and hence amount of downloaded data. It's a minor niggle and doesn't cause me huge stress.

Notwithstanding I think the £50 fee is outstanding value and HD traffic is superb.
M8TJT
The Other Tired Old Man
The Other Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Tue Nov 15, 2011 5:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sixhundred wrote:
However this morning the issue on the M3/M25 junction, which is 90 miles from journey start, caused such a huge snarl up that I would have gone a complete different way.
That is exactly the reason why people are complaining.
JimmyTheHand
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Nov 15, 2011 8:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

robbooth wrote:
I know there's the update time between receiving traffic data but it doesn't account for the discrepancy of what's actually happening.

I think there will also be data collection and processing time from the servers and the way queues build up, it will take a few minutes to detect the queue in the data and it to trip the threshold - I could see it taking several updates after queue started to be reported on HD trafic
matthewj
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Nov 23, 2011 1:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had another case of Google maps being far better on traffic info yesterday. The local paper reported a crash and road closure on a relatively minor road. I checked Inrix, TTHD and Google maps. Inrix only covers the main roads anyway, so didn't even have this road covered. TTHD had no issues shown within many miles. Google maps had the road quite red with spots of yellow. Not sure how they are doing it, but I really want that data source on my navigation device. TTHD is brilliant on the motorway, but I'll switch anytime I can use the same source as Google use.

Anyone know how to find out their traffic data source? From what I can see, they use Traffic England, but so do TomTom, so there must be other sources.
IanS100
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Nov 23, 2011 2:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I thought TTHDT used mobile phone movement info or have I got the wrong end of the stick?
matthewj
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Nov 23, 2011 2:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TTHDT uses mainly mobile phone movement, but also other sources like Traffic England (mainly for road closures I suspect). I think they use some of the lorry fleets too which have smart kit in them.

My main thought was that perhaps the TomTom feed was what Google maps were using too, just without saying. But the fact that TomTom didn't have the information perhaps disproves that. On the other hand, the conspiracy theory you could make is that TTHD has the details, but having all those minor roads detailed would cause too much data on the system and break it (which was the reason given for reducing the range). So perhaps they only sell it to others like the lorry operators, and Google? Either way the domestic motorist doesn't have the information that is on Google maps.

I must dig out my test Android phone and see if it has navigation!
robbooth
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 25, 2011 7:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry it's taken so long but it's taken an age to find a screen shot program for the phone!!

Yes, you can get navigation on Android:

Google Navigation

I don't *think* it'll reroute around traffic though - maybe that'll be the next version once they move out of the beta testing stage.

Has some pretty funky features, the one I like most is the option to compare different routes:

TomTom route planner gave Manchester to Heathrow as 209 miles and 3hr26min using the M40 option - I think I'd believe the google figure more!!
IanS100
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Nov 26, 2011 11:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's a shame TT don't offer to 'compare different routes' not least because the TT does at times offer quite bizaar routes and without going into the 'Details' of the route I don't know. I will be giving Android / Google or maybe Bosch serious consideration before I buy another TomTom
DennisN
Tired Old Man
Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Sat Nov 26, 2011 5:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

matthewj wrote:
I had another case of Google maps being far better on traffic info yesterday. The local paper reported a crash and road closure on a relatively minor road.

Wow! My local paper doesn't get delivered early enough to tell me about crashes. Laughing

If it tastes good - it's fattening.

Two of them are obesiting!!
matthewj
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Nov 29, 2011 11:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

DennisN wrote:
matthewj wrote:
I had another case of Google maps being far better on traffic info yesterday. The local paper reported a crash and road closure on a relatively minor road.

Wow! My local paper doesn't get delivered early enough to tell me about crashes. Laughing

Laughing

Okay, the web site of the local paper if one must be accurate. But traffic incidents do get reported quickly, and it affords an opportunity to review the info out there.

As for Android, I realised my device doesn't have GPS, so that won't help a lot. But useful to know it is reported, but not live yet. Ah well. The key though is that the info exists, it just needs someone to make a PND with it.
Antoeknee
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 29, 2011 12:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just checked a route near to me that includes a road thats been closed for 3-4 months due to works.

Routing on Google sends you along that road.
Froggy
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2011 4:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No mention of the road closure at the Rest and be Thankful - a 26 mile detour...

When is Tomtom going to provide this kind of data for Scotland?
robbooth
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 03, 2011 12:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Coming back from London this evening and travelling up the M6 and the overhead signs were telling me J19 was closed but TT reported nothing and was trying to route me off there Mad

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: