Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Which Nuvi to get?
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Which Nuvi to get?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Garmin Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
boblister
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Fri Nov 18, 2011 11:15 pm    Post subject: Which Nuvi to get? Reply with quote

I have used TomTom in the car for quite a few years the last model being the 740 which is getting a bit dated now. Garmin seem to have improved their car systems since I first looked at them so I am looking at one as a replacement for the TomTom. Garmin seem to have so many models its a bit confusing. I think I have narrowed down the best of the bunch as the 3790, 2460 and the 1695. I have seen MaFt's review on the 3790 and Darrens review on the 2360 which is similar to the 2460. But I am looking for other comments and opinions. I don't need portable use as I have a Garmin Montana. I know I could use the Montana in the car, but I don't think the auto mode on the Montana has all the features of a top end dedicated auto satnav. At the moment it looks like the 2460 is a more modern device and seems to have a few more features that the 3790 doesn't have. I know it hasn't got portrait mode like the 3790, but not sure I would like portrait anyway. Another comment I seem to have seen is the 2460 is very slow processor wise compared to the 3790. Any comments and opinions would be much appreciated.
glidingdoc
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Dec 07, 2011 9:03 am    Post subject: Don't Touch Garmin Reply with quote

I have two Garmin Nuvi's and they are a disaster. The maps are so old/out of date and I only bought them last year. I used the free, one-off, map update facility but even so, it has taken me to some strange places, garages which no longer exist, cinemas that supposedly exist in parks, and advise me to turn left on a motorway.

The second problem with the Garmin Nuvi is the route calculator. Going from Worcester to Dundee it takes me though the less travelled minor roads of scotland. On the return, however, it uses the more sensible routes of dual carriageways and motorways. Even driving to and from Edinburgh produces some interesting routes down narrow lanes! The journey ther took my wife 3 hours! The return just an hour and a half.

Maybe Garmin is better suited to America but I wouldn't recommend it for the UK and Europe.
sussamb
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Wed Dec 07, 2011 2:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

How strange ... I have 2 nuvis, a 1310 and a 1490, and both give excellent routing. I'd check your avoidances to make sure nothing weird is selected.

As for POIs, I'm afraid they are always 'touch and go' and there isn't a satnav manufacturer that manages to keep them up to date, after all most quote something like 6 million POIs. I doubt if any map is any more accurate Wink

Your satnav is a guide, just like a map, and you do need to apply some common sense at times Smile
boblister
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Wed Dec 07, 2011 2:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was mainly after opinions on the 3790 vs 2460 as there is a lot of different views on the both of them when I Googled around. I know the routing here in the UK is good as I have a Zumo 660 on a motorbike and a Montana 650 with an automobile mode and both have worked well for basic road navigation. Because I have other Garmins that all integrate together via Basecamp, the TomTom in the car is the odd one out. Hence I am looking at the Garmin options for a dedicated car satnav. Since my original post I notice that there are some new 2012 models that have been announced with what appears to be a third generation routing system. I will probably wait for them and see what they are like after release.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Garmin Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: