Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - How to get bigger POI icons on 3760 ?
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

How to get bigger POI icons on 3760 ?
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Garmin Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
willton
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 06, 2011 11:22 am    Post subject: How to get bigger POI icons on 3760 ? Reply with quote

I am finding it difficult to see POI icons on the 3760 - specifically for the PGPSW cams - while driving along. I dont know if this is the same for all Nuvi models, or TomToms etc. I do know it is an issue for CoPilot9 Android.

Here is a pic of my trusty old ASUS MyPal proudly displaying camera icons all over Docklands on Destinator 6, which makes them easy to identify at normal driving zoom levels of any speed, and next to it showing the tiny icons on the Nuvi at a very close zoom.

Ive tried using the 24x24 icons but it seems that they simply get shrunk to suit the POI Loader preferences.

Does anyone else find this irritating, or does anyone have a solution - even if its using a different Sat Nav. I have considered going back to my old setup but I really cant believe that sat nav users have been forced to accept this by the manufacturers, and feel that I cannot be one of a few who wants bigger icons.

sussamb
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Thu Oct 06, 2011 12:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

AFAIK there is no way to increase the displayed size of the icons Crying or Very sad
Kremmen
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Fri Oct 07, 2011 6:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I must say - those are tiny compared to my Garmin 2200 using the 22x22 icons.

Wonder why ?
Viofo A119 V3
Car Average MPG :
willton
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 07, 2011 7:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i think the problem is specific to the 37xx series - just a guess.

If so, way to ruin a decent device. Im very surprised this didn't come up in the glowing reviews of it!!

I spent all day yesterday reading up on Garmin forums and GPSPASSION forums, and there seems to be no way to change them. It has been mentioned quite a few times. It seems that Garmin feel that we dont want our screens cluttered so they have taken this decision for us, without giving the option to configure it ourselves. The icons are also only viewable at about 200ft zoom, which is worse than other models. Singapore firmware allows more options.

Ive raised a query with Garmin, but dont expect any resolution for it.
willton
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 07, 2011 3:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i wonder if the 2460 or which ever it is with the bigger 5" screen has the same issue
willton
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 09, 2011 5:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ok so when the alert sounds just the camera icon for that particular alerted camera will show up ahead on reasonable zoom levels and then disappear once youve gone past it, which makes sense. But the icon is still tiny, although slightly easier to see on 3D view rather than track up.

the 1490 with the 5" screen was the one I was interested in next - can anyone say whether the icons are easier to see on that model?
willton
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 13, 2011 3:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

From Garmin:
Thank you for contacting Garmin Europe.

Unfortunately it is not possible to change the size of the POIs' on the map screen. The closer you are zoomed in the more you will see and vice versa. I am sorry if this has caused any inconvenience.

Last edited by willton on Thu Oct 13, 2011 3:26 pm; edited 1 time in total
willton
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 13, 2011 3:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dear Garmin Europe

Thankyou for your reply

Can you clarify if the CUSTOM POI icon size has altered for the 37xx series – some users of other products e.g 2200 225W say that their CUSTOM POI icons are not as small and are more easily visible.

The current CUSTOM POI icons are so small on the 37xx screen that they are difficult to see when using proximity alerts especially in track up view, and I feel that having to focus closely on the screen while driving is likely to cause an accident. Many Bulletin Board users have reported the same issue. No matter what size icons I use to import via POI Loader, they are always reduced to a fixed very tiny size on import.

Please can you provide more information for me about the changing of the sizing of the icons and the reasons for doing so, and comparisons with other models so that I can make a decision about which model to buy to replace the 3760 which is not fit for purpose.

Please note that I am using proximity alerting and importing CUSTOM POIs via POI Loader. I am not referring specifically to the standard POI icons that come with the installed maps, although these are also ridiculously small and can only be seen at 200ft or less zoom.

Ideally the Custom POI icon size and zoom level view at which they are visible would be customisable by the user, and the proximity alerting display would also be customisable.

Can you confirm if the 1490 model also has this problem.
willton
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 13, 2011 3:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you for contacting Garmin Europe.

The nuvi 2200, 2300, 2400, 3700 series units and the nuLink! 1695 will only display icons on the map for your saved Favorites and any custom Points of Interest (POI) files that you may have installed. You will need to zoom in the map to 200 feet or closer to view the custom POI icons. The preloaded points of interest (restaurants, hotels, attractions, etc.) will not be displayed on the map as icons with the previously mentioned series of units.

All other nuvi series units will display the preloaded points of interest icons on the map in addition to the saved Favorites and any custom POI files that were installed.

Note: Points of Interest will show dependant on the zoom level. The further out the zoom level, the fewer Points of Interest will show. The icons are the same size on all devices.

If there is anything else I can help you with then please let me know.
Alternatively you can search for a solution here: http://www.garmin.co.uk/support

Last edited by willton on Thu Oct 13, 2011 3:25 pm; edited 1 time in total
willton
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 13, 2011 3:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dear Garmin Europe

Thankyou for your reply. Please can you escalate this query to another support operator for response.

Can you clarify if the CUSTOM POI icon size has altered for the 37xx series ? some users of other products e.g 2200 225W say that their CUSTOM POI icons are not as small and are more easily visible. We have compared them via screenshot.

Please note that I am using PROXIMITY ALERTING and importing CUSTOM POIs via POI Loader. I am not referring specifically to the standard POI icons that come with the installed maps, although these are also ridiculously small and can only be seen at 200ft or less zoom. Does the POI Loader resize all icons on import - what size is this?

Using 3D view the Proximity alerting POIs are slightly more visible than using 2D when displayed while driving after the proximity alert has alerted. Please can you justify using such small icons for this alerting feature, can you confirm that the same problem is evident in the 1490 series.

Many thanks for your help
TerryWalsh
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Oct 14, 2011 9:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,

I think your problem may be due to the high res screen 800 x 480 on the 37xx range. I believe the older units were only 480 x 272. This would mean that a 22 x 22 icon is a little over half the physical size on the 37xx. range.

Terry Walsh
willton
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 14, 2011 9:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes i think that definitely exaggerates the problem. Although Garmin dont see it as an issue!!

It would be interesting to see a screenshot of a 1490 with 5" screen but the lower 480 x 272 res.
M8TJT
The Other Tired Old Man
The Other Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Fri Oct 14, 2011 9:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you display an icon of any given pixel size on a 800 pixel screen and compare it with the same icon displayed on an 480 pixel screen of the same size, it is fairly obvious that they will appear smaller on the higher res screen, at a size of 480/800 (0.6) times the size of when displayed on the lower res screen. Confused
Having said that, I don't think that this is the OP's problem, as the icons appear ridiculously small on his second screenshot.
willton
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 14, 2011 10:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes i do agree with that.

I would like to compare a pic of a lower res unit to see the relative difference in icon display - for example the size of the icon relative to the width of the road in each display at a set zoom level.

On a higher res everything will appear smaller than on a lower res at the same zoom.

Separately, I wonder if the proximity alert icons (the ones that show temporarily when an alert is triggered) the same size as the POI icons in both 2D and 3D, and is that the case for all nuvis.

I am tempted to buy a 255W or a 1490t to experiment with.
cornz
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 14, 2011 1:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yep, i can confirm on my fully updated 3790t the icons are tiny.
Its a massive oversight this and i would think easily addressable by Garmin.
However, i will say this, for all the Garmins short comings, it still wees all over the latest tomtom travesty range.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Garmin Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: