Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Brixly - Fast, Reliable, Secure UK Web Hosting
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - iPhone 4S
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

iPhone 4S
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Apple GPS Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
MaFt
Pocket GPS Staff
Pocket GPS Staff

PostPosted: Fri Oct 07, 2011 10:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

While this is almost off-topic (yeah, ban me, whatever Wink) I think it's worth pointing out too.

Regardless of phone specs surely the main factor that decides if a handset (whether it's powered by iOS, Android, WP7, S60 etc) is any good as a satnav is if there are satnav apps available.

The WP7 handsets I've seen appear to have decent GPS (using Bing maps as a tester) but are there any onboard navigation apps available? Nope. So is a WP7 handset any good for using for navigation? Nope. Not yet. Very Happy

As for the 'copied features' those are a feature of the operating system (iOS5 is available on iPad, iPad 2, iPhone 3GS, iPhone 4, iPhone 4S, iPod Touch (something generation...)) and not the iPhone 4S itself.

The initial query was a hardware issue - will the new hardware affect GPS, regardless of the operating system...

MaFt
Skippy
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Sun Oct 09, 2011 10:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

bmuskett wrote:
So in use 4S is mostly the same or better. I think they made the point that 3G talk time was better.

Yeah, but the difference between 7 and 8 hours talk time is a bit academic to me. I'd prefer an improved standby time but it looks like they have lost about 30% off the standby. Confused
bmuskett
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 10, 2011 8:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Skippy wrote:
Yeah, but the difference between 7 and 8 hours talk time is a bit academic to me. I'd prefer an improved standby time but it looks like they have lost about 30% off the standby. Confused

Dropping it from approximately 12 days to 8 days - is that not a bit academic also?
Skippy
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Mon Oct 10, 2011 9:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

bmuskett wrote:
Skippy wrote:

Dropping it from approximately 12 days to 8 days - is that not a bit academic also?

Yes, I must say that the 12 days they quote is quite amusing but I don't think the average iPhone fondler could leave it alone on standby for that long. Laughing

Don't look at the absolute numbers, look at the percentage. If it currently lasts X amount of time on standby then you can drop 30% off that. That's not great. Crying or Very sad
alix776
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Oct 10, 2011 10:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MaFt wrote:
While this is almost off-topic (yeah, ban me, whatever Wink) I think it's worth pointing out too.

The WP7 handsets I've seen appear to have decent GPS (using Bing maps as a tester) but are there any onboard navigation apps available? Nope. So is a WP7 handset any good for using for navigation? Nope. Not yet. Very Happy

MaFt

released by navigon today Razz Razz Razz Razz hehe just to get it totally off topic Laughing

Oh the joys of being a courier.
device Lumia 950 xl
bmuskett
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 10, 2011 10:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Skippy wrote:
bmuskett wrote:
Skippy wrote:

Yes, I must say that the 12 days they quote is quite amusing but I don't think the average iPhone fondler could leave it alone on standby for that long. Laughing

Exactly, so 12 or 8 days is academic. That's not the way iPhones are used.

Skippy wrote:
Don't look at the absolute numbers, look at the percentage. If it currently lasts X amount of time on standby then you can drop 30% off that. That's not great. Crying or Very sad

No, look at the absolute numbers. In use, it's on a par with the iPhone 4, despite the more powerful processors. If you need a phone which will sit for 8 days on standby, never mind 12, then you don't want an iPhone, that would be a waste of money.
Skippy
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Tue Oct 11, 2011 8:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

bmuskett wrote:
No, look at the absolute numbers. In use, it's on a par with the iPhone 4, despite the more powerful processors. If you need a phone which will sit for 8 days on standby, never mind 12, then you don't want an iPhone, that would be a waste of money.

OK, I'll admit it. I want one. Laughing
MaFt
Pocket GPS Staff
Pocket GPS Staff

PostPosted: Tue Oct 11, 2011 9:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

alix776 wrote:
released by navigon today Razz Razz Razz Razz hehe just to get it totally off topic Laughing

Nice Smile Good ol' Navigon first again! They were first for iPhone too which surprised a LOT of people seeing as TomTom were at the announcement where 'turn by turn apps' were finally allowed.

What price is it?

EDIT TO ADD: found it, just posting news now...

MaFt

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Apple GPS Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: