Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - igo8 sys file editing help
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

igo8 sys file editing help

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Stella76
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Sep 30, 2011 5:01 am    Post subject: igo8 sys file editing help Reply with quote

Hi, ive been using igo8 navngo on my windows moble based 02 xda zest phone for ages know and its working fine most of the time. no problem there.

I just copied from my phones sd card the igo8 folder from phone strait onto my old ipaq h3970's sd card and slid on the navman gps jacket and then ran igo 8.

seems to be working ok bar one thing! only thing is i installed the 3.1.1 gps driver cab file as per instructions and thats appears to be installed ok on pocket pc but igo 8 says the gps hardware can not be found no matter what port i use.

also when i select port 6 for some reason, the blue tooch switches itself on and i dont need blue tooth. i need just the gps jacket to work.

my question is. do i have to edit the sys file and if so what to? I changed it from my o2 xda zest to pocket_pc and still it stays gps hardware can't be found. please advise me. I need to have my old pocket pc working before saturday. so please help me with suggestions.

Thanks in advance,

Stella.
M8TJT
The Other Tired Old Man
The Other Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Fri Sep 30, 2011 8:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have you got an 'Autodetect' button on the Settings-(right arrow)-GPS menu page? If it is not enabled, deselect the 'GPS enabled' checkbox. Clickthe Auto Detect, and wait 'till the device finds the GPS receiver. Once this has completed, make a note of the port and baud rate.
Without iGO running, open sys.txt and see if there is an entry like
[gps]
Port=1
Baud=4800
Source="nmea"

If baud and port are different to what you have found, change them to your values. Start iGO, goto Settings-(rightt arrow)-GPS menu page and see if it the baud and port are now correct and the GPS Enabled is selected.
Stella76
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Sep 30, 2011 12:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Once this has completed, make a note of the port and baud rate.
Without iGO running, open sys.txt and see if there is an entry like
[gps]
Port=1
Baud=4800
Source="nmea"

Hi, in gps setting i always see gps receiver cannot be found. I did follow your instructions regarding auto detect and have the gps check box enabled. I selected each port manully and also tryed auto detect each time and waited a while to see if it reconised the receiver.

I opened the sys.txt and all that can be seen inside the txt file is as follows,

[device]
type="pocket_pc"
sdcard_dsk_num=7

Under type. should i change to windows ce device or ipaq h3970? my ipaq still runs the original os win ce as i did not upgrade to win mobile. what should i write in sys.txt? Under "type" in the sys.txt file what i should enter as device. win ce device or h3970? im working blind becuase its my first time running igo8 on this old device!
M8TJT
The Other Tired Old Man
The Other Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Fri Sep 30, 2011 3:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Stella76 wrote:
Hi, in gps setting i always see gps receiver cannot be found. I did follow your instructions regarding auto detect and have the gps check box enabled.
On mine, I have two, one on a pocketPC running Windows Mobile 2003 and the other on a Chinese PDA runing Win CE6. On both, I have to have the 'GPS Enabled' checkbox disabled before the 'Auto detect' button becomes available. When run, the auto detect should fnd the correct port and baud rate which you can then put in SYS.TXT as I mentioned previously. Do you have any other GPS enabled applications running when you are trying to do this? If you do, then there is possibly a port sharing conflict.

Stella76 wrote:
I opened the sys.txt and all that can be seen inside the txt file is as follows,

;[device]
;type="pocket_pc"
;sdcard_dsk_num=7
Under type. should i change to windows ce device or ipaq h3970? my ipaq still runs the original os win ce as i did not upgrade to win mobile. what should i write in sys.txt? Under "type" in the sys.txt file what i should enter as device. win ce device or h3970? im working blind becuase its my first time running igo8 on this old device,
Neither of my SYS.TXT files have a [Device] entry. Try putting a semicolon ';' as the first character as I have done in your quote above. This will disable the [Device] parameter. It is possible that the device parameter overrides the auto detect. I wouldn't have thought so, but it might.
Border_Collie
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Sat Oct 01, 2011 11:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Copy your sys.txt and paste it somewhere you can get it back if need be.

Delete the sys.txt file on your device and try again.

If no luck then.......

Copy the data file and paste it in, e.g. My Documents, right click and unzip then goto Config/Devices to see compatible models. I had a quick look but yours is not listed but there is a Generic file which may have worked by doing the above and deleting the sys.txt.
Stella76
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Oct 01, 2011 11:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, i had to admit defeat. i mean i installed igo8 on my old ipaq h3970 running win ce. its the same copy that i run non my windows mobile phone and that works great.

but when i installed igo8 im on the ipaq i didn't even no it would run on such an old device but it appeares to run ok except for that gps drivers i tryed.

i no for sure the the 311 driver does work as ive used it on my ipaq in years gone by. but anyway. for some reason igo8 wont reckonise the driver. but i reckon i will try an old tom tom from 2004 and i will see what happens.

when i first bought the ipaq ins it cost me £1000 and that was years ago. you can by gps's for 89 quid. unbeliverbly.Laughing Out Loud that old ipaq was brought out of attic cuase I wanted to have mounted on my scooter but im stuck with the gps drivers. so ive addapted the holders so it holds my phone running igo 8. at least my phone works.

i shall get back to this problem later but know i need a gps working on my scooter.

thanks for all your help so far.

Stella.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> NavNGo iGO All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: