Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - TT live 820 -Can I put your speed cams & voice warnings
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

TT live 820 -Can I put your speed cams & voice warnings
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
riddler
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2011 7:49 pm    Post subject: TT live 820 -Can I put your speed cams & voice warnings Reply with quote

Hi i have just purchased the above model now i know it will be on here somewhere but can i put the gpsworld speed cameras and voice warnings on to the device i have my tomtom on my computer.I have tried the method listed on here but it says the ogg files are not compatable with my device,anyone help if i have to put up with tomtom,s cameras and beep i,ll take it back,thanks in advance.
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Jul 21, 2011 11:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Where does it say the ogg files are not compatible with the 820 please? I don't think that's true, but it maybe that some instructions or pages are out of date...

Can you also give a link to the instructions you were following?

We are considering moving and updating the instructions, so any pointers you can give to any inaccuracies will be useful.

Anyway, here's some tips that might help...

Firstly, you use the new MyTomTom PC software (not Home).
Then, assuming the 820 works the same as the 1000 series models, you connect the device first, then select "Add community content" in the MyTomTom pop-up box.

That will open a new BROWSER window, with sections for"Add POIs", Add Voices" etc.

If you use the method where you leave all the voice warnings with the same name as the camera data files (**see below), you then upload ALL the .ov2, .bmp and .ogg files using "Add POI" (it's not obvious, but you can select multiple files to upload at once).

The selection of the voice warnings is then automatic during the "warn when near" setup on the machine itself, you just have to answer "yes" when asked if this is the sound you want to hear (even though you've not heard it) just like on previous models.

-----------------------------------
** Alternatively, you can add them using the "Add sounds" section, and then assign them like any other sound effect, but in that case you would probably want to shorten the voice warning filenames first, so they are more easily read on screen.
riddler
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Jul 21, 2011 1:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It says it on the my Tomtom it will accept the ova files but the ogg files it says are incompatible with this device.thanks for your reply by the way.
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Jul 21, 2011 5:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can you try some experiments?

So you get to this screen....

and if you select "Add POI" you can select an .ov2 file or a .bmp icon file and it accepts them, but not if you select an .ogg file? (as you can see from the picture, you can add .ogg files to a Go1000 like this).

What happens if you go to the section lower down for "Add warning sounds" (or just "Add sounds") and try adding an .ogg file there?
riddler
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Jul 21, 2011 7:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi i have the top section but not the bottom section,i have captured a jpg image of the screen but don,t know how to put it on here.The exact phrase is"the poi set you are trying to install cannot be used with your device check that you have the correct file pocketgps_uk_gatso_30.ogg"It also says on the device this service is temporarily unavailable.
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Jul 21, 2011 11:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

riddler wrote:
i have captured a jpg image of the screen but don,t know how to put it on here.

You need to upload the screen image to somewhere like Photobucket.com and then you can post a link to it in a post here using the "img" button above the window to put [ img ] and [ /img ] codes around the link.

Actually, if you use Photobucket and hover your mouse over the picture, it gives you the link to it in several formats and the [ img ] one is at the bottom, so you can just copy and paste that complete link.

------------------------------------------------

riddler wrote:
i have the top section but not the bottom section

When they first got this working you could only do POIs and they added the voices, car cursors, images and sounds uploads later. Might you have a slightly out of date copy of MyTomTom? It should be v3.0.2.377.

Maybe I'm wrong and the 820 *can't* do everything the other models can, but if it is, your case is the first I've heard of...

Does anyone else out there have a Go820 who could try this?

Last edited by Andy_P on Sat Jul 23, 2011 1:13 pm; edited 1 time in total
riddler
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Jul 22, 2011 9:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi i,ve now found out after messing with this model that it converts text to speech so you can have spoken warnings gor the gpsworld cameras,it,s the same voice that reads out the directions but beggars can,t be choosers.
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Jul 22, 2011 10:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Did you try my suggestion of trying the section lower down for "Add warning sounds" (or just "Add sounds")? what happened then?

Are there no other 820 owners here, who can check on theirs????

Last edited by Andy_P on Sat Jul 23, 2011 1:14 pm; edited 1 time in total
riddler
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Jul 23, 2011 5:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don,t know what you mean add sounds where do I find that!
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Jul 23, 2011 1:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ahh, OK, forget that... I'd forgotten you said previously

riddler wrote:
Hi i have the top section but not the bottom section

What you SHOULD be seeing is a whole bunch of sections like the picure I showed, starting with "Add POI", followed by "Add voice", "Add Image", "Add Sound" etc.

So what we need to work out is why you are not seeing those.

Either you have the wrong version of MyTomTom - I mentioned earlier that the latest is v3.0.2.377 - Please tell us what yours is.....

Or, the Go825 cannot add those features and MyTomTom is simply not showing you things you cannot use. To confirm that, we need someone else with an 820 to check and tell us what they have access to.

NOTE TO OTHER OWNERS: In previous posts, I KEPT MISTAKENLY CALLING IT A GO825 (now corrected)... I'm looking for GO820 owners, please.
kirkie
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Sep 04, 2011 10:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have just got this device and having an issue on where to even start to get the POI and Camera's on.

When I plug in the Device My TomTom is just a web page.
dhn
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Sep 04, 2011 12:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

When you plug the unit into the computer, an extra menu item appears in the desktop MyTomTom icon (in the notification area of the desktop). Says 'Add Community Content'. It's that choice, when selected, that should lead to a screen where the option to add poi's is shown.

You select custom poi's (ov2 files) and related .bmp files from your computer to add to your unit from there. While some browsers (such as IE) only allow selecting one file at a time, others such as Chrome or FireFox allow for multiple selections at a time.
kirkie
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Sep 04, 2011 3:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cheers
kirkie
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Sep 04, 2011 4:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

POI downloaded, but is it not possible to have them in a category as on Community Content it is quite a long list.
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Sep 04, 2011 8:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not sure what you mean....

Each camera type *IS* a category of POI.

Or did you mean "can all the files be put into a folder before adding them"?

If that's what you mean - No.
All the POI files have to go into the map folder (that's effectively what MyTT is doing) and NOT in any sub-folders.

In that reapect, it's the same as it's always been when we copied the files manually on older models.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: