Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - 940 Reboots on anything to do with "City"
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

940 Reboots on anything to do with "City"
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
robbooth
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 13, 2011 10:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I really could stab this unit with a large screwdriver sometimes.....Evil or Very Mad

Now no voices - they're all there, they just don't work! - had to switch 'Homer' on when it decided to direct me off the M6 and through Walsall to avoid the jams on the M6.

Tomorrow, when I'm calmer, I will use home to remove the voices and reinstall them - fingers crossed that should get it working again; I won't be holding my breath though!
robbooth
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 14, 2011 2:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tried uninstalling voices and reinstalling but that didn't work, then tried a reset factory settings which made things even worse - no voices at all - even Homer woudn't speak to me!!

Have rolled back to a backup I had late last year and now I have sound back both from the computer generated and recorded voices.

I like the HD traffic on the 940 for the amount of time on the roads it saves me, but the amount of time wasted trying to keep the thing going is beyond a joke.
box2k2
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Feb 20, 2011 8:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've seen a similar problem to the original poster (crashing on route by city etc). Mostly when swapping/changing versions of Navcore and/or maps.

It appears to be a problem with the Mapsettings.cfg

Forcing it to be rewritten by running the unit through Home-Use my Device, usually sorts it out.
zardoz
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 27, 2011 10:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Did anyone actually find the cure for the crash when referencing "CITY" information in searches?

My 950 Live has been doing this for a while and I suspected corruption but have not managed to isolate it.

Running latest navcore and latest maps.

Z.
JockTamsonsBairn
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 27, 2011 11:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had this problem after a previous map update, but I don't use the City option much. After the recent map update, I had to remove my MapSettings.cfg and the problem has gone.

TomTom Go 940 LIVE (9.510, Europe v915.5074 on SD & 8.371, WCE v875.3613 on board)
robbooth
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 03, 2011 6:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Needed to use the 'city' option today and found that it's still doing it Rolling Eyes

Jock - did you simply remove mapsettings.cfg and let it recreate a new one and start afresh then?
JockTamsonsBairn
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 03, 2011 9:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, not as a deliberate attempt to fix this, but found that the problem had gone.

TomTom Go 940 LIVE (9.510, Europe v915.5074 on SD & 8.371, WCE v875.3613 on board)
robbooth
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 13, 2011 2:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Right, I can confirm that deleting the mapsettings.cfg file cured this problem for me as well Very Happy
(I use the 'Operate my Go' everytime we have a map update so I don't think it's simply a case of simply using that option - I think the actual file is corrupted / incompatible and needs to be recreated - in fact the mapsettings.cfg file I was using was probably two years worth of map updates old)

Anyway, was on my way back from a customers this morning and was in the m/way services trying to plan a destination and was in no hurry so was messing about with other planning options and found that 'Spoken address' and 'Spoken address (dialogue)' also caused it to hang and reboot.
I've come home, noted all my settings down(!), deleted mapsettings.cfg, connected to Home and let it do its updates and just retried the navigate to 'City centre' and the two 'Spoken address' options and they all work as they should with no rebooting problem.

Now all I need to do is spend the next half hour putting all my settings back in! Rolling Eyes

So cheers Jock, your inadvertent discovery proved to be the solution!

UPDATE:
Just finished inputting all my settings and interesting to note that the new, working mapsettings.cfg is only 4.66kB, whereas the old one was 18.9kB Confused - Just realised it's probably shrunk because now I have no favourites (which was why I kept updating it in the first place)! Rolling Eyes
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Sep 13, 2011 4:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

robbooth wrote:

(I use the 'Operate my Go' everytime we have a map update so I don't think it's simply a case of simply using that option - I think the actual file is corrupted / incompatible and needs to be recreated - in fact the mapsettings.cfg file I was using was probably two years worth of map updates old)

I've always said this!

The "use the Home emulator and add a favourite" fix is only really a 'kludge' workround to get things going again if a device is rebooting constantly with an old MapSettings.cfg file.

It MIGHT work (or seem to work) but I found it's always it's always safest to start again from scratch with a proper one made on the same device using the correct software version, otherwise you can get all sorts of subtle faults and issues occurring..
Mick_1959
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 14, 2011 12:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I too had the same problem.

I solved my problem as follows:

Plug device into PC and boot TomTom Home.
Select Operate my Go
then scroll through device menu on screen and select
Navigate to:
now choose a location and navigate to it in each of following Address - City, Street & Number, Post code, Recent Destination and Favourite

disconnect and then my device works OK.

No idea why, but it solves all my problems
GO 920 Dead
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Sep 15, 2011 11:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Modifying the MapSettings.cfg file by doing something in Home, does usually fix the major problems.

If it works for you, that's great, but I've definitely seen it cause subtle issues which you might not even notice for a while; so I just got into the habit of starting from scratch just for peace of mind.

It only takes five or six minutes to set up everything again, including all my POI/camera warnings.
(But I'm glad I don't need to do all the Euro cameras as well!)

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: