Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Tom Tom XL Live UK - Lat/Long and PGPSW database?
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Tom Tom XL Live UK - Lat/Long and PGPSW database?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
leehazzo
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Aug 13, 2011 6:07 am    Post subject: Tom Tom XL Live UK - Lat/Long and PGPSW database? Reply with quote

Hi Guys,

Wonder if someone could help me?

I'm thinking of buying a Tomtom XL Live uk and wanted to know if the unit would allow you to input longitude and lattitude coordinates and also will the PWGPS database be able to run on it?
Here's the link to the unit i've seen:

http://www.argos.co.uk/static/Product/partNumber/5043495/Trail/searchtext%3ETOM+TOM.htm

Cheers guys, (Dont want to make the same mistake as I did with the navman 475, bought it and found I couldn't get the PGPSW database to work on it)

Thanks in advance

Lee
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Aug 13, 2011 8:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think I replied to the same question from you about the Start 20 yesterday?

But as for the XL LIVE, I can be more definite in my answers as I've got one...

YES you can definitely navigate to coordinates and
YES you can definitely add the PGPSW camera database and have audible/voice warnings for it.
leehazzo
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Aug 13, 2011 1:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cheers Andy and yes you did reply to me yesterday Smile

The reason for asking was, as i've done in the past i've bought cheap and then realised that for an extra £20-30 I could have got an upgraded unit and therefore got much more for my money.
I'd looked at the start 20 and then saw the XL Live for £30 more.

Cheers once again and as you've got the XL Live i'll go for it Smile
leehazzo
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Aug 14, 2011 7:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well got the Tomtom XL Live and I'm chuffed to bits with it Very Happy
Thanks for the info on it Andy,
Not only can I now put PGPSW database on it but it also has the "Live" part free for 12 months which gives me traffic, fixed and mobile speed cam locations (I think provided by snooper) might be wrong,
With the PGPSW database coupled with Tomtom Live I really do feel safe in the knowledge i'm protected...

Cheers Guys and keep up the good work!!! Very Happy
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Aug 15, 2011 6:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thumbs Up

It can be quite interesting to run the TomTom-supplied camera database side-by-side with the PGPSW one for a while.
You'll soon see how many errors and missing cams there are on the TomTom one!

It WOULD be quite useful to have AS WELL because of the way it handles SPECs average speed camera zones...
It bleeps throughout the whole zone if you go over-speed (unfortunately that feature is not available for camera data from third-party suppliers), but the info is so out of date it drives you mad by beeping at you as you drive at 70 along a bit of motorway where the roadworks finished months ago!
DennisN
Tired Old Man
Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Mon Aug 15, 2011 7:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The TT cameras are not just inaccurate, they are no use. The classification of them varies tremendously, so that you will find the same type of camera can display two or more different icons (what I mean is, you'll get two icons along the same bit of road for two of the same camera type).

A really bad thing about them is you don't know what type of camera they are warning for. You identify each different type by using a different warning tone for each - I assume you don't just want Polite 3 for every camera (I didn't)? There are twelve different camera types and when I tried having different warnings for each, I ended up writing them down, because although I'm the world's most brilliant person, I couldn't remember which sound meant which camera type.

This last time, I really persevered and had that list sitting in the dashboard ready to tell what was coming. Unfortunately, I had a freeze-up to which the only solution was the reset and restore Factory settings, so I lost them all. So I've given up comparing them again.

If it tastes good - it's fattening.

Two of them are obesiting!!
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Aug 15, 2011 10:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DennisN wrote:
You identify each different type by using a different warning tone for each - I assume you don't just want Polite 3 for every camera (I didn't)? There are twelve different camera types and when I tried having different warnings for each, I ended up writing them down, because although I'm the world's most brilliant person, I couldn't remember which sound meant which camera type.

Why not get the grandchildren to record some new voice warnings for them?

If you put them in the "sounds" folder you can select them for the built-in camera alerts as well as the PGPSW ones.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: