Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - TomTom GO and SD compatibility?
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

TomTom GO and SD compatibility?
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Cherz
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Aug 19, 2004 9:02 am    Post subject: TomTom GO and SD compatibility? Reply with quote

Hi,

I've just received my TomTom GO and the Western European Maps CDs. I needed an additional SD card to hold the european maps so I bought a Ridata 512MB, but are experiencing trouble.

I've formatted the new card, installed application, installed a map and installed the 4.21 update (as the TomTom support told me to do).

But when I start TomTom Go the display again only shows a animated sequence where the SD card is pulled out and a red cross appears over the SD card. Crying or Very sad

The card seems ok, it formats ok and the installations to the card are sucessful according to the setup.

Does anybody have a clue?

Best regards
Cherz
delboy0754
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Aug 19, 2004 1:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Start again from scratch, this time,

Format the card to clear it. then,

1. install application as normal.

2. install the 4.21 update, before trying to install any maps.
Cherz
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Aug 19, 2004 2:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ahh....

So this might be a usual problem after all, have you experienced it yourself? I was worried that my newly bought SD Card might have compatibility issues with TTG.

Anyway, I'll be testing it later this evening - will let you know whetever it works out.

In any case, thanks for you input!

Cherz

delboy0754 wrote:

baldbazza
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Aug 19, 2004 2:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Cherz

Yes, I do have a clue but you won't like it! I've done exactly the same, using a brand new PNY 512MB card, and got exactly the same response. A mate's Kingston card worked perfectly. After over a week of faffing around with Tomtom support Evil or Very Mad , they eventually admitted that there is a compatibility issue with some SD cards. Basically some cards (and you can't go by brand name, size or country of manufacture) simply won't work. They refer to http://sdprob.aximsite.com/theproblemlist.htm.

There's a thread about this at http://www.globalpositioningsystems.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?p=7384, and a French forum at http://www.gpspassion.com/forumsen/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=12775

Hope that helps.

Regards,
Barry
Cherz
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Aug 19, 2004 2:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

baldbazza wrote:
Yes, I do have a clue but you won't like it! I've done exactly the same, using a brand new PNY 512MB card, and got exactly
the same response. A mate's Kingston card worked perfectly.

Aarghh... I had the choice between Ridata and Kingston, but thought the since the speed issue was less important I should go for the less pricey... Evil or Very Mad

Ridata is not listed at the SD Trouble lsit, but since the TTG is not listed as a device I really do not understand why TT support refer to this list. The TT support has not been very helpful giving me generic answers, seems like they do not really read the questions.

Anyway, I still have a tiny bit of hope left - delboy0754's suggestion. Confused

Cherz
baldbazza
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Aug 19, 2004 4:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good luck with delboy0754's suggestion - let's hope it works. I've now returned my PNY card, hoping to get a refund & have ordered a Kingston. But of course there's no guarantee that that'll work either ......

Tomtom support really isn't good enough :x - they have a duty to warn up front that there might be a problem, even if they can't give specific recommendations. Their FAQ still suggests that any SD card up to 4GB can be used.
Cherz
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Aug 19, 2004 7:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sh[£$€£$#¤]te....

Evil or Very Mad

It seems that I've to sell my card at eBay, since shipping it back to the US would cost me more - and since the card in fact works I can hardly claim a refund.

A card that works fine using TTG as cardreader and even installs fine on TTG should be working on TTG... I believe this is TT's fault, but what can you do? TT support is in my opininon a generic message generator, fast but useless...

Sorry delboy0754, your suggestion didn't work. But I did appreciate your post, any post that brings hope is a good post... Wink

Anyway, thanks delboy0754 and baldbazza for the feedback!

Cherz
baldbazza
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Aug 19, 2004 8:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry to hear it didn't work.

I agree it's Tomtom's responsibility & that there's not a lot we can do. At least others are warned before potentially wasting £50+.

It might be worth seeing if your retailer will take it back. Mine say that they will take back unwanted goods under the distance selling regulations, and list 'incompatibility' as one of the reasons. That probably doesn't help with goods from the US but it might be worth checking.
delboy0754
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Aug 20, 2004 6:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Cherz

Sorry about that,

I can recommend ebuyer for the Lexar 512Mb sd card, and it works, i have one in my TT Go and no problems.

http://www.dealtime.co.uk/xPC-Lifeview_Lexar_512_MB_SD_memory_card_SD512_266

hope this helps
Cherz
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Aug 20, 2004 8:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, I hope potential TTG buyers read this thread and thus avoid buying "non-compatible-according-to-TT" SD cards.

For me, this is a rare lemon - mainly due to forums and threads like this. Should have waited to buy the TTG and read feedbacks when it hit the mainstream...

But then I would have missed my two trips in september, Italy and Germany... Looking forward to really using the TTG... :P

Thanks again!

Cherz
Dave
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Aug 24, 2004 7:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't know if this is still the same with the European CD, but TomTom GO was supposed to be locked to the SD card you purchased it on, just like the Palm OS version is/was.

It maybe different for European maps as these are being supplied on CD, but if I am correct then you may find that the program still requires being installed to the activated SD card, have you tried just installing maps to the second SD card, booting up off the first one and when TTGO is on-screen changing SD Cards at this point ?
Cherz
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Aug 24, 2004 8:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dave wrote:
It maybe different for European maps as these are being supplied on CD, but if I am correct then you may find that the program still requires being installed to the activated SD card, have you tried just installing maps to the second SD card, booting up off the first one and when TTGO is on-screen changing SD Cards at this point ?

I have not tried it since I have not even thought about that possibility. I find it strange that this is not stated in the manual and even more strange that TomTom's support didn't mention it when I asked them for help.

TomTom hasn't answered my last request posted a week ago (still unresolved on my TT page), maybe they're out of generic messages... Wink

But, I'll give it a try - but it sounds like a bit tedious. When the TTG is turned off, would I have to do this all over?

Anyway, thanks for your response!

Cherz
baldbazza
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Aug 24, 2004 10:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the suggestions Dave, but I tried that - as soon as you insert the incompatible card, the TTG complains.

Also, you can't add the European maps to the original activated card, as TT built Go to a price; the supplied 128MB card is only just big enough to hold the GB maps. In fact, when I upgraded to v4.21 software, I had to uninstall some of the voices so that the update would fit.

I've just bought a Kingston 512MB card, which seems to work, if that helps anyone. A mate's Kingston card also worked.

Regards,
Barry
delboy0754
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Aug 24, 2004 6:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

delboy0754 wrote:

After you have done what i said above , was you then told to "Activate the card" by going to this site,

http://www.ttcode.com/ttcode/ActivationCode.php?lang=eng

If you didn't get this when you downloaded from the cd, then you went wrong somewhere.

have a look a page 16 of manual, section 6.4
baldbazza
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Aug 24, 2004 7:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No, it didn't get as far as activation; it would either freeze immediately prior to that point or would show an animation of an SD card with a cross through it.

I had tried all combinations of installing the application and maps; the TTG definitely didn't like my PNY card. Tried exactly the same procedure with a Kingston card and it was fine.

Still, all ok now :D (at last, and no thanks to Tomtom support Evil or Very Mad ).

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: