Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Garmin Launch StreetPilot For iPhone Today
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Garmin Launch StreetPilot For iPhone Today
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> News And Latest Information
View previous topic :: View next topic  
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Aug 04, 2011 6:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The app is very good in use however there are a few missing bits:

1/ mp3 control, you have to switch the app to the background to sort the audio out before switching back to nav, it would be better if basic controls were available from the main nav screen.

2/ Accept a phone call while the app is running and the iPhone doesn't automatically switch back to nav screen post call.

3/ The UK voice needs to be sent away for some lessons in elocution.

4/ The built in speed camera warnings are very difficult to read with most showing ?? against the camera name, or is it the speed, eitherway its not easy to read at speed or while driving around a built up area.

- Mike
Sproing
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 05, 2011 9:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Odd that they should have a UK edition, a US edition, a North American edition but no European edition!

Do they think we never cross the Channel? Very Happy

(Don't suppose this has 3790-like voice control with a trigger word? That, plus European maps, plus that improved HD-style traffic, would get me to replace my aging TomTom 920 in a snap...)
MikeB
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Aug 05, 2011 9:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sproing wrote:
Odd that they should have a UK edition, a US edition, a North American edition but no European edition!

Do they think we never cross the Channel? Very Happy

(Don't suppose this has 3790-like voice control with a trigger word? That, plus European maps, plus that improved HD-style traffic, would get me to replace my aging TomTom 920 in a snap...)

It does not have voice commands in the current product. The European version will come in due course, and as mentioned in the article they are evaluating improved traffic on a continual basis.
ttrevor
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 05, 2011 9:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Does it have portrait mode aswell as landscape ????
Iphone x 64gb IOS 11.3.1 / IPhone 6 Plus 32gb IOS 12 beta /Volkswagen Scirocco R 280 bhp /Suzuki Vitara swb vvt+ /Suzuki Jimny special/running Apple Mac Mini / Apple air/ iPhone x /6 plus navigation / Apple car-play
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Aug 05, 2011 9:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ttrevor wrote:
Does it have portrait mode aswell as landscape ????

Yes it does - Mike
cartman
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Aug 05, 2011 10:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A few problems I've encountered since installing :
1) As far as I can see, the Garmin website doesn't list the iphone(4) anywhere when trying to register.
2) It can't find my device when trying to install the Communicator plugin software
3) I have safety camera alerts selected "On with Audio" but none are showing.
[The website says they are part of the downloaded package]
4) I've set up a route off the M8 into Glasgow but no junction pics are appearing. Do I actually need to be following the route live to get them ?

Any suggestions welcome.
MaFt
Pocket GPS Staff
Pocket GPS Staff

PostPosted: Sat Aug 06, 2011 9:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

cartman wrote:
A few problems I've encountered since installing :
1) As far as I can see, the Garmin website doesn't list the iphone(4) anywhere when trying to register.
2) It can't find my device when trying to install the Communicator plugin software
3) I have safety camera alerts selected "On with Audio" but none are showing.
[The website says they are part of the downloaded package]
4) I've set up a route off the M8 into Glasgow but no junction pics are appearing. Do I actually need to be following the route live to get them ?

Any suggestions welcome.

1) you don't need to register it, it's an iPhone app so not the noral hardware warranty etc
2) it's an iphone app, you can't install POIs, routes etc to it via Garmin Communicator (or POI Loader for that matter)
3) they show as a small red square icon for fixed cameras and give a quiet bong on approach. i've not come across any mobile zones even though i have driven through areas i know garmin have marked as such
4) pretty certain you need to be actually driving to get those.

MaFt
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Aug 06, 2011 9:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The built in camera warnings are not too easy to spot on the screen, here is a mobile camera warning:

The software doesn't support "CP" mode, you need to be out driving following a route to get camera warnings and the motorway junction pictures - Mike
PeirreOBollox
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 06, 2011 12:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Although highly unlikely, I`d like to see the ability to interface with Mapsource, in the same way as I can with my zumo PND.
Also I think I will wait for the europe version as its more useful to me. I suspect price of the europe version won`t be hugely different to the UK & Ireland offering, especially when you look at the price structure of the similar TT offerings for the iphone.
Also to encourage the take up of the UK & Ireland, maybe Garmin could sell it for a limited time at an introductory price Confused
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Aug 06, 2011 12:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As the UK&ROI version is over 800MB imagine how large a full European version would be especially if they maintained the photo "Reality View" images for each of the major road junctions across the whole region. Probably end up with something around 5GB which I doubt users would want from a download/ install perspective, let alone the storage capacity it would consume on the iPhone - Mike
PeirreOBollox
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 06, 2011 3:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don`t think 5Gb is excessively huge for euro map coverage.
As someone who swops and changes their music collection regularly, especially to refresh the list & keep the number of file stored on my iphone down. I still have at least 5.9Gb of free space left before making any effort to reduce the used space. No doubt deleting many of the junk "free apps" would also free up much more space.

Though I do wonder how long it will be before this app ends up on file sharing site such as Newzbin?
dougproctor
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Aug 06, 2011 4:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, like a lamb, I bought it - another Sat Nav application! But I do like the clean look in Garmin products and this is no exception. Bought a month's traffic as well but yet to use it.
There is room for improvements, I must admit, but certainly worth looking at. Not sure about the price though as other contenders i.e. IGo Primo and Copilot Live Premium are much cheaper.
Let's hope for some quick updates and it is my main satnav at the moment. Well, until the next one.......

Oh and Mr Alder - speed 79mph in a 70mph zone(picture above) but I suppose this is a demo although I thought there was no demo setting in this app yet!!!!!
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Aug 06, 2011 4:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dougproctor wrote:
Oh and Mr Alder - speed 79mph in a 70mph zone(picture above) but I suppose this is a demo although I thought there was no demo setting in this app yet!!!!!

Correct, there is no demo mode within the app, have you ever tried to grab a screen shot when driving, pressing both buttons isn't viable unless you are sat in the passenger seat Wink Honest - Mike
MaFt
Pocket GPS Staff
Pocket GPS Staff

PostPosted: Sat Aug 06, 2011 5:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

PeirreOBollox wrote:
I don`t think 5Gb is excessively huge for euro map coverage.

No, not in that sense. however, when on a 16gb (15.2gb useable) device that's nearly a third of the available space... add to that a couple of movies, a bunch of music and a few other apps and suddenly a 5gb app is a real PITA...

MaFt
zebsogo
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Aug 06, 2011 5:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dougproctor wrote:
Well, like a lamb, I bought it - another Sat Nav application! But I do like the clean look in Garmin products and this is no exception.

Garmin map Clean Look" you got to be kidding me. If you want Clean looking SatNav the Navigon win hands down. Garmin graphics are a joke in my opinion ugly blocky and child-like with its big blue over sized car and its garish graphics are anything but clean. I wonder why Garmin have so many models to the market and all with the same gawd awful graphics oh did i mention the poor routing. Rant over !!!

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> News And Latest Information All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: