Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Volume Of Speed Camera Voice Alerts
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Volume Of Speed Camera Voice Alerts

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
polkay
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Aug 01, 2011 1:28 pm    Post subject: Volume Of Speed Camera Voice Alerts Reply with quote

I have the new voice speed camera alerts on my Tom Tom Go 930 however the volume is very low and hardly able to hear them in car...is there anyway of increase volume of the ogg files.

Danny
DennisN
Tired Old Man
Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Mon Aug 01, 2011 2:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think once you have set your 930's volume higher, that's it.

But from your previous posts I think you are savvy enough to download free Audacity, open each OGG file and increase the volume, then save. That means you have to keep and use your own ones and not replace with fresh downloads for each datbase update.

If it tastes good - it's fattening.

Two of them are obesiting!!
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Aug 01, 2011 3:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can only repeat the advice I gave to you over on TomTomForums.com....

Quote:
This is a quite common issue.
Unfortunately, TomTom have never given us the individual volume controls that many of us have asked for.
In most cases the voice warnings will have been recorded as loud as the system will handle, but the software plays them back slightly quiet.

There are a couple of suggestions I can make which will help a bit

1. Use a "real" voice for the navigation instructions rather than a text to speech one.
The TTS voices have always been louder than the recorded voices, so you tend to have the overall volume set slightly lower which means the warnings are lower too.
The POI warnings are a better match in volume for the real nav. voices. Try it and see.

2. You don't say exactly what warning voices you are using (at a guess you are from the UK and maybe using the camera data and voices from PocketGPSWorld?)
If so, I had a lot to do with creating some of those voices and have spent a lot of time trying to get them as loud as they can possibly be.
So which voice are you actually using? It might not be the latest version or there may be some other oddity we can check.

There's also deeper discussion about it on PGPSW's own forum..

Andy

You've now given some more info... namely that it's one of the NEW voice packs you are using.
I'm afraid they are recorded as loud as they will go without distortion (digital peak level) and have already been compressed to reduce the dynamic range (so the quiet bits are loud too) so Dennis's suggestion will not work.

The best bet is to try the TTS/Real voice switchover I mentioned above.
Not a great solution, I know, but our hands are tied by TomTom's inflexible software.
Or you could try one of the older voice warning packs (download page) to see if one "cuts through" better for you.
AliOnHols
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Mon Aug 01, 2011 7:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know it's not an answer to your question but switching to using typed out warnings when given the option on the TomTom, the warnings are read out at exactly the same volume as the directions.

It's a real effort initially typing out your warnings (especially if you use the EU/USA/etc. warnings as well as the Uk ones), but it needs doing just once.
SatMap Active 10 & 20.
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Aug 01, 2011 7:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

AliOnHols wrote:
It's a real effort initially typing out your warnings (especially if you use the EU/USA/etc. warnings as well as the Uk ones), but it needs doing just once.

If you do type out all your own warnings make sure you make a backup of the MapSettings.cfg file from Western_Europe map folder, if the device crashes and that file gets deleted all your hard work will have gone, with a back up you can simply copy the file back to the Map folder from the PC and all the warnings will be back again - Mike
DennisN
Tired Old Man
Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Mon Aug 01, 2011 7:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There is another thought - are you using App v8.351? I personally found it had low volume, so I run v8.302.

If it tastes good - it's fattening.

Two of them are obesiting!!
polkay
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Aug 01, 2011 10:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks folks I'll try typing in my own warnings.
Andy I'd forgot that I had asked for help on the other Forums.

Danny

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: