Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
SurfShark Antivirus
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Reviewed: Bracketron Universal Nav-Mat 2
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Reviewed: Bracketron Universal Nav-Mat 2
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Other Hardware and Software
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Jul 23, 2011 12:16 pm    Post subject: Reviewed: Bracketron Universal Nav-Mat 2 Reply with quote

pocketgpsworld.com

Most satnav owners will, at one time or another, have looked at alternative options for mounting their device in-car.

The manufacturer supplied windscreen mounts work well but they don't suit every car. People carriers with their steeply raked windscreens often place devices out of reach and there are also security considerations. We are constantly reminded that we should remove all evidence of a satnav when leaving a car unattended and window suction mounts leave a tell tale circle mark on the glass.

There are a myriad of third party mounts to choose from but most are semi-permanent in nature. Solutions that allow you to mount your satnav on the dashboard without having to drill holes for mounting brackets or use self adhesive tape are less common.

Bracketron, manufactures of the solution we are reviewing here, have some expertise in this area. Their first design, the Nav-Mat, used a weighted bean bag solution to provide a stable mounting base and because it was simple and worked well it sold in the thousands.

And so they have developed a second generation version, the 'Universal Nav-Mat 2' which uses an entirely new design, that is less bulky and equally as, if not more, stable than the first.

Read our review here.

tigerbear
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Jul 23, 2011 2:13 pm    Post subject: navmat2 Reply with quote

Hi All

just took a peek at the main website.. seems this is only 10 ozs.. what a difference it would be to my heavy bulky mat i have now.. maybe Pocket should have a comp to give some away.. stir some interest. Laughing Out Loud

Steve
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Jul 23, 2011 2:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll see if we can persuade the manufacturer to sponsor a comp. It's really a very clever and neat solution. Looks good, works well and doesn't way a ton. Also more resilient to sliding across the dash than the weighted bean-bag variety.
Anita
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Jul 23, 2011 2:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've just ordered one from bmcdigital for £19.95 with free delivery.

Just hope it will work on my ultra-curvy Ford KA dashboard, otherwise my son will get another early Christmas present, like the bean bag mount that didn't work!
Samsung Galaxy S21
Wazza_G
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 24, 2011 12:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've got the original Nav-Mat. It's unused now because it's attached to my TomTom, which again is unused, sick & tired of its awful mapping. And stupid zonal mapping. Evil or Very Mad

However when I did use it I found it very good, albeit a little heavy & of course you have the advantage of not leaving the "ring" on the windscreen. Smile

The Garmin I have has the official Garmin bean bag mount which is brilliant.

The only thing that I have a problem with is that it blocks the dashboard tray lid on my car, so it's scrunched up on the bottom righthand side of the dash & it still works perfectly OK.
Madrilleno
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Jul 29, 2011 9:35 am    Post subject: Bracktron Prices Reply with quote

The link for the Nav-Mat 2 (http://www.bmcdigital.co.uk/catalog/view/bracketron-navmat-2-universal-gps-dashboard-mount#) listing the price at 19.95 now shows as £21.95. However, if you search on ebay, you could still get it for £20.95. And guess who the seller is...? Yep, BMCDigital.

Madrilleno

Last edited by Madrilleno on Fri Jul 29, 2011 10:46 am; edited 1 time in total
Trev501
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Jul 29, 2011 10:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Presumably you need to remove the mat when not in use for the same reason as not leaving a ring. In which case, do you need to be careful how it is stored in view of the tacky undersurface to prevent it picking up grit/dirt etc?
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Jul 29, 2011 10:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just chuck mine in the glovebox and it hasn't picked up any fluff. But yes, you do need to be careful where you store it to avoid the underneath collecting fluff.

If it does though, a quick rinse under the tap is all that is required to restore the tackiness and remove the detritus.
AlHos
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 29, 2011 11:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey Darren, I presume that it would not work on a cloth based dash like a Smart car?
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Jul 29, 2011 11:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

AlHos wrote:
Hey Darren, I presume that it would not work on a cloth based dash like a Smart car?

I'm sure it would work, it'd be able to grip just as effectively. The only issue I could foresee is that it would pick up lint etc with each removal and so may need more frequent cleaning.
navtrav
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Jul 29, 2011 4:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What makes this one so special to be more than double the price of TomTom's own mat of exactly the same design? £9.99 on ebay for the dashboard sat nav friction mat.
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Jul 29, 2011 5:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

navtrav wrote:
What makes this one so special to be more than double the price of TomTom's own mat of exactly the same design? £9.99 on ebay for the dashboard sat nav friction mat.

A cursory look at eBay throws up quite a few, none of which appear to have the sticky padded base that this one has nor are the ones on eBay "TomTom's own".

I have no personal xperience of the ones on eBay but I doubt they'd work anywhere nears as well. The weight of a satnav on a mount would just cause the base to lift and the mount to tip over.

The one I reviewed actually adheres to the dash, it does not relay on friction alone.

Infact, when I originally tested the Navmat, I hadn't realised that there was a plastic sheet protecting the sticky base and it did just that, i.e. the weight of the mount caused the base to lift and the mount to fall over. As soon as I removed the protective sheet and it 'stuck' to the dash, that didn't happen again.

At the end of the day you pays your money but I'll wager that ones such as this will be a waste of £9.99 and probably even a safety hazard. You really don't want a satnav flying around the dash or the car. Buy cheap, pay twice?
Wazza_G
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 29, 2011 7:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

One thing to consider is that if your car has a dashboard with a lidded compartment on it, such as mine (Skoda Octavia), then this isn't really for you as it obviously stops access to the compartment, but it can cause a problem with the spring loaded catch on the lid, so it would be better to use a standard bean bag mount for vehicles like this.
Apple
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Jul 29, 2011 8:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Darren,

Have you any experience on how they work with stiff suspension and rough roads as the local council doesn't like to patch them up for years if it doesn't have to Sad and the STi suspension isn't the most forgiving ;)

I'm fed up of my pogo alert chopping out every few seconds due to a bad connection (known pogo problem) and a tomtom that drops off the screen but it'd be nice to have a decent holding solution that potentially isolated it from the jarring.

On another point, I generally put my devices on the RHS - between the binnacle and the A-pillar - how are they for multiple surface angle changes as I don't like having stuff in the middle of the dash?

Not too much to ask I hope ;)

Cheers, Andy.
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Jul 29, 2011 10:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It will be at least as sturdy as a windscreen mount.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Other Hardware and Software All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: