Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Renaming POI's
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Renaming POI's
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Points Of Interest (POIs)
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2011 4:53 pm    Post subject: Renaming POI's Reply with quote

Hi, Can anyone help, whenever I download a new POI it is saved as a number, but I never know exactly what the poi is. So i have always renamed them for future use, but lately if I try to rename a poi it comes up with a warning saying the poi will be unusable if I change it's name. As something changed or am I doing something wrong?
M8TJT
The Other Tired Old Man
The Other Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2011 5:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It would help a lot if you told us what device and which POIs you are trying to install Shocked
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2011 7:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's any Tomtom zipped poi from the pocket gps poi site,I used to be able to right click and then rename from the drop down list. But now like I said it advises you not to. The last one I tried was for Jewsons and Travis Perkins the folder is 23315_POIs.zip. The only way to view it is to unzip the folder and look at the two files.
Rick-uk
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2011 8:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It is the files contained within the zip archive that you place on your Tomtom. Not the zip archive itself.

The POI files have a .ov2 extension and their matching bitmap images are .bmp

Place these two files (which should be named according to the POI category you downloaded) into the relevant map folder on your device.

Rick
Oldboy
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2011 8:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

1304 wrote:
The last one I tried was for Jewsons and Travis Perkins the folder is 23315_POIs.zip. The only way to view it is to unzip the folder and look at the two files.
It should make no difference what the name of the zip file is.

The only time you should get a warning like that is if you change, or delete, the file extension.

TT 910 V7.903: Europe Map v1045
TT Via 135 App 12.075: Europe Map v1120
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2011 11:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If I'm reading between the lines correctly, I think the OP is unzipping them when he puts them on the TomTom, but he wants to rename the zip archive on hisPC so he knows what it is when he comes back to look at it later.

Is that what you're trying to do '1304'?

If so, I wouldn't bother trying to keep the zip archive, just save the two unzipped files in a normal folder that you can call anything you like.
MaFt
Pocket GPS Staff
Pocket GPS Staff

PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2011 9:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

When you download the files use 'save as' and rename the zip files as you download them.

MaFt
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2011 9:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes that is exactly what I mean Andy_P he has got it dead right. I have about thirty zipped poi's that I like to keep as small icon's, and yes I can unzip them to read them, but I cannot understand why I use to be able to rename them and now I cannot!

But now I think about it not all of them are Pocket GPS downloads, some are from company web sites, for example Premier inn, Travel Lodge, Selco, if I download the site location map from Travis Perkins web site I can change the zip file name but not if I use Pocket GPS poi web page.

So it must be something PGPS does differently.
Daggers
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2011 11:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So, I'm assuming you're doing this in Windows Explorer, and you have your PC set up to show file extensions? (i.e they appear as "23315_POIs.zip", rather than just "23315_POIs", for example).

I think the problem is that you are trying to change the name of the extension - the ".zip" part - so the computer won't know what to do with the file next time you try to open it.

You can change the name of the file, but leave the ".zip" at the end. This should cure the problem.

This isn't a specific PGPSW problem, but is generic Windows issue - it would happen to all your files, no matter where you downloaded them from.
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Jul 21, 2011 5:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well I think Daggers has half solved the problem, I did has you suggested and deleted the .zip part but it still advised that it may not work properly. So I continued anyway, next it ask what i wanted to use to open the file, it gave a number of drop downs so i chose internet explorer, and the next thing I new it had changed the name.
But I think next time I'll just save the two icons, it's easier.

Thanks for your time.
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Jul 21, 2011 5:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

1304 wrote:
I did as you suggested and deleted the .zip part

I don't think that's what he said!
He said you can change the REST of the name but you need to leave the extension (the ".zip") alone.
Daggers
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 21, 2011 6:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Exactly! The ".zip" is essential.
M8TJT
The Other Tired Old Man
The Other Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Thu Jul 21, 2011 7:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

@1304
If you try to rename the extension e.g. the .zip bit, Windows (7) generates the error message "If you change a file name extension, the file might become unusable. Are you sure you want to change it?"

If this is the error message that you are getting, then it's the extension that you are, possibly inadvertently, trying to rename as well as the file name.

The filename is the bit before the period and the extension is the bit after it (as in FileName.zip). Windows uses the extension to associate a file with a program. For example, on a computer with MS Office, Windows associates a file with the .xls extension with Excel and a file with the .doc extension with Word. If you change the extension from .xls to .doc, Windows will try to open the file in Word rather than the correct program which is Excel.

Because of this, you should only rename the bit before the period (unless you are certain that you know what you are doing).

By default Windows hides the extensions of 'known file types' presumably to try to prevent less experienced people changing them and thus screwing up which program they open with when double clicked. This 'prevention' is further extended to the smart asses who 'show extensions' when they try to change them.
The 'smart asses' (myself included) know most of the extenson names and which program they open with even when files with different extensions open with the same program, say .ogg and .mp3 files both open with media player (I'm not certain whether this is correct or not) thus have the same icon, although the internal file structure is different.
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Jul 22, 2011 2:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oop's, Daggers was correct, I deleted the 322115 part and low and behold it worked. My apologies, I never read his reply correctly.

If the problem is that I am showing the extension how do I stop it from doing it in the future. Is there another way to set up my computer to hide the extension or is it just how it is?
AliOnHols
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Fri Jul 22, 2011 3:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

it doesn't really matter if the ".zip" extension is shown or not, its a personal choice, I prefer to have them showing so that I can instantly see which file types I'm moving about and deleting etc.

If you just download the POI file you want. Before you do anything else, click once on it to highlight it then press "f2" on your keyboard, the computer is now ready for you to rename it to what ever you like (it shall retain the .zip extension), save it by pressing the Enter/Return key.

When you un-zip the file, the unzipped FOLDER shall be named the same as you changed the .zip file to.
SatMap Active 10 & 20.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Points Of Interest (POIs) All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: