Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Life in the old dog yet...
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Life in the old dog yet...

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
kissinuk
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Jul 11, 2011 3:00 pm    Post subject: Life in the old dog yet... Reply with quote

The internal memory on my 920 seemed to get corrupt a couple of years ago - I got the dreaded red X after connecting it up via TomTom Home. TT themselves game me some software to run some checks and they agreed that it needed repair. However as I was able to boot from an SD card I never sent it away (it was out of warranty anyway). Windows XP was unable to see any drive other than the SD slot, the main memory was not accessible to reformat.

I upgraded to windows 7 a while back but never thought to connect up the 920. However at the weekend I plugged it in and low and behold it discovered 2 drives, the internal and the SD! I installed Home and got it to upgrade the internal memory and now it works again without booting from the SD.

So, if you have had a similar problem with your TT on windows XP, don't despair and try using windows 7, you never know what might happen....
DennisN
Tired Old Man
Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Mon Jul 11, 2011 7:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know what happened to me after I upgraded to Windows 7 - I went out and bought an Apple Mac! Twisted Evil

If it tastes good - it's fattening.

Two of them are obesiting!!
xda
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 12, 2011 1:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

DennisN wrote:
I know what happened to me after I upgraded to Windows 7 - I went out and bought an Apple Mac! Twisted Evil

Oh the cheap hold my hand option. Laughing
Map: Europe V910.4892
Map: Europe_Truck V870.3421, Kingston 8GB SD
Nokia 925 Windows 8
dennisf
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Jul 14, 2011 2:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

xda wrote:
DennisN wrote:

Don't you mean the expensive hold my hand version, i feel really sorry for those sucked in by apple.
DennisN
Tired Old Man
Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Thu Jul 14, 2011 9:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dennisf wrote:
xda wrote:
DennisN wrote:

Don't you mean the expensive hold my hand version, i feel really sorry for those sucked in by apple.
Not cheap at all, but then, you pays peanuts, you gets monkeys! I think I first wanted a Mac when I saw one about 25 years ago. Trouble was, everything at work was PCs with MS-DOS, then moved to Windows (I remember overhearing a spotty boy assistant in Dixons telling a customer that "It's all Windows now, there isn't DOS any more.")

At least, now when I get home I know my computer isn't going to sit and refuse to communicate with me or crash and it fills me with confidence like windoze never did (since about 3.1). And it's still as fast as when I got it nine months ago - show me the windows PC you can say that about!! My win 7 laptop won't do emails any more and won't print wirelessly - best I can manage is screen print, copy to mem stick and print on Mac. Rolling Eyes

If it tastes good - it's fattening.

Two of them are obesiting!!
xda
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 15, 2011 1:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Had one of those Apple things last year, was supposed to be the Bees Knees, cost nearly as much as my Windows Server. Didn't like connecting to the network and wouldn't connect to the internet via the BTBusiness Fibre optic router.
When it did connect to the network it wouldn't print to the Network Printer (A Xerox Colour Laser) Fortunately managed to find one of those Apple Fans with more money than sense who bought it for what I paid for it.
I'll stick with my Windows each to their own and what works the best etc.
As an aside the granddaughters Ipad connects to the wireless side of the network fine and prints to the network printer. Work that one out.
Surprised
Map: Europe V910.4892
Map: Europe_Truck V870.3421, Kingston 8GB SD
Nokia 925 Windows 8
JimmyTheHand
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Jul 15, 2011 7:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

DennisN wrote:
Not cheap at all, but then, you pays peanuts, you gets monkeys!

Today Apple are dearer than PCs - but if you buy a quality PC I don't think they are that much dearer. However compared to the ones you can just buy in places like Tesco they look significantly dearer (but people rarely look at quality just price/performance)

DennisN wrote:
I think I first wanted a Mac when I saw one about 25 years ago

No Apple II then ;)

DennisN wrote:
At least, now when I get home I know my computer isn't going to sit and refuse to communicate with me or crash and it fills me with confidence like windoze never did (since about 3.1). And it's still as fast as when I got it nine months ago - show me the windows PC you can say that about!!

My desktop is as fast 2+ years later as when I brought it - I have had trouble with laptops dying after a few years, but they get abused. This current one was showing signs of dying but it turns out to be defective hard disk (probably going to replace HDD soon)
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Jul 15, 2011 4:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kissinuk
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Jul 15, 2011 9:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Personally I've never had any problems with W7, much better than the Mac we use at work to test our internet banking site. Plus W7 did fix my TT after all!

Incidentally I went out and bought a cradle for my phone + Android Co Pilot a day before the TomTom came back to life. Typical!

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: