Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - smartphone vs realtime gps tracking (not navigation) device
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

smartphone vs realtime gps tracking (not navigation) device

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> PDA/Smartphone Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
execn
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Jul 07, 2011 9:26 pm    Post subject: smartphone vs realtime gps tracking (not navigation) device Reply with quote

I am planning to use a cellphone for real time tracking on the internet or for sending coordinates with sms.I would ask

1How is accuracy compared to specialized devices?

2How is ability work with obstacles (for example indoors) compared to specialized devices?

3How is battery working time compared to specialized devices?

4How is reliability?I mean can cell phone stop sending coordinates without obvious reasons?

5Which nonexpensive smartphone is the best for this purpose?

6Can i do anything for example adding an external antenna to improve gps?
alix776
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Jul 07, 2011 9:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

if you can use gprs instead if text this may be more economical depends on how accurate you need it to be smartphone is usually just as accurate as a dedicated device

it also depends on what you want to track a smart phone ie andriod, windows mobile symbian phone can all support this type of usage do you want to covertly track something or will the user know they are being tracked
the intended use for such tracking does make to the solution that can be recomended

Oh the joys of being a courier.
device Lumia 950 xl
execn
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Jul 10, 2011 12:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i need to be able to locate my children in case of an abduction.there was such an incident nearby which made me worry.In case of an abduction the tracking unit need to be able to work inside a car trunk with many buildings around.Ability to work with obstacles is the most important parameter for me.I searched google and find lots of gps tracking devices but i dont know which one is able to do this.

I would hide a mobile phone to my childrens backpack as gsm signals can be tracked indoors and in car by police but turned out to be too inaccurate (500m to kms).

I would ask

1-if i use a mobile phone with a bluetooth gps module and tracking software can i accomplish this

2-i read agps uses gsm signals where gps is unavailable but how is accuracy and ability work inside a car trunk

3-is there any tracking device which can accomplish this

4-is there another solution

i can pay max 200$
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Jul 10, 2011 9:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You won't get anything capable of meeting all your needs, two main issues are power and working inside a metal box.

A mobile phone with the GPS switched on will typically drain its battery within an hour, two hours at very best, not very good if its being relied upon as a location beacon.

GPS receivers built in to a phone are good but won't work inside a metal box, you want it to work in the trunk, I doub't it will get a signal in there.

If you are worried about abduction in your local area I would consider moving home rather than trying to use technology to do something after the event - Mike

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> PDA/Smartphone Discussion All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: