Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Can I turn off Navigation voice but leave on Speed Cam chime
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Can I turn off Navigation voice but leave on Speed Cam chime

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Garmin Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
mcousin
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Jul 01, 2011 8:39 pm    Post subject: Can I turn off Navigation voice but leave on Speed Cam chime Reply with quote

Does anyone know if this can be done on a Garmin Zumo 550? Basically I can't stand the Navi tweetering away and I want to turn it off. If I turn down the volume then I don't hear the speed cam chime and I DO want to hear that! can any one help?
dales
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Jul 02, 2011 11:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't know about a Zumo, but this works on my nuvi 255.

Using the Ash10 Voice Utility, I doctored the Garmin's American voice file to replace all the Navigational instructions with silence - apart from bings, bongs and items in rare usage.

I also doctored the English voice file to replace the annoying 'Recalculating' instruction with silence.

I can now switch between the two sets of voice files as desired - English if I want Navigation, and 'doctored American' if I want to be left alone with just my speed cam chime.

Dales.
mcousin
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Jul 02, 2011 7:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Dales, that sound a great idea, I have just worked out that by deleting all the voice files I effectively disable the voice and the chimes stay, but your solution is better as it gives choice, can you tell me how you 'doctored' the files...did you simply choose a language and then delete just that language? Cheers Maurice
Kremmen
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Sun Jul 03, 2011 6:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

On Garmins it does respond to POI's regardless of whether you have a route planned or not.

If you decide not to show the map in non-navigation mode then you will also get warnings with a popup text display of the camera details.

To just get custom sounds like bongs only then the best solution is to hack the WAV or MP3 files to remove the bits you don't want then load them in as normal.
Viofo A119 V3
Car Average MPG :
dales
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Jul 03, 2011 12:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Maurice,

I didn't delete any voice files - I altered them.

I used Ash10's Voice Utility (now called GarTool) which you can find at page 14 (and last) in the Sticky at the top of this Garmin PND board.

Using this, you can delete the various navigation words like Turn; Drive; Continue; and replace them with a Short Silence.

Be prepared to spend an hour or two on the task. There's a Potted Guide on page 11 of the Sticky, and the File Format can be seen on page 9 of the Sticky.

When I did it, with Ash10's free version, I was limited to altering 50 sound samples. (Above that limit, the sound quality deliberately degrades). So I only altered the most common navigation instructions, and left alone the rarer things like Battery Power Low.

Dales.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Garmin Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: