Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - TomTom Announce GO LIVE 800 Series
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

TomTom Announce GO LIVE 800 Series
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Jun 13, 2011 4:57 pm    Post subject: Re: 825 Touchscreen Comparison with the 100x Reply with quote

WillRansom wrote:
Does anyone know where I can get a goose-neck screen mount for my 1005? My arms aren't long enough to reach the lovely 1005 with its short mounting.

Depending upon the car you drive it should be possible to get a Brodit Pro-Clip to straddle one of the air vents and attach the mount to that - Mike
WillRansom
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Jun 14, 2011 9:18 am    Post subject: Re: 825 Touchscreen Comparison with the 100x Reply with quote

mikealder wrote:
WillRansom wrote:
Does anyone know where I can get a goose-neck screen mount for my 1005? My arms aren't long enough to reach the lovely 1005 with its short mounting.

Depending upon the car you drive it should be possible to get a Brodit Pro-Clip to straddle one of the air vents and attach the mount to that - Mike

Thanks Mike. I would rather use a Screen-mount which is more flexible, so that when "The Boss" decides she wants to see what's going on, the air vents stay intact (sorry dear). I have scoured the Brodit and several other sites and as yet there appears to be nothing for the 100X series with a gooseneck. Maybe a bit of bricolage is called for here... You know, a bit of one attached to a bit of another.

On another note, when I logged on to the TomTom website last evening, to register my unit, it insisted that I download three necessary updates
1. Something that was greyed-out, so obviously I couldn't.
2. Western Europe Maps 998MB (only 21 Countries - this looks suspiciously like the same Western European map I have on my old IPAQ H2210 v6.75) - didn't want this, or do I..??
3. Europe 3.xxxGB - forgot to check the version number before starting.
As I didn't want to drop from the advertised 45 countries to a mere 21, thereby severely limiting my weekend travels, I opted for the 3GB. Well, with my snail-mail Broadband (MAX 1MB on a VERY good day, and that is a business line!!!), it took well over 8 hours to download, and I still have to install it on my TT. How am I going to do that without deleting what is already there as it only has 4GB on board? Can anyone enlighten me? I have had to leave the Pc logged on to TT waiting to do the install, until this evening when I return from the salt mine.
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Jun 14, 2011 10:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If this is a 100x you are referring to then you don't install it, it's automated and you have no involvement in the process?
WillRansom
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Jun 14, 2011 10:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Darren wrote:
If this is a 100x you are referring to then you don't install it, it's automated and you have no involvement in the process?

Thanks Darren. I have only got to the point of being instructed to reconnect my 1005 to the Pc, after it finally finished downloading the 3.7-odd GB from TomTom overnight. Sorry for being a bit dense over this, but so that I'm absolutely clear over this, should I do what the TT website is telling me to do - (re)connect my device and let it get on with whatever it wants to do...?? This will only happen this evening when I return home providing the website hasn't thrown me out during the day. once I am up and running again, I will send in a new post with a comparison between my new 1005 and my old H2210 v6.75, as there are a few quite startling things to report. Cheers - Will
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Jun 14, 2011 11:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, just connect the unit and leave MyTomTom to do its thing.
WillRansom
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Jun 14, 2011 11:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Darren wrote:

Thanks again. Let's hope that between me and the TT website we get it right and there are no tears at bed-time. Cheers.. Will
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Jun 14, 2011 12:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

WillRansom wrote:
Darren wrote:

Thanks again. Let's hope that between me and the TT website we get it right and there are no tears at bed-time. Cheers.. Will

At least if it DOES all go wrong, you can't blame yourself...

(As there's nothing you can do to influence the process like you could in the old days! ) Laughing

I have to say... that after a pretty dodgy start, the MyTomTom interface seems to be working quite well now.
The remaining problems seem to be getting it to agree with what you think should be available (or not).
But once it HAS decided to give you something, it now seems to deliver it to you reasonably competently.
Skumba
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Jun 17, 2011 8:45 pm    Post subject: Updating my new Go Live 1005 Reply with quote

Well, the update/download was entirely painless - but definitely sleepless. I started at about 9pm and finished the initial download of 3.7-odd GB around 5am the next morning. So much for broadband where I live...!! In great fear of doing anything stupid or the TT website demanding to do everything again the following evening, I left the Pc connected to the TT download webpage, wanting me to connect my 1005. Having just experienced an 8-hour download, I wasn't about to try to fix everything before I set off for the salt-mine was I? I could have because when I got home that evening, I connected my 1005, and it was finished in just over 40 minutes. HOWEVER..!! MyTT still wants me to download the 21-Country Western European Maps (about 998MB), which are, strangely, the same size as my old v6.75 WE Maps on my IPAQ H2210 running TT6. Surely, with the 34-Country European Maps (3.xGB) I don't need them? Or do I? Please advise me.
One thing I have noticed is that my 1005 can't count... It thinks that the metric equivalent of 70mph is 115kmh. Even my old TT6 knew it was 113. PLEASE, Tom-Tom. Get your ducks right!! I haven't been able to check any other metric limits yet. It is also very slow acknowledging changes in speed limit. I pass the various sign-posts and after anything between 50 and 150metres my 1005 is still showing the wrong limit, which, from 8 years experience, my old TT6 with 6.75 Maps NEVER did.
Overall, I am pleased, but it is amazing how many steps TT has taken backwards while going forward.
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Jun 17, 2011 9:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

At a guess you have used an e-mail address to register the new toy with the TomTom server that has been previously used on another TomTom device or product, give them a ring on 0845 161 0009 to resolve this on Monday morning.

The e-mail you use to register any TomTom product MUST be unique, in fact it can be so unique that it doesn't have to actually work, it simply needs to be in the recognised format Skumba@1005.com would be acceptable to the TomTom system for the new unit - Mike

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to: