Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Use UK and Euro speed cam voice alerts
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Use UK and Euro speed cam voice alerts
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
aw
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Jun 12, 2011 12:50 pm    Post subject: Use UK and Euro speed cam voice alerts Reply with quote

I have downloaded the latest speed cam database from here, speed zoned versions, for the UK and Europe. Also downloaded the Liz UK voice alerts which work fine.

Although I would have liked the same voice for the Euro speed cams, this is not available, so I dowmloaded the Andy alerts. Copied these across using the same method as the UK alerts. I am only able to assign about 5 voice alerts, after this I get no option to select which sound method.

Is there a solution for this? I don't really want to try the Kate computerised files.

I have 86 ov2 files and TT speed cams are disabled.
W & C Europe: 870.3460
rfp2001
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 12, 2011 4:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Poke a pin in its bottom to reset it and try again - I sometimes get this "problem"
aw
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Jun 12, 2011 5:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for your reply.

There is nowhere to poke a pin in the bottom of my 750 Live.
nibor
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 12, 2011 6:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Press and hold the On/Off button until your device restarts. This can take more than fifteen seconds. Very Happy
DennisN
Tired Old Man
Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Sun Jun 12, 2011 7:13 pm    Post subject: Re: Use UK and Euro speed cam voice alerts Reply with quote

aw wrote:
I am only able to assign about 5 voice alerts, after this I get no option to select which sound method.

Check the mobile and pMobile files you have got - see whether there are .OGG files for every one of them. I think there are some voice sets which don't cover every variation of camera and when you have a set missing (e.g. mobiles) the device tends to sulk and stop cooperating!!

If it tastes good - it's fattening.

Two of them are obesiting!!
aw
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Jun 12, 2011 10:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks. I'll check the files and post back tomorrow.
aw
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Jun 13, 2011 12:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have now checked all the Euro files in the Andy speedzoned download.

The following .ogg files are missing:

gatso 20, gatso 30, gatso 65, gatso tba, mobile 20, mobile 30, mobile tba, specs tba. There are no .ogg files associated with pmobile.

There is one var .ogg file but this does not have a gatso, mobile or specs prefix. Not sure which group this would be associated with.

Advice on how to proceed would be appreciated.
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Jun 13, 2011 1:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Unfortunately the voice alert files were made some time ago. Our database has evolved considerably and so we don't have files for every speed in some of the voice packs.

As the alerts were not recorded by us it's not possible for us to fill in the gaps. You could choose a different alert set such as Kate TTS which does have a complete set of alerts or mix and match these with Andy or even record your own alerts.
aw
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Jun 13, 2011 2:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks, I will try your suggestion. Kate TTS is missing gatso 65, mobile var and specs var in the Euro alerts. Could type in my own for these. It looks as if the sex of the voice is going to change, for some of these alerts. I wonder if it might be better removing Kate, which was pre-installed and I'm not keen on, and replacing with Simon.
newtomoneowner
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Mon Jun 13, 2011 8:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You could try recording your own warnings, me personally i got naffed off with some women bleating on about cameras every time i got near one and just chose to have my satnav go "moo" or "boing".

(im sure DennisN will be round with a witty comment about that)
DennisN
Tired Old Man
Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Mon Jun 13, 2011 8:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

newtomoneowner wrote:
You could try recording your own warnings, me personally i got naffed off with some women bleating on about cameras every time i got near one and just chose to have my satnav go "moo" or "boing".

(im sure DennisN will be round with a witty comment about that)

I've tried moo, bong, boyoyoyonggg, siren, horn, cuckoo and another six different ones for the Tom Tom cameras. It would be a shame that I have to have a piece of paper with the sounds translated (cuckoo = fixed) because I can't remember which one is for which camera type, but for the fact that the TT cameras have simply stopped working, update them as much as I may!!Joker

But anyway, back to topic, on a laptop with a microphone and the free program Audacity, I created recordings of my grandchildren warning me for one of my sets of cameras - "Siren (dive, dive, dive), Wake up Dennis, Speed/Mobile etc camera ahead!" Vera loves it - got me loadsa brownie points and a nice cake! Supreme Angel Cake

If it tastes good - it's fattening.

Two of them are obesiting!!
aw
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Jun 14, 2011 10:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you for all your advice.

I am mixing the voice alerts for the Euro speedcams, using what is available to download plus typing in my own. I don't think the finished result is going to sound as good as the UK voice alerts. The voices are going to change sex for some of the speedcams and others are going to be computerised.

While I understand that the voices for download were not done by this site, would it not be an idea to have a complete set of Euro voice alerts, using one of the same voices as the UK alerts.

It is important for me to have voice alerts for speedcams as the icons on the map can easily be missed.

I appreciate the database for speedcams changes, but the types of speedcams, in the downloads, seem to be the same.

Would it be possible for one of the people who did the original UK recordings, to record, or amend, the Euro voice alerts? This would then enable people to have UK and Euro voice alerts in the same voice. Currently this is not possible.
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Jun 14, 2011 10:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think we need to look at this whole area. It was always offered as a free add-on rather than a core part of the service. Also the large variety of devices with varying levels of support for voice alerts makes managing it problematic.

But we may have to look at offering a choice of 1 x male and 1 x female voice set in Uk & Euro for Garmin and TomTom as our official download and deprecate all the rest as extras options for the 'twiddlers'.
Calomax
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 14, 2011 6:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Darren wrote:
I think we need to look at this whole area. It was always offered as a free add-on rather than a core part of the service. Also the large variety of devices with varying levels of support for voice alerts makes managing it problematic.

But we may have to look at offering a choice of 1 x male and 1 x female voice set in Uk & Euro for Garmin and TomTom as our official download and deprecate all the rest as extras options for the 'twiddlers'.
That would be wonderful.
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Jun 14, 2011 9:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Calomax wrote:
Darren wrote:

But we may have to look at offering a choice of 1 x male and 1 x female voice set in Uk & Euro for Garmin and TomTom as our official download

That would be wonderful.

Let the discussions begin....

What should these "preferred" voice sets actually say?

The reason I made my own voice set (the "Simon" voice download) was because I thought all the existing ones were FAR too "wordy".

e.g. "Warning... This is an average speed camera zone....... speed limit thirty miles an hour"

On the other hand, my Simon just says "{chime} SPECS... Thirty"

What do people actually want, and do they all want the same?

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: