Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - New Wide-Range Average Speed Camera System Approved
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

New Wide-Range Average Speed Camera System Approved
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> News And Latest Information
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sat May 14, 2011 6:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've never understood this feeling that it's scary and dangerous to change lanes... Isn't that what driving lessons and a lifetime's experience is supposed to teach you?

If they can change lanes quite happily when THEY want to, why not do it for the good of everyone else?

Once you start working on the principle of trying to keep left as much as possible it's all so simple.

(Edited as the original came across REALLY rude - apologies.)

Last edited by Andy_P on Sat May 14, 2011 8:48 pm; edited 1 time in total
BigPerk
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sat May 14, 2011 7:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, I certainly don't like the genuine middle lane hoggers on a not-too-busy motorway, mainly because it means that to be safe and legal, when I am on the inside lane I have to pull right across two lanes and back again. Not a fair reward for following the Highway Code, methinks Rolling Eyes

Even if they are doing 70, I don't think that gives them a god-given right to close off three all lanes of the motorway!
DennisN
Tired Old Man
Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Sat May 14, 2011 10:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Andy_P wrote:
I've never understood this feeling that it's scary and dangerous to change lanes... Isn't that what driving lessons and a lifetime's experience is supposed to teach you?

Sure, BUT - Skippy's a biker and I consider two wheels less stable than four - and I have fallen off a bike. I don't criticise, but I have to say I feel a strange discomfort when I see bikers weaving from lane to lane, whether ahead or behind me - it only takes one loose cats eye or a blob of spilt diesel to make a mockery of the best balanced rider in the world. Worst is behind if they are also popping in and out of my blind spot. I often think those signs Think Biker could benefit from the addition of Think Blindspot.

If it tastes good - it's fattening.

Two of them are obesiting!!
BigPerk
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sun May 15, 2011 12:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
I often think those signs Think Biker could benefit from the addition of Think Blindspot.
How about "Think Car", for a change? Stop it!

We always seem to be expected to take account of minorities, on the road I mean, rather than them take account of the majority Love it !
sussamb
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Sun May 15, 2011 9:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

BigPerk wrote:
Even if they are doing 70, I don't think that gives them a god-given right to close off three all lanes of the motorway!

Quite right. And they have to realise that generally speedometers overread, often by about 5 mph at 70, so what's 70 to a middle lane hogger is actually slower than the posted limit. Evil or Very Mad
M8TJT
The Other Tired Old Man
The Other Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Sun May 15, 2011 9:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

BigPerk wrote:
We always seem to be expected to take account of minorities, on the road I mean, rather than them take account of the majority Love it !
We always seem to be expected to take account of any minority these days, rather than them take account of the majority. So much so that the Government has passed loads of laws that oblige us to Confused
Bob_W
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sun May 22, 2011 8:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,

Why is it everyone says it is the speeding road users that are the only pain and cause all the accidents? What about the drivers that drive so slow people may have to take a risk and overtake.

The other day eg I was driving in a 40 mph area with a clear road and good driving conditions, I was the third car down, the first driver was driving at 20 mph why? No reason at all! I have been in this situation many times, now if only the second car would just overtake (when safe to do so) I would then also be able to overtake safely, but no, why is it these days people just seem unwilling to overtake? So let's go back to the other day, I can see many people taking chances and trying to overtake two cars.

Then there are the drivers that just sit at the traffic lights when they have gone to green, as did the driver above, did the driver in the second car sound his horn, NO he just sat there! I did also notice that the driver of that car was getting on in years, I am 64 and he was alot older than me! This is the problem with "some" of the older drivers, they drive and think at the speed they can walk at, which isn't very quick.

Now why are there so many delays at traffic lights and roundabouts in this country, because drivers sit so far back! One, two or three car lengths and then take so long to start moving off..... you tell me? I don't know how these drivers would go on in Singapore, Hong Kong and Australia, those places would just come to a complete STOP?

So what do any of you think about the above does anyone agree there just too many SLOW drivers on our roads, I am happy to drive and keep to the speed limit when safe to do so. I also think that you should have to drive at a safe speed withing the speed limits, drive too slow and you get an on the spot ticket, don't indicate just get a fine?

Bob_W
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2011 12:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bob_W wrote:
why is it these days people just seem unwilling to overtake?

I think a lot of that is down to how the powers that be have made it all but impossible to overtake on many roads (with continual bollards double white lines and cross-hatching or red tarmac along the central division). People have simply got out of practice!

Bob_W wrote:
did the driver in the second car sound his horn, NO he just sat there!

THAT's probably down to a sensible desire to not become a 'road-rage ' casualty!
Bob_W
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2011 12:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Andy_P wrote:
Bob_W wrote:
why is it these days people just seem unwilling to overtake?

I think a lot of that is down to how the powers that be have made it all but impossible to overtake on many roads (with continual bollards double white lines and cross-hatching or red tarmac along the central division). People have simply got out of practice!

Bob_W wrote:
did the driver in the second car sound his horn, NO he just sat there!

THAT's probably down to a sensible desire to not become a 'road-rage ' casualty!

Hi Andy_P,

I see your point re "road rage" but someone had the wake the pensioners up! If you ever drive in Australia, if people don't move off when the lights turn to green instantly "everyone" sounds their horn. I really wish people in the UK would drive as they do in Asia an Australia, then we would have more courteous drivers and less holdups!

Bob_W
M8TJT
The Other Tired Old Man
The Other Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2011 8:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bob_W wrote:
If you ever drive in Australia, if people don't move off when the lights turn to green instantly "everyone" sounds their horn. I really wish people in the UK would drive as they do in Asia an Australia, then we would have more courteous drivers and less holdups
You would change your mind about that if you lived next to a set of lights. Impatient people who sound their horn if the person in front does not take off at warp factor 3 really p*** me off. It is not only unneccesary and anti social (mild road rage?) but is also specifically prohibited in the HC.
HC wrote:

The Highway Code - Rule 92
The horn. Use only while your vehicle is moving and you need to warn other road users of your presence. Never sound your horn aggressively. You MUST NOT use your horn

:while stationary on the road
:when driving in a built up area between the hours of 11.30 pm and 7.00 am

except when another vehicle poses a danger.

And not moving off the instant the lights turn green does not comes under the 'except when another vehicle poses a danger' clause.
So let's all be a bit more patient, and have consideration for other people, not only other drivers, but also local residents.

. Surely we don't want the driving experience in UK to be like that whilst driving in Hong Kong Shocked
MaFt
Pocket GPS Staff
Pocket GPS Staff

PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2011 9:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

M8TJT wrote:
You MUST NOT use your horn

OK, I'm at the lights. The car in front hasn't set off on green so I start driving. I am now not stationary and the vehicle in font poses a danger as I'm going to drive into it. I can now sound my horn legally Very Happy

MaFt
M8TJT
The Other Tired Old Man
The Other Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2011 10:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

MaFt wrote:
M8TJT wrote:

OK, I'm at the lights. The car in front hasn't set off on green so I start driving. I am now not stationary and the vehicle in font poses a danger as I'm going to drive into it. I can now sound my horn legally :grin:MaFt
Probably. But the best bet is to just run into the back of it and then explain that it wasn't your fault to your insurance company:grin:
Guivre46
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2011 10:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Andy_P wrote:
People have simply got out of practice!

They've also got out of practice with being overtaken, in fact some drivers don't like it, and deliberately try to obstruct you. I had a very close shave the other day, when I was nearly forced off into the off-side ditch.
Kia In-dash Tomtom
sussamb
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2011 2:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

M8TJT wrote:
MaFt wrote:
M8TJT wrote:

OK, I'm at the lights. The car in front hasn't set off on green so I start driving. I am now not stationary and the vehicle in font poses a danger as I'm going to drive into it. I can now sound my horn legally :grin:MaFt
Probably. But the best bet is to just run into the back of it and then explain that it wasn't your fault to your insurance company:grin:

You'll be lucky ... you're assumed to be at fault if you run into the back of someone.
Bob_W
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2011 3:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

M8TJT wrote:
Bob_W wrote:
If you ever drive in Australia, if people don't move off when the lights turn to green instantly "everyone" sounds their horn. I really wish people in the UK would drive as they do in Asia an Australia, then we would have more courteous drivers and less holdups
You would change your mind about that if you lived next to a set of lights. Impatient people who sound their horn if the person in front does not take off at warp factor 3 really p*** me off. It is not only unneccesary and anti social (mild road rage?) but is also specifically prohibited in the HC.
HC wrote:

The Highway Code - Rule 92
The horn. Use only while your vehicle is moving and you need to warn other road users of your presence. Never sound your horn aggressively. You MUST NOT use your horn

:when driving in a built up area between the hours of 11.30 pm and 7.00 am

And not moving off the instant the lights turn green does not comes under the 'except when another vehicle poses a danger' clause.
So let's all be a bit more patient, and have consideration for other people, not only other drivers, but also local residents.

. Surely we don't want the driving experience in UK to be like that whilst driving in Hong Kong Shocked

Hi M8TJT,

Now if it were only a few seconds I would agree with you, but when you are sitting there for 15 to 20 seconds and they are still sitting there what am I supposed to do wait for the lights to go back to red?

Yes I know you are not allowed to sound your horn between the hours of 07:00 and 23:30 when stationary, I got done for that as a 18 year old motorbike rider!

So what "is" wrong with the driving in Hong Kong? I never see any problems, I was there only a few months back and go back on a regular basis?

One of the best places to drive is Australia, people are more aggressive drivers but they are also helpful and courteous. If you are driving in a lane and need to move out due to slow traffic etc, it's a quick check of the mirror, indicate, move out and drivers let you in. Try driving like that in the UK, B A N G!

Bob_W

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> News And Latest Information All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 5 of 6

Jump to: