Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Amazon Live prepaid card
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Amazon Live prepaid card
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
phillevy
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Apr 20, 2011 9:39 am    Post subject: Amazon Live prepaid card Reply with quote

I've always paid monthly for live services, but recently got an email from TT stating that my services will come to an end in a few weeks and I could renew for £47. However I just saw on Amazon a prepaid card for £29.99. Will this be easy to activate as I don't have much confidence in TT being able to cope with any changes to my current arrangement?
jadonx
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue May 03, 2011 5:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just used this card bough from amazon. Very easy to update via Home.

Just entered card number in "use my activation code" box, I chose UK live services at next page, then downloaded updates. I then followed instruction to log into my account(my prefs., my tomtom account) from device after unplugging from home.

Services now working again, seems to be a bargain! Wink
Curious
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Wed May 04, 2011 10:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I did exactly the same as 'jadonx' and as 'jadonx' no problem at all.
However I have never paid monthly for the services for the very reason 'phillevy' is asking the question, I have read that TT are not very good at stopping taken money from an account.
I would in these circumstances purchase the card from Amazon and at the same time cancel any direct debits you have with TT, once your confident that the payments have stopped / cleared then use TT home and activate the Live Services card.

PS one point I should mention, TT fee of £47 is for all the countries on your GPS, ie Europe inc UK and the Amazon is for 1 area only, ie UK
MrT
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Wed May 04, 2011 11:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Curious wrote:
PS one point I should mention, TT fee of £47 is for all the countries on your GPS, ie Europe inc UK and the Amazon is for 1 area only, ie UK

Are you sure on that, I have never seen any regional live services offering apart from before the roaming was announced? My UK pre-paid card offers me services in Europe.
jadonx
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed May 04, 2011 7:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MrT wrote:
Curious wrote:

Last year in France- I searched google live for "tyre" and it translated to the French word "Pneu" and found what I was looking for.

I think this is the purpose of selecting country of origin. I plan to go back shortly so will test out.
lyskamm
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri May 06, 2011 10:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Curious wrote:

However I have never paid monthly for the services for the very reason 'phillevy' is asking the question,

Tomtom stopped montly subscriptions 1 year ago.

Quote:

Not true. These card are valid for all (8 in the case of x50/x40) Live Countries.
There is no "regional" subscription available (only France was offering it in the past but it is now discontinued)
phillevy
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Tue May 10, 2011 4:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I knew TT would make this as complicated as possible Evil or Very Mad I got the card but it wont activate - I get "an error has occured" - according to TT support it's because my monthly payment hasn't been manually cancelled, but to do this I have to wait whilst they escalate my support request. I don't think it's asking too much for their system to recognise that when a year's credit has been added that monthly payments would stop automatically.
matthewj
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Wed May 11, 2011 8:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

phillevy wrote:
I don't think it's asking too much for their system to recognise that when a year's credit has been added that monthly payments would stop automatically.

Oh, how sweetly naive. Smile

You'll find that stopping the monthly subscription doesn't happen in an orderly manner. But make sure that they are aware you have activated your code, so that when the monthly sub does stop, they give you the full year. My fear would be that the subscriptions all stop, and then you find that the activation code doesn't work any more as it has already been used. Make sure that the code is on TomTom's system, and it is clear you have applied it. Then you have evidence that it was you that applied it, and deserve the full year credit.

It just might all work out though.
phillevy
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Fri May 13, 2011 11:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

matthewj wrote:

Oh, how sweetly naive. Smile

You'll find that stopping the monthly subscription doesn't happen in an orderly manner. But make sure that they are aware you have activated your code, so that when the monthly sub does stop, they give you the full year. My fear would be that the subscriptions all stop, and then you find that the activation code doesn't work any more as it has already been used. Make sure that the code is on TomTom's system, and it is clear you have applied it. Then you have evidence that it was you that applied it, and deserve the full year credit.

It just might all work out though.

Not naive at all as you will see I expected this to happen in my OP. I just hoped that I might be wrong as the prospect of a year for 30 was too good to ignore. There is no chance of it not eventually activating as the system wont accept it at all at the moment. Also TT support have been given the code from me and are supposed to be sorting it - I'm still waiting to hear back after 5 days so far Sad
BorisBlank
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu May 19, 2011 11:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

having just bought a new TomTom, I have free Live for a year but, can I buy the Amazon card and activate it in a years time when the free subscription runs out?
MrT
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu May 19, 2011 2:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can, but you can also run the risk of TomTom changing the service or price.

They reduced the price around a year ago but for those who had already bought a prepaid card they offered extra duration of service to compensate, but that is no guarantee that they will do it again.
BorisBlank
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu May 19, 2011 7:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good points! I'll mull them over and probably sit tight I think.
Thanks.
robbooth
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Fri May 20, 2011 7:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It was my impression last time I used a card to top up the 940 that it just got 'added on' to whatever end date you currently had - eg current live services end date of Nov 2011, use 12mth card, new end date Nov 2012?

See this thread 3rd message from the end, pg2.
JockTamsonsBairn
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Fri May 20, 2011 2:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rob, when linking to a particular post in a thread, you can right-click and "copy link address" on the small page icon to the left of the word posted. That will give you a link to the specific post.

Which reminds me, time to look for a new renewal card Smile

TomTom Go 940 LIVE (9.510, Europe v915.5074 on SD & 8.371, WCE v875.3613 on board)
robbooth
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Fri May 20, 2011 2:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

JockTamsonsBairn wrote:
Rob, when linking to a particular post in a thread, you can right-click and "copy link address" on the small page icon to the left of the word posted. That will give you a link to the specific post.

Nice one, it's so small I've never noticed it! Laughing

Not going for the Amazon one then?

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: