Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Satmap Active 10 Plus-To buy or not to Buy!!??
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Satmap Active 10 Plus-To buy or not to Buy!!??

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Satmap Active 10
View previous topic :: View next topic  
keithwaugh
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Apr 11, 2011 12:56 pm    Post subject: Satmap Active 10 Plus-To buy or not to Buy!!?? Reply with quote

I am considering the purchase of a Satmap Active 10 Plus having just returned a MM Adventurer 3500 after 6 months of use with very variable results and issues. My Retailer took the Adv3500 back without question and gave me a FULL refund.

So, is the Satmap Active 10 Plus worth buying? Does it really do the job? Is it fit for purpose? Has it been fully field tested by the manufacturer? Does the software really work? Are there regular upgrades? Do the upgrades appear when the Manufacturer says they will appear or do you get the "run around"? All comment and advice gratefully received.
nonoftheabove
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Apr 11, 2011 1:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

it depends what/how you are going to use it.
with all techy toys are are several issues that forum members have had recourse to make a mention about.
the seal on the usb port
the problem of dampness and the screen .
the viability of the connector for the rechargable unit.
these are all topics that have generated plenty of angst.

software upgrades keep on coming out

BUT i still am very happy with my unit after owning it for a number of years; i just take a bit more care to overcome the above areas of concern
sussamb
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Mon Apr 11, 2011 2:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Agreed, we can hardly advise whether it's good for you unless we know how you plan to use it Smile

I have a basic Garmin Etrex Legend H, it does all I want it for, has free maps and contours loaded and came in at just over £100. Would I pay more? No, not for how I use it. But my use might be very different to yours.
keithwaugh
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Apr 11, 2011 2:56 pm    Post subject: Satmap Active 10 Plus-To buy or not to Buy!!?? Reply with quote

Thanks for the comments. My use is for hill walking, primarily as an aid to navigation instead of pulling out the easily torn paper map and proper compass. I often plan walks on Memory Map V5 and upload the Gpx files to the GPS or use Gpx routes from various walking websites. I like to log details of my hill walks in a similar manner to keeping a detailed log of my scuba diving activities. Recently on a walk on the new and not yet opened "3 Lochs Way", my now returned MM Adv3500 proved quite useful(inspite of its problems), as I had uploaded the "3 Lochs Way" supposed route. Just as well, as route markers on the ground actually ran out about 3 miles in.

I hope that this is sufficient information for members to provide more appropriate advice. Thanks again.
sussamb
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Mon Apr 11, 2011 3:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sounds like you use yours exactly as I use mine, so I'm not sure you have to spend as much as you're suggesting, although if you're committed to using MemoryMap then I guess you'll need something slightly more capable than my Etrex. Just to give you a feel for it, it has a 4 greyscale screen (so no colour) but I can download maps and use freely available websites to plan routes, downloading them as you do as a .gpx file. I bought mine initially as a sort of back up to my paper map, but now once I have the route loaded onto it use it as my primary navigation aid, only getting the map out when I have to.

I always carry a map, so didn't see the point in buying an all singing all dancing GPS with full colour mapping.
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Apr 11, 2011 4:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

To be honest as you are used to using OS maps in the electronic format on a device anything alse will seem a step backwards in terms of display and information presented.

As you have Memory Map have you considered a PDA with built in GPS fitted in to a rugged case from Otter-Box, not as good looking as the Active10 but works very well, great mapping display and will work out far cheaper as you already have the maps which can be loaded straight across to the PDA - Mike
keithwaugh
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Apr 12, 2011 10:07 am    Post subject: Satmap Active 10 Plus-To buy or not to Reply with quote

Thank you for taking the time to reply and for your observations. You have given me food for thought.
FrequentFlyer
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 13, 2011 8:10 pm    Post subject: Mines OK.. Reply with quote

nonoftheabove wrote:
it depends what/how you are going to use it.
with all techy toys are are several issues that forum members have had recourse to make a mention about.
the seal on the usb port
the problem of dampness and the screen .
the viability of the connector for the rechargable unit.
these are all topics that have generated plenty of angst.

software upgrades keep on coming out

BUT i still am very happy with my unit after owning it for a number of years; i just take a bit more care to overcome the above areas of concern

I'm on year 4, and have had none of these issues...(and I walk a lot....15.5 miles today, and have saved many, many routes.)
nonoftheabove
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Apr 14, 2011 7:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

in my response to the initial poster
i listed a few of the problems that keep cropping up over the years on the forum .
personally the only problem that i have had is dampness and the screen and the device had to go back to Satmap to be refurbished.
it would appear from the posters needs and requirements that another device might best suite his needs and requirements.
As i stated its what you want the device to do and how you would use it in conjuntion with other items that you might already own.
Gibbo10
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Apr 14, 2011 6:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great unit, buy it you won't be disappointed. It hardly ever gets beaten in tests, consistently comes out on top. Is used by many mountain rescues etc etc.

But, if you have a digital mapping solution already then you may just want to consider the active 10 not the plus version. I don't think the world map is much good personally, no detail in it. The online route planner is ok but nothing special and OS get a map have just launched one that is virtually the same.
My Blog Geocache Trails
keithwaugh
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Apr 23, 2011 4:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, I bought a Satmap Active 10 and I must say I'm delighted with it. I used it "for real" a few days ago on the Buachaille Etive Mor Ridge and it worked brilliantly. I would agree with another poster that the mini usb connector in the base of the Satmap unit is a little fragile looking, but if treated with care and respect, it should be ok. Let's face it, many different items of electronics use these connectors these days. The Industry needs to come up with something more robust.

One question. There seems to be no specific protocol for correct shutdown and disconnect from a Computer when up/downloading data from the Satmap via Satsync to a computer. Does anyone know of a correct procedure or can it really be "random"? The last thing I need is to "crash" and damage software!!!
FrequentFlyer
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 23, 2011 6:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I always close down Satsync first..
nonoftheabove
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Apr 24, 2011 7:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i always use the facilitry on the computer to disconnect an external device.
on the lower bar hover the pointer over the arrow head(SHOW HIDDEN ICONS). This gives an 'expanded' range of options.
The external storage device etc is shown there
keithwaugh
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Dec 10, 2011 12:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Still enjoying my Satmap Active 10. Been up a number of hills with my route programmed in to the unit from Memory Map and it is brilliant. Used it on the Speyside Way and again brilliant. Only one minor issue. It is best to save data each day on a long distance walk and start each day with a fresh file. Satmap doesn't seem to like downloading vey large files. Some of the data can get lost.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Satmap Active 10 All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: