Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - BRODIT ITEM 215470 active mount for TomTom 1005
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

BRODIT ITEM 215470 active mount for TomTom 1005
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
LesP2008
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 19, 2011 8:54 pm    Post subject: BRODIT ITEM 215470 active mount for TomTom 1005 Reply with quote

I have just received my mount from DSLDevelopments and whilst i am happy with the item it is not BRODIT at all but merely a TomTom item marked TomTom and in a TomTom box.
I have had to wait for these to arrive from Sweden and paid the DSL price when i could have ordered from Tom Tom at a cheaper price and probably recieved it sooner.
Anybody contemplating ordering one just bear this in mind the item is not Brodit although you will need the Brodit Proclip to mount it.
Having had my whinge i must say it is a very good mount and is rock solid.
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Jan 19, 2011 9:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

One other option is to use the mount supplied with the device but slightly modify it to fit on the Brodit "Ball" there is some additional information in This Thread, I haven't published the Go-1000/ 1005 mount conversion as yet but I can assure you it works in the same way as all the other conversions published to date.
Whilst this is a cheaper way to mount the 1000/ 1005 on to a Brodit Pro-Clip it won't give you the audio line output socket like you get with the true "Brodit mount" from TomTom, but if all you want is a dash mount its a very viable option worth considering - Mike
JaguarV12e
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Jan 19, 2011 9:51 pm    Post subject: Re: BRODIT ITEM 215470 active mount for TomTom 1005 Reply with quote

LesP2008 wrote:
i could have ordered from Tom Tom at a cheaper price and probably recieved it sooner.
I ordered one from tt on Dec 30, and it has still not been shipped.
Chrisc
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Jan 20, 2011 12:13 am    Post subject: Re: BRODIT ITEM 215470 active mount for TomTom 1005 Reply with quote

LesP2008 wrote:
I have just received my mount from DSLDevelopments and whilst i am happy with the item it is not BRODIT at all but merely a TomTom item marked TomTom and in a TomTom box.
I have had to wait for these to arrive from Sweden and paid the DSL price when i could have ordered from Tom Tom at a cheaper price and probably recieved it sooner.
Anybody contemplating ordering one just bear this in mind the item is not Brodit although you will need the Brodit Proclip to mount it.
Having had my whinge i must say it is a very good mount and is rock solid.

I have just received mine from DSL too, it is marked tomtom but it came in a Brodit bag and box! As I see it there are two issues with this mount, the first is there is no way to lock the angle of the ball joint, and the second is that when demounting the unit it moves causing a readjustment every time. This will in time wear the ball and socket and the unit will not stay where you want it.

The USB cable supplied also fouls the pro clip making adjustment in some areas impossible. Definitely not up to the usual Brodit standard.w Idea
TTG 700 (dead)

Kind Regards
ChrisC
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Jan 20, 2011 1:34 pm    Post subject: Re: BRODIT ITEM 215470 active mount for TomTom 1005 Reply with quote

LesP2008 wrote:

To clarify, it's a collaboration between Brodit and TomTom. But there does seem to be a huge variation in pricing for this mount with TomTom being very cheap for a change.

I've seen prices as high as £55 on one site, DSL is £43 and TomTom £35 although I think that's a promotional price as it was £40+ last time I checked there.

I've bodged mine as per Mike's tip using a Brodit Ball. It needed some packing to keep it stiff but it works.

Last edited by Darren on Thu Jan 20, 2011 1:39 pm; edited 1 time in total
LesP2008
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 21, 2011 2:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I too have noticed this. Where my mount for my 930 had a similar swivel it was a much neater unit. the ball system on the new mount does make it stick out a bit but perhaps im lucky mine is rock solid even when dismounting the unit
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Jan 21, 2011 3:56 pm    Post subject: Re: BRODIT ITEM 215470 active mount for TomTom 1005 Reply with quote

Chrisc wrote:
I have just received mine from DSL too, it is marked tomtom but it came in a Brodit bag and box! As I see it there are two issues with this mount, the first is there is no way to lock the angle of the ball joint, and the second is that when demounting the unit it moves causing a readjustment every time. This will in time wear the ball and socket and the unit will not stay where you want it.

The USB cable supplied also fouls the pro clip making adjustment in some areas impossible. Definitely not up to the usual Brodit standard.w Idea

It's an odd one, I'll check with Brodit but I think that Brodit make the ball mount and the plate that affixes to your ProClip and TomTom manufacture the cradle itself. It's certainly not as well thought out as other Brodit solutions but with TomTom insisting on using their proprietary connector, Brodit may have had little choice but to partner.

However, even Brodit's normal adjustable ball joint mounts have no facility to lock them in place, they all rely on friction, but you can adjust it by tightening the screw, something you cannot do with this design here.

Regarding the USB cable, does it exit to the rear of the mount?
Chrisc
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Jan 21, 2011 7:56 pm    Post subject: Re: BRODIT ITEM 215470 active mount for TomTom 1005 Reply with quote

The USB connector comes out of the rear of the mount. The mount is L shaped and the conector and audio out fit into the junction on the horizontal and vertical.

I must admit I am none too impressed with the quality!

I paid £32 for mine i think via Amazon.
TTG 700 (dead)

Kind Regards
ChrisC

Last edited by Chrisc on Fri Jan 21, 2011 10:31 pm; edited 2 times in total
WackyRaces
Banned

PostPosted: Fri Jan 21, 2011 9:22 pm    Post subject: Re: BRODIT ITEM 215470 active mount for TomTom 1005 Reply with quote

Darren wrote:
I've seen prices as high as £55 on one site, DSL is £43 and TomTom £35 although I think that's a promotional price as it was £40+ last time I checked there.

The mount seems to be £32.94 including delivery on the TomTom website but you should get £2.20 cashback (8% on the pre VAT price) a few months later if you start your visit to the TomTom website after first joining up at www.topcashback.co.uk So that takes the net price down to £30.74

It would have been cheaper still if the £8 cashback off items from the TomTom website shop promotion that was running in November and December had been utilised. But I expect TomTom won't have another offer like that for several more months.

I don't know what their justification is for charging more than for the x40/x50 series Brodit clip compatible mount when it actually seems to be more flimsy. I suppose it will mainly come down to this being their newest fixed in car mount.
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Apr 10, 2011 12:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mikealder wrote:
I haven't published the Go-1000/ 1005 mount conversion as yet but I can assure you it works in the same way as all the other conversions published to date.

Here is how to convert the Go-1000 mount to dash mount (Brodit/ Proclip) at minimal cost:

All thats needed is a Brodit Pro-Clip to suit your car and the Brodit "Ball" intended for use with the iPhone car kit, a torx size 5 screwdriver and a small Philips screw driver.

Start by removing the two size 5 Torx screws from the back cover of the Go-1000 mounting shoe:

With both screws removed which can be fiddly as they get held in place due to the magnets but they do come out. Using nothing more than your thumb nails part the two sections of the mount:

With the front cover removed you can also remove the large magnet, this is handy to stop those little screws from rolling around on the table and getting lost!

The rear section of the mount shoe is next to remove, using the small Philips head screwdriver simply release the four screws that hold it in place:

Push the black "collar" back towards the windscreen sucker to reveal access to the translucent ball cover:

Pull the translucent ball cover off the windscreen mount:

Finally pull the black collar off the ball, note this can be a little stiff but will come off with gentle force:

Now you start the process of rebuilding your mount on to the Brodit Ball:

First slide the black collar over the "ball":

Next is the translucent ball cover which is pushed in to place, look at the next photograph before pushing this part in to place:

Take care to make sure the keyway is in the correct position, looking at the picture you can see the small notch in the translucent ball cover at the six o' clock position, if you don't get this notch and key-way correct the mount will be floppy when built up:

Re-fit the rear portion of the mount shoe using the four Philips head screws, these need to be tight:

Fit the main magnet into the front cover before snapping the front portion of the mounting shoe back in position, once secure re-fit the two size 5 Torx screws in the rear of the holder:

Fit the Pro-Clip/ Brodit 1K mount in to your car, and fit the power cable supplied with the device to the mount, note in my installation the power cable is routed out of sight through the airvent which makes for a very neat installation devoid of cables all over the inside of the car:

Finally pop the unit on the mount and away you go:

Mike
Mr-B
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Apr 13, 2011 9:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So let me get this right - this is a method of using the Brodit iphone mount 533091 (cost £20) to convert the existing TT suction mount, instead of the Brodit TT100x mount 215470 (cost £44)?
(I couldn't see any mention of Brodit mounts on the TT site.)
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Apr 13, 2011 9:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes but they are quite different. The more expensive mount has line out on its rear and is a one piece mount with dock connector built-in rather than using the two-part mount supplied with the GO 100x.

If you don't need the line out though, then the cheaper solution does much the same in the end.
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Apr 13, 2011 4:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

And don't forget to factor in the cost of a replacement car charger lead if you go with the Full Brodit mount from TomTom with the line-out connector as that needs a mini-USB style car charger, my method avoids the extra cost of the car charger cable by using the cable supplied with the device - Mike
Mr-B
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Apr 13, 2011 5:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As I mentioned before I can't find a Brodit mount on the TT site.

However the Brodit 215470 adapter seen on other sites (cheapest I've found is £36) does come with a cigarette lighter charger cable. I'm prolly going for this as it means it's easier to keep the original suction mount intact for use in other cars and the original USB cable for use with the PC.
IanS100
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Apr 13, 2011 5:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mikealder wrote:
And don't forget to factor in the cost of a replacement car charger lead if you go with the Full Brodit mount from TomTom with the line-out connector as that needs a mini-USB style car charger, my method avoids the extra cost of the car charger cable by using the cable supplied with the device - Mike

What kind of power connector does the original TomTom mount use?

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: