Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Tomtom 1000 - Itineraries and Navigate to POI
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Tomtom 1000 - Itineraries and Navigate to POI

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
mark1968
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Apr 09, 2011 7:27 pm    Post subject: Tomtom 1000 - Itineraries and Navigate to POI Reply with quote

I am looking a tomtom 1000 but have read in forums that the option for Itinerary Planning and navigating to POI is not available on the device.

However I have been into a shop today and have had a play with one of their demo units and this had both the above features available.

Can someone please confirm if this has been issued as an update for the range or if this is something new.

Regards

Mark
dhn
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Apr 09, 2011 7:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Itinerary Planning is definitely NOT being offered at this time on 1X, 2X or Via models.
jmcmtank
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 10, 2011 7:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can still plan a route and limited navigate-to-POI is available; ie one near to your location, one near to Home and the last one you used.
technik
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 10, 2011 4:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Itinerary Planning is not currently available but 'should be' in future.

Navigate to POI works just as it does in any other TomTom.

Navigate to POI near you...Navigate to POI near destination.
andy-c1
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 10, 2011 8:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

my year is up for the 750 but have decided against updating mainly because it ain't working right ...well mostly that and it is cheaper to buy the traffic /maps for another year as there isn't really anything wrong with my 750...
I reckon in these hard times make do with what you got Shocked
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Apr 11, 2011 10:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

technik wrote:

Navigate to POI works just as it does in any other TomTom.

Navigate to POI near you...Navigate to POI near destination.

Not quite true....

On "normal" TomToms with previous software versions, all of the options of "Near Home", "Near destination" etc. for POIs only showed you the 48 nearest items (8 screens of 6), but you were always able to use "Find" to search the entire list.
I use that technique all the time.

I thought it had been IMPROVED in Navcore 10 models such as the Go1000/1005 and VIAs as it now shows the nearest 96 places (16 screens of 6).

But the "FIND" feature doesn't work any more. If you try to "find" a POI that is more than 50 miles away, the TomTom denies it exists, (and this is the case for both user-POIs and the built-in categories).

The upshot of this is you need to know a town or city where you think the TT might have listed your desired POI.... No necessarily easy!

Here's an example I have been using to demonstrate the problem:

Example:
I want to drive to "Humberside Airport" from London.
But I do not know which "city" Humberside Airport is in.

I always used to be able to choose "Airport" in "POI near home", (knowing it wouldn't show very distant ones in the list), as I could always use the "Find" feature to find ANY entry in the POI category.

On Navcore 9, this is no problem at all. Put the first few letters of "Humber..." into "Find" and Humberside Airport is shown - 142 miles from London and I can instantly select it to travel to.

But now on Navcore 10 on a Go 1000, if I search for "Humberside" in the Airport POI list "near Home" the TomTom cannot find it and just reports "no POI found". DISASTER!

Obviously, I could search for "Airports near Grimsby", but ONLY if I already knew that Humberside airport was near that town.
Unfortunately I didn't know that, and if I didn't then why should a TomTom-owning visitor to the country be expected to know?

The worst thing is that TomTom insist this is not a bug, but a "as designed" feature.
Only by people complaining direct to TomTom can we get this situation corrected!

Last edited by Andy_P on Mon Apr 11, 2011 10:47 am; edited 1 time in total
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Apr 11, 2011 10:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Anyway... back to mark1968's original post. Are you sure you saw itinerary planning on this shop model?
IanS100
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Apr 11, 2011 3:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It'd be even worse trying to get to none geographic name like Center Parcs knowing only that it's somewhere off the M6 way ooop north. Maybe TomTom thinks we should all be planning our journeys on an A-Z before leaving home or using Google to locate destinations. This is another good reason for holding back on upgrading to their latest models, I think I'll be holding on to the 550 for a while yet
mark1968
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Apr 16, 2011 11:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am sure it was a 1000 I was playing with in store. I have been away on holiday so have not been back to the store will try to over the weekend. I'll update you when i do.
mark1968
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Apr 17, 2011 10:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have been back into the store and you chaps are right itinerary navigation was missing!

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: