Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
SurfShark VPN for Streaming TV
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - HP warranty on 'Grey Market' HP 4150?
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

HP warranty on 'Grey Market' HP 4150?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Retailers to buy from or avoid
View previous topic :: View next topic  
steved
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Aug 12, 2004 5:52 pm    Post subject: HP warranty on 'Grey Market' HP 4150? Reply with quote

I bought an HP 4150 iPAQ from globalpositioningsystems.co.uk a few months ago. On their web page it clearly states:

"HP GUARANTEED
All our HP products carry full UK Technical Support & Warranty"

However, on totalpda.co.uk's web page, it has the following warning:

"HP WARRANTY ALERT
This product is 100% Genuine with FULL UK/European Warranty.
Beware other sites selling products from the grey market often stating full warranty & authenticity.

ALWAYS check the part number before purchasing as anything other than ABU is grey market.

Grey Stock part numbers are: UUF; ARE; ABA
HP have stated that these will NOT now receive any UK/European Warranty."

My part has an ARE serial number, so would appear to be a "grey market" part.

Does anyone know the exact position from HP? What is the legal position for globalpositioningsystems if anything goes wrong? Or is this a case of totalpda.co.uk scaremongering to gain business?

Steve.
alan338
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Aug 12, 2004 8:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It seems to me that there's some scaremongering going on.

HP offer a Worldwide Warrantly on their iPAQ products. The stock part is irrelevant. Check out the HP website.

http://www.hp.com/bizsupport/warranty_upgrades/global_warranty.html
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Aug 12, 2004 10:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

And the warranty is the legal responsibility of the retailer not the manufacturer regardless of what some outlets may claim so I wouldn't be concerned.

If you get a problem that requires warranty service and HP claim it is not covered (and I'm certain that worldwide warranty is the case here anyway) then deal with GloPos for a resolution.
DaNovice
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Aug 20, 2004 10:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It seems that TotalPDA, by publishing information on their site it suits their purpose. Scaring people into questioning where their goods come from and worrying about about a warranty.

It is not in fact correct, and HP do offer worldwide guarantee on their Ipaq's, and ask for the serial number of the Ipaq.
MrT
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Aug 21, 2004 6:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would advise buying an HP Care Pack for about £60 which extends the warranty by two years and offers a next day courier replacement. Its not a bad price for a £400 PDA and when you lose your PDA through a fault you wonder how you lived before without it.
Skippy
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Sun Aug 22, 2004 10:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MrT wrote:
I would advise buying an HP Care Pack for about £60 which extends the warranty by two years and offers a next day courier replacement. Its not a bad price for a £400 PDA and when you lose your PDA through a fault you wonder how you lived before without it.

These PDAs are already selling for $350 in the USA, that's under £200. In a year's time when the manufacturer's warranty runs out the PDA would cost about £100 to replace. These extended warranties exclude lots of things too - your PDA is far more likely to get dropped, run over, stolen, lost or flushed down the crapper than suffer a hardware failure.

If the PDA breaks after two years then you would proably be wanting to buy a bigger, better, faster new one anyway, not get a "free" replacement one under the extended warranty.

I suppose you think the extended warranties from Dixons are good value too?
Tim Buxton
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Aug 23, 2004 7:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I bought my 5555 from the USA via eBay; it is a refurbished unit. When it carried out several spontaneous hard resets I contacted HP in the UK (possibly!) and they collected it via courier, fixed it and returned it via the same method with no quibbles.
StevenGourlay
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Sep 30, 2004 1:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just to answer your question as a member of our forum currently asked the same question.

When you buy HP GREY MARKET goods, if the reseller has not cut off the label, it will clearly say on the outside of the box "NOT FOR SALE IN EUROPE". The two main pit falls for customers are

1. HP last month took a reseller to court for selling GREY MARKET products and WON. That company has now just gone in to ADMINISTRATION and they have many more in their sights. Where will that leave an unsuspecting customer who doesn't know they are buying GREY MARKET PRODUCT?

2. If there is a fault and this within 30 days then HP will ask you to return to the retailer for exchange. The HP

process for selling is .HP,>UK Distributor,> Retailer,>Customer. If the goods are faulty then the reverse applies, Customer,> Retailer >UK Distributor> HP. So if the goods have not been bought through UK Distribution then you can see exactly where the problem will occur. The retailer will not be able to send back to the UK distributor but will have to send to the far east for a repair. You can imagine if the reseller is buying grey market products then they as a company will usually not be reputable and this can then cause the customer a lot of problems.

The reason HP offer a worldwide warranty is for customers travelling from one country to the next and if a problem occurs with a mobile product they will repair it in that country.

Original forum post can be found at http://www.totalpda.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?t=1490

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Retailers to buy from or avoid All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: