Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Mapshare Updates
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Mapshare Updates

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
EricWB
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Apr 07, 2011 4:54 pm    Post subject: Mapshare Updates Reply with quote

I know that many contributors to this Forum (hello Dennis) are not keen upon using mapshare updates, but they must have some significant contribution to make.

I only use those updates confirmed/approved by TT and already my device has 1045 updates on the UK & ROI map since the map release about six weeks ago.
DennisN
Tired Old Man
Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Thu Apr 07, 2011 7:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello Very Happy

If it tastes good - it's fattening.

Two of them are obesiting!!
AndyVaughan
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 07, 2011 7:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

How did I know Dennis would be the first to reply Laughing
falkirk81
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Thu Apr 07, 2011 7:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dennis has a filter to show up any posts with the words 'MapShare' in them Very Happy

iPhone 12
DennisN
Tired Old Man
Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Thu Apr 07, 2011 8:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It was an absolute bluddy coincidence!! Due to work and footie on Telly last night, I haven't been on the site since Tuesday and I have been looking at the sixty odd Posts Since Last Visit to catch up.

You'll note I didn't rise to the challenge to ask what mega changes he's found. Like maybe a few hundred new POIs in the MacDonalds/KFC/Miss Millie's/PizzaHut categories? Nor did I ask him how much slower his TT is now with over 1,000 bits of junk (sorry MapShare Corrections) rattling around inside his map. I'm presuming here that he hasn't received Corrections for Paris and Majorca as he has a 520 (UK/ROI). Very Happy

DennisN
Tired Old Man
Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Thu Apr 07, 2011 8:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

PS.... Joker Joker Joker Verified corrections, anybody?

AndyVaughan
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 07, 2011 8:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's more like it Exclamation
DennisN
Tired Old Man
Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Thu Apr 07, 2011 9:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You've got to feel sorry for Eric - he needs somebody to come along and agree with him that it's a "good thing" to have MapShare downloads and all he gets is wicked old me and two others who already know I'm a plonker!

EricWB
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Apr 07, 2011 10:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am not really looking for someone to hold my hand I would like to learn if anyone has experience of submitting updates they personally know are valid and correct and if they do get included?

Or the other way round where users have encountered complete rubbish that's all down to mapshare errors.

Out of 1045 in a short period of time, some of them must be valid, you cant just keep saying its rubbish but Pocket GPS cameras are the best thing since sliced bread, as presumably the information is being submitted by similar people just to different HQ.
M8TJT
The Other Tired Old Man
The Other Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Thu Apr 07, 2011 10:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

EricWB wrote:
Out of 1045 in a short period of time, some of them must be valid

Some of them probably are Shocked
EricWB wrote:
you cant just keep saying its rubbish but Pocket GPS cameras are the best thing since sliced bread, as presumably the information is being submitted by similar people just to different HQ.
Yes you can because each entry to our sliced bread is checked by trusted and accurate people before it is included in the database. Very Happy
However, the occasional error does get through the verification process Sad (A 35MPH mobile springs to mind)
DennisN
Tired Old Man
Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Thu Apr 07, 2011 11:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, completely agree with you, there MUST be any number (indeed, a lot) of accurate MapShare submissions. It was tongue in cheek if you took it as me suggesting you needed hand-holding, I'm sure you don't and I'm sure you wanted to know exactly what you've just said. One of my corrections has been implemented - but TT have never told me it was down to my submissions (and they don't offer any reward if I'm proven to be correct - say a reduced price for the next map, perhaps?)

But there is an enormous difference with pgpsw cameras - they are verified by actual trusted people employed (for no payment) to do just that and cameras don't get into the database unless they have been verified (only exception being verification can be caused by several members all submitting the same details). TT have never ever said how they verify. At pgpsw, we are very upfront about it, even to the extent that we admit some cameras take a very long time to verify (maybe even "if ever!!"), simply because the verification is done by (trusted) Verifiers who do it voluntarily, so only when they are passing a reported site. Indeed, if you search the site, you'll easily find several topics of complaint about us not putting a particular camera into the database and when are we ever going to get off our backsides and deal with it? And we leave those topics in full view of everybody - I can delete any topic or any single post with a simply single click of one button (available to me and every other Moderator). But we don't do it. Recently I went on another website and commented that their Auto-censor was pretty poor - somebody there edited it to read "The Moderators here are pretty good", without so much as a comment. I can also edit any post here, but we don't do that either.

TomTom have recently set up a discussion forum of their own. I have yet to see TT answer any questions about maps or faults in their devices.

Guivre46
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Apr 07, 2011 11:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Been having a dig at TT safety cameras on the TT Forum, Kenneth, who seems to be the topman, has responded that they are put on the d/b very quickly, and that mobile cameras are removed after 3 hours. Rolling Eyes
Kia In-dash Tomtom
DennisN
Tired Old Man
Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Thu Apr 07, 2011 11:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

How do they verify them?
Have you tried him with MapShare corrections?

Guivre46
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Apr 08, 2011 9:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

No, but I have pointed out nicely that there is often a 'tension' between customers and some less than wll-informed support staff.
Kia In-dash Tomtom

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: