Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
SurfShark Antivirus
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Junction instructions wrong but map is correct (TT1000)
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Junction instructions wrong but map is correct (TT1000)
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mr-B
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Apr 04, 2011 10:11 am    Post subject: Junction instructions wrong but map is correct (TT1000) Reply with quote

Hi

My new TT1000 has an intermittent issue in that sometimes it speaks the wrong instructions at a roundabout i.e. it says to take the first exit, but the map shows the correct route. The junction icon also shows the wrong roundabout exit. I'm running App 10.111.647853.74 with Map Europe v865.3243.

I've logged it with TT support, but they seem to explain it away with incorrect maps, corrupted voices etc. :-(

Has anyone else seen this?
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Apr 04, 2011 10:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can you give an example so we can check to see if it happens on ours? (we may have different map and software versions)

The easiest way to describe it to others is to give a Latitude and Longitude for the roundabout - you can set your "View map" screen to show the coordinates by tapping "Options / Advanced" at the bottom of that screen and selecting "Coordinates".
Much quicker than having to work it out from a description!
Mr-B
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Apr 04, 2011 11:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not sure about getting the Lat/Long as I'm not doing that route for a few days and the online maps don't appear to display it, but it happened when travelling down the M40 southbound and exiting at junction 4 Handy Cross on a route to the M4. It said (and the icon shows) to take the A4010 1st exit when in fact the map route correctly indicated to take the 3rd exit A404 south.
http://maps.google.co.uk/maps?f=q&source=s_q&hl=en&geocode=&q=handy+cross&aq=&sll=52.285754,-1.530934&sspn=0.010645,0.018153&ie=UTF8&hq=&hnear=Handy+Cross,+Little+Marlow,+Buckinghamshire,+United+Kingdom&ll=51.612634,-0.768957&spn=0.010806,0.018153&z=16

I've just tried the route demo but it doesn't speed up when on a long M-way section, so it'd take too long to get to that junction!
Then I tried Show Route Summary which shows an overview map, but when I click on Details, it goes back to the menu. :-(
Mr-B
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Apr 04, 2011 11:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK I found how to replicate this on my TT1000.
Plan a route from somewhere north on the M40 to, say Slough.
Then View Route, Show Instructions. It shows:

turn left - M40 London
exit left - 4 Maidenhead [I presume this means Junction 4]
take 1st exit - A404 Slough
straight ahead (2nd exit) - A404 Maidenhead
etc.

The 1st exit - A404 Slough should be take 3rd exit towards A404 Slough.

I've also seen this issue on another A-road roundabout.
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Apr 05, 2011 9:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mr-B wrote:
Not sure about getting the Lat/Long as I'm not doing that route for a few days and the online maps don't appear to display it,

The co-ordinates display is on the TomTom itself, but only on the "Browse map" or "View map" screen, not the ordinaty navigation screen. So the way to get it would be to set up your demo route and then "find" the most recent destination while on the browse map screen.

Mr-B wrote:
but it happened when travelling down the M40 southbound and exiting at junction 4 Handy Cross on a route to the M4. It said (and the icon shows) to take the A4010 1st exit when in fact the map route correctly indicated to take the 3rd exit A404 south.
http://maps.google.co.uk/maps?f=q&source=s_q&hl=en&geocode=&q=handy+cross&aq=&sll=52.285754,-1.530934&sspn=0.010645,0.018153&ie=UTF8&hq=&hnear=Handy+Cross,+Little+Marlow,+Buckinghamshire,+United+Kingdom&ll=51.612634,-0.768957&spn=0.010806,0.018153&z=16

Laughing Out Loud, the coordinates are in your link....
Lat 51.612634, Long -0.768957 (where "-" is the same as "west")

Mr-B wrote:
I've just tried the route demo but it doesn't speed up when on a long M-way section, so it'd take too long to get to that junction!

You can just set the demo route to begin a mile or so from the junction! Smile

Mr-B wrote:
Then I tried Show Route Summary which shows an overview map, but when I click on Details, it goes back to the menu. :-(

True.

Mr-B wrote:
OK I found how to replicate this on my TT1000.
Plan a route from somewhere north on the M40 to, say Slough.

Cool, you've sussed it. Smile

Mr-B wrote:
Then View Route, Show Instructions. It shows:

turn left - M40 London
exit left - 4 Maidenhead [I presume this means Junction 4]
take 1st exit - A404 Slough
straight ahead (2nd exit) - A404 Maidenhead
etc.

The 1st exit - A404 Slough should be take 3rd exit towards A404 Slough.

Right... back to the real issue....

YES! I can confirm exactly the same thing happens on a Go940 running latest software and v865 maps as well as on a Go1000.

Voice instructions at this point: "Go left on the roundabout, 1st exit"

I'll get it reported to TomTom.
M8TJT
The Other Tired Old Man
The Other Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Tue Apr 05, 2011 10:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

iGO does something similar. On the approach up the slip road it says turn RIGHT, and does not seem to think there is a roundabout untill it has passed the slip back on to the M40, then it says take first exit, but this is as you go over the M40, so it IS the first exit Shocked Confused It's seems to me that it's fairly obviously a mapping error Sad
Guivre46
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Apr 05, 2011 11:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Are the other two exits/entries on the roundabout shown as blocked in someway? Has mapshare struck again?
Kia In-dash Tomtom
M8TJT
The Other Tired Old Man
The Other Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Tue Apr 05, 2011 11:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No. No mapshare on my device. It's a bit funny if you take the first exit as well. It seems to recognise the 'outer' roundabout after you have left the 'inner' roundabout Confused
Border_Collie
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Wed Apr 06, 2011 2:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
iGO does something similar

TeleAtlas maps?

iGO PRIMO with Navteq maps.

In a 1/4 mile keep left.
Keep left (at about 50-100 yards before exit)
In 390 yards keep right then turn sharp right. (once on the sliproad)
Turn sharp right (just before sliproad back to M40)
Take first exit. (after passing slip road)

Slightly odd but a bit better.

(I'll try it on my TT later).
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Apr 06, 2011 12:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TT HQ have logged it as an issue for the mapping department to sort out.
cazian
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Apr 06, 2011 4:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't know if it makes any difference, but there were very major changes in the layout of the Handy Cross roundabout, near High Wycombe - but probably about 5 years ago. Maybe this is a factor?
MrT
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Apr 06, 2011 6:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Possibly the software cannot cope with a roundabout with a shortcut across it without turning it into a complex set of junctions instead?

I can remember approaching this junction Westbound on the M40 to turn South on the A404 towards Marlow and my TT took me onto the roundabout (saying keep right lane or similar) then wanted me to turn left across the inner most "slip lanes" which I should have taken in the first place. This was around Sept/Oct last year using whatever was the latest software and maps.
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Apr 06, 2011 6:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MrT wrote:
Possibly the software cannot cope with a roundabout with a shortcut across it without turning it into a complex set of junctions instead?

But the red line showing the route is perfectly clear in this case, so I don't see how it can change a right turn into left turn however complicated the juntion is. Icould understand it if it suddenly said something different as soon as you entered the junction, but it seems perfectly happy with both what it has said AND that you are doing the opposite.
Mr-B
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Apr 06, 2011 10:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow - tx for all the testing and info - and to confirm that it wasn't me seeing things! Wink
Mr-B
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Apr 06, 2011 10:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just found another example - try navigating a route from Leamington Spa, Binswood Street, (crossing @ A452 Clarendon Square) to Leamington Spa, Northumberland Road (crossing @ A452 Kenilworth Road).

This involves crossing a (small) roundabout with a shortcut to the first exit. TT says to turn left but the map route correctly shows taking the 2nd exit (straight on).

http://maps.google.co.uk/maps?f=d&source=s_d&saddr=Binswood+Street,+Leamington+Spa&daddr=Northumberland+Rd,+Leamington+Spa,+CV32,+UK&hl=en&geocode=FZn2HQMd3n_o_ymDEqb96DR3SDHWNH62hfITpw%3BFX4PHgMd5n_o_ykngzdg3TR3SDHi3nsV1uaALw&mra=ls&sll=52.295692,-1.540264&sspn=0.002566,0.004538&ie=UTF8&ll=52.296,-1.540146&spn=0.005131,0.009077&z=17

I checked another roundabout with a shortcut but that seems to be fine, so no idea if that aspect is relevant.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: