Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - TT520 built in memory problem.
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

TT520 built in memory problem.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Lemons
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Apr 01, 2011 10:48 pm    Post subject: TT520 built in memory problem. Reply with quote

My 520T will only work off of the 1Gb SD card. WXP can "see" the internal memory but if I try to explore or open the drive WXP asks "insert a disk into drive:I" Disk properties tell me I have, Used Space - 0 bytes and Free Space - 0 bytes. And no media present. I can't seem to access the drive in any way, is it dead or is there some way to recover it?
AliOnHols
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Fri Apr 01, 2011 11:47 pm    Post subject: Re: TT520 built in memory problem. Reply with quote

Lemons wrote:
..... I can't seem to access the drive in any way, is it dead or is there some way to recover it?

Perhaps I should not be replying first but, being a non-windows user myself, Linux can be a great tool for accessing dead/un-readable drives. If you have no joy with the following (yet to come) suggestions and you are feeling brave, let me know and we can try a walk-through using PuppyLinux and/or SystemRescueCd. These work from a CD and do not touch/alter your existing Operating System in any way.

EDIT - The internal memory on early GO's 5xx, 7xx & 9xx appear to fail after a few years and sometimes only work successfully using an SD card. Do you have anything specifically you need to recover from your TT or just want to see it working again?
SatMap Active 10 & 20.
EricWB
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Apr 02, 2011 9:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

As I don't have the advantage of knowing how your PC is configured are you sure the I drive is referring to the internal drive of your TT?

I only ask this because my PC has a multi card reader as do many machines these days and the first additional drive letter of anything connected will be J.

My 520 is in the car at the moment when I get it in here with me I will see what comes up with a card inserted in it.
EricWB
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Apr 02, 2011 11:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK I have now collected my 520 from the car, installed my card and connected the TT to the PC it now shows as two drives both identified with a TT Icon.

The bit I don't quite understand is that the card is identified as "L" whilst the internal memory is "M" I would have thought the device would have been connected to the PC before the card and therefore been allocated the earlier letter code but perhaps I had used the card for something else before.

So this does not help you I am sorry.
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Apr 02, 2011 2:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It sounds like the OP's Flash Memory has died, at least with a copy of your Backup on the SD card it works so I would stick with that, memory chips are not replaceable so its not repairable - Mike
IanS100
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Apr 02, 2011 4:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It may not be much consolation but when I had a 520 I found it worked better with the full o/s & maps on a fast SD card. I've no idea what TomTom use for memory chips but they're clearly budget items
young-goat
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 02, 2011 5:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

IanS100 wrote:
It may not be much consolation but when I had a 520 I found it worked better with the full o/s & maps on a fast SD card. I've no idea what TomTom use for memory chips but they're clearly budget items
I have the same situation with my GO530, internal memory 'kaput'
I've swapped e-mails etc with TT support and they are sending me a 'returns pack' so it can be repaired or replaced.
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Apr 03, 2011 1:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

young-goat wrote:
I have the same situation with my GO530, internal memory 'kaput' .

Same here with a Go720. The internal memory on these models does seem a bit fragile. As others have said, just move everything onto a fast SD card and carry on as if nothing had happened.

EricWB wrote:

The bit I don't quite understand is that the card is identified as "L" whilst the internal memory is "M" I would have thought the device would have been connected to the PC before the card and therefore been allocated the earlier letter code.

Nope, unless you "force" Windows to use specific drive letters, it will always assign the SD card slot as the lower letter and the Internal memory as the higher.

And if you happen to install another hard drive at some point it's quite possible to end up with the two TomTom drive letters being separated by several letters (such as J and M, for example).
robbooth
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 03, 2011 10:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is a bit O/T but one useful tip if you have working internal memory and memory card is to go into the autorun.inf file on the memory card (double click it) and change the text in the label line to make it easier to identify each one.

On my 940 the internal memory has the following in its autorun.inf
[autorun]
action=Run TomTom HOME
open=InstallTomTomHOME.exe
label=TomTom 940 Internal
icon=tomtom.ico
[DeviceInstall]
#This section is empty; autorun will not install device drivers to your PC.

And I modified the label line for the memory card autorun.inf:
[autorun]
action=Run TomTom HOME
open=InstallTomTomHOME.exe
label=TomTom 940 Memory Card
icon=tomtom.ico
[DeviceInstall]
#This section is empty; autorun will not install device drivers to your PC.

Which makes it a bit easier to know which is which when using explorer :

Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Apr 04, 2011 1:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can change the icon too....

Just make or find the icon, save it on the TT drive as TT_SD.ico and change that line in the .inf file as well.
Mine (on the SD card) reads:
label=TomTom G0940 SD
icon=TT_SD.ico
robbooth
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 04, 2011 7:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Where did you get your icon from?
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Apr 04, 2011 10:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

To be honest I can't remember!
It's either one that member GerryC made or one that I made myself (I think there was a suitable graphic on a TT Home screen that I could screen grab and tweak.

Anyway, you're welcome to use whatever I have....I found some alternatives including Gerry's ones and a sample .inf file as a zip archive ... you can download it here.
robbooth
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 04, 2011 12:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cheers Andy! Very Happy

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: