Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - 'Navigate to' on TT XL2 IQ using Lat/Long co-ordinates
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

'Navigate to' on TT XL2 IQ using Lat/Long co-ordinates

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
hoggies
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Apr 02, 2011 3:54 pm    Post subject: 'Navigate to' on TT XL2 IQ using Lat/Long co-ordinates Reply with quote

I'm sorry, I've just spent a fruitless half an hour searching for the answer, but I can't find it. (I also posted this in the wrong place - sorry again!)

My chum has just bought the above device, and when we were comparing notes, (I have a TT ONE v.2) I was amazed to discover that he cannot 'Navigate to' by entering a Lat/Long co-ordinate, only by address or postcode.

Is this correct? Or are we both missing something simple in the instructions?

I live in France, postcodes don't work here, and addresses can be quite imprecise, so a Lat/Long co-ordinate is very often the only way to get to where you want to go.

Do all the latest Tomtoms no longer have this facility? And what other functions are missing? And why?

Looks like I might have to go elsewhere when I need to replace my ONE.

Regards
David
dhn
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Apr 02, 2011 4:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

All the models with a '2' in the name signify an EasyMenu model with far fewer user choices.

The lack of navigating to lat/long is one of them.
IanS100
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Apr 02, 2011 4:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

During the summer I tried to find my daughter on a campsite in North Wales using Lat/Long co-ordinates - she took the co-ordinates from a 520 which I entered into a 550; I was then directed to an offshore campsite somewhere in the Irish Sea. We later double checked the 2 sat navs but they both gave different readings, no idea why or which was correct. I'll try it again this year between a 750 & a 550 and I'll take my water wings just in case Laughing
EricWB
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Apr 02, 2011 5:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have just discovered the wonders of Tyre software that can plot a route using Google maps, then create a file for transfer to a TT device.

That can then be followed as an itinerary route, I think it uses lat/long coordinates for each of its way points and it works fine.
dhn
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Apr 02, 2011 5:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Except EasyMenu models don't have Itinerary Planning so that won't work on them.
hoggies
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Apr 02, 2011 6:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for that, David.

Does the TT XXL IQ have full functionality, do you know? (I'm just looking to the future when I may need to replace my ONE)

I don't need (or want to pay for) any 'Live' functions, so what are my options?

Grateful for any advice

Cheers
David
dhn
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Apr 02, 2011 6:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That model should but make sure it has text-to-speech on it.
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Apr 03, 2011 1:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

(originally posted in reply to the duplicate of the topic in another forum section)

Not ALL new TomToms have the Navigate to Lat/Long feature missing, just the cheaper ones.

TT seem to have decided to make a bigger difference between the high-end and low-end models, but in typical TomTom style they don't bother to tell you what features they have left out, thus annoying the pants of an awful lot of people.

There is a "tweak" you can do to these models with the "simplified" (a.k.a. "dumbed-down") menu to give you some of the other missing features back, but I don't *think it gives you Lat/Long functionality back.

Have a search of the TomTom section for "custom menu" to find more details.
mccririck
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Apr 03, 2011 11:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cutting out a simple feature like navigate to long/lat just shows how pathetic TomTom are.
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Apr 04, 2011 1:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mccririck wrote:
Cutting out a simple feature....

TT would say they DIDN'T cut it out.... they made a new (cheaper) model that didn't have it.

We don't know that they didn't do extensive user research. They may have found that only a very small percentage of their target market for the new models ever used that feature.

Personally, I think it's stupid to leave stuff off that existing users have got used to WITHOUT telling people exactly what the different models can, and can't do.
mccririck
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Apr 04, 2011 7:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh they definitely cut it out. It would have been there in the basic code for years, they must have made a conscious decision to remove it, and the thing is it's such a basic thing why would they even bother researching how many people use it?
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Apr 04, 2011 7:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

How about they got lots of calls from users who didn't understand the coordinate system and got lost as a direct result of not using it correctly, quite easy to muddle up DMS, DMM or DD and whilst the device can sort out certain entries it doesn't cover them all.

Easy way to reduce the number of support calls about a specific function is to delete the functionality, shame they didn't just remove the menu icon so those that want the feature just have to add a custom menu but that would have been too easy! - Mike
mccririck
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Apr 04, 2011 7:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I doubt it. Why did they leave off all those other features from the Easymenu system that they ended up reinstating because people complained? It's really bizarre, and I dont believe they had complaints about it from stupid people, most people who dont understand a feature dont use it.
Guivre46
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Apr 04, 2011 11:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hoggies wrote:
Thanks for that, David.

Does the TT XXL IQ have full functionality, do you know? (I'm just looking to the future when I may need to replace my ONE)

I don't need (or want to pay for) any 'Live' functions, so what are my options?

Grateful for any advice

Cheers
David

XXL is the last non-Live TT in production with full functionality. It only has 2 Gb of internal memory and consequently the new W&CE map has to be used in separate zones. The 100x/Via series supposedly has non-live versions, but I've not seen them advertised in the UK.
Kia In-dash Tomtom

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: