Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Go 1000 "Connecting to TomTom"
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Go 1000 "Connecting to TomTom"

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mr-B
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Mar 19, 2011 10:48 am    Post subject: Go 1000 "Connecting to TomTom" Reply with quote

Hi

I've just upgraded my trusty old Palm T3 running Navigator 5.201 to a Go 1000 and am trying to update the device s/w.

I installed the "My TomTom" applet which just sits there saying "Connecting to TomTom ...". Then I logged into the "My Tomtom" webpage and it said there was updated Navigator 10.495 s/w available (so I assume the applet must have connected to my device at some point). But after ticking the s/w and clicking on Start Downloading, the web page now sits there saying "Connecting".

I'm confused about the terminology of "MyTomTom" - is it my device, the TT web page. or something else? In other words is the connection problem to my device or the web page?

(Also I've found that my old Palm with Navigator v5 is actually more responsive than the TT1000! That's progress for you ...) Wink
technik
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 19, 2011 11:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Try holding down the GO1000 power button untill you hear the drums, about 15 seconds later.

The web page should say connected.

Try another USB port, preferably one that connects direct to the computer rather than via a USB hub.

If the applett says connected and it's downloading then it's ok.

TomTom Home 3 should be v3.0.2.267
Mr-B
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Mar 19, 2011 1:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes it was powered on already, so I disconnected the plug from the device, reconnected it and it magically the applet and web site both said connected! I managed to download the s/w update and it seemed to be OK.

Then I tried updating the maps, and during the update process the device said "Something has gone wrong ... connection to the server was lost. Keep your device connected." The MyTomTom applet says "Busy" and Please keep your TT device connected.

Of course the problem with the latter message is that it's not clear whether it still has the connection or not, nor whether it's the USB connection or the TT server that is the issue.
Next I'll try moving it from my powered USB hub to a local USB port.
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Mar 20, 2011 9:12 pm    Post subject: Re: Go 1000 "Connecting to TomTom" Reply with quote

Mr-B wrote:

I'm confused about the terminology of "MyTomTom" - is it my device, the TT web page. or something else?

It's both!....a spectacularly dumb bit of decision making by TT to my mind.

In fact, you even get to say.. "I have to click on 'MyTomTom', in 'MyTomTom', to go to 'MyTomTom'!"

Mr-B wrote:
In other words is the connection problem to my device or the web page?

In this case it sounds like the connection to the device is the issue, but this new system is VERY prone to misleading messages,or messages that do not match between the MyTT applet and the MyTT webpage.

If the problem persists, you can delete the connection setup in Control Panel / Network connections. Next time you connect, Windows should re-make it.
Mr-B
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Mar 20, 2011 9:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, this kind of update task should pretty basic stuff these days to implement reliably, but it appears that the new MTT process seems to be making a right dogs dinner of it. Maybe they gave it as a project to an intern? Rolling Eyes

My map update finally worked after around 8 attempts ( I think you're right about it being a device connection issue) - see what I did at
http://www.pocketgpsworld.com/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&p=553881#553881
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Mar 20, 2011 9:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maybe they've only got interns left!

Quote:
Senior Software Engineer

Company: Tomtom Group

Date Posted: March 20, 2011

The position will involve software development of the Companys products on a short and medium term cycle. You will have the chance to work on software that will be used by millions of people in their daily commute.

I've long believed that they lost someone who had created a very major part of the core software design, but who kept it in his head.
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Mar 20, 2011 10:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Andy_P wrote:
I've long believed that they lost someone who had created a very major part of the core software design, but who kept it in his head.

+1 - Mike
Guivre46
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Mar 20, 2011 11:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So the original thought that support forums would become redundant goes through 180, as we learn how to coax the new devices and the clunking interface to deliver the goods.
Kia In-dash Tomtom

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: